[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#46 Post by crawf » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:33 am

Ho Really wrote:
crawf wrote:
Ho Really wrote: Patrick_27 you obviously didn't read my statement. The Entertainment Centre is perfect for those events that need plenty of room. Are you suggesting that events like motorcross or Disney on Ice should be performed at the a new Memorial Drive centre?
Why not?. These type of events are performed at the new Perth Arena

crawf, in an utopian world you could build whatever you want, wherever you want. Problem is you haven't got the money to do all this.
This is true. However a new tennis or multipurpose venue is still at least a few years away from seeing the light of day. The State Government still has got plenty of time to get it's finances back on track (wishful thinking I know) and create a master plan for a new venue.

I'd love for a new venue to be built right now, though the last thing this state needs is something cheap or half-arsed. Build it right, or don't build it all.
Right now we have substandard venues for major concerts/events, basketball and tennis. So wouldn't it make more economic sense to construct a large multi-purpose arena (13-15k capacity) for those tenants which will be beneficial to the state but also attract other international events to Adelaide. This could include the FINA World Aquatics Championships, Commonwealth Games and perhaps pouching the Kooyong AAMI Classic from Melbourne.
Putting all your eggs in one basket and being big is not always best crawf. Why do you want to attract swimming to Memorial Drive if you already have a FINA approved venue like Marion?
Marion is a great venue. Though I believe it could be too small to host a major swimming event such as the FINA Aquatic Championships. Melbourne had the same problem in 2007, and how they overcame the capacity issue was constructing a temporary pool at Rod Laver Arena. Adelaide could do something similar... that's if a new venue is built ofcourse.

This is just one example of what could be held at a new large arena
As for the Commonwealth Games it will be a waste of taxpayer money. It will only be good for the State's ego but nothing else.
I disagree. Sure it's not a A-grade event, but it's still a major competition that would bring exposure to SA and help spur improvements towards infrastructure and sporting facilities. Even if it did just boast the state's ego only, then that would be a success IMO considering how confidence is so low here.

If we are not careful after 2018, Perth could get the next Australian hosting rights. Which could mean most of us will unlikely see an Adelaide Comm Games in our life time.
monotonehell wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:I would think any redevelopment of Memorial Drive would go in hand with a second Riverbank footbridge.
No sure if serious.
It's not that crazy. A second footbridge alongside Morphett Street is included in the riverbank master plan.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by omada » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:04 pm

A swanky new stadium would be fab, but where is the state govt meant to conjure up all the money? For each sports stadium built, there is less money for other, oft essential, infrastructure like monorails! (hehe). Or trams etc

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:08 pm

crawf wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:I would think any redevelopment of Memorial Drive would go in hand with a second Riverbank footbridge.
No sure if serious.
It's not that crazy. A second footbridge alongside Morphett Street is included in the riverbank master plan.
Ah I see, apologies to teh Shuz.
omada wrote:A swanky new stadium would be fab, but where is the state govt meant to conjure up all the money? For each sports stadium built, there is less money for other, oft essential, infrastructure like monorails! (hehe). Or trams etc
:banana:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by crawf » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Well well... If they are going to combine sports into a new large multi-purpose arena (18k capacity sounds extreme) then they should also bite the bullet and make it a concert venue aswell.
Plans to spend $200m converting Memorial Drive into multi-sport complex for tennis, basketball and netball
JESPER FJELDSTAD SUNDAY MAIL (SA) FEBRUARY 15, 2015 9:55AM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pl ... a952f22311

ADELAIDE Oval’s success since being rebuilt is now likely to lead to a $200 million multi-sport centre to be built next door to house tennis, basketball and netball.

The State Government is in talks with all three sports in a bid to further enhance the Riverbank sporting precinct and plans are taking shape to build a multi-sport complex on the site of the Memorial Drive courts.

It comes as Adelaide has lost its ATP tennis event to Brisbane because of the standard of the new complex built there. The move has also been prompted as the Government recognises its bids for international events are weakened because of its lack of a world-class facility.

A new, closed-roof facility would put Adelaide in a prime position to host netball Tests, international basketball and Davis Cup and Federation Cup ties.

It would also give Adelaide a chance to again convince the world bodies of men’s and women’s tennis to consider allocating an event in Adelaide.

Sports Minister Leon Bignell told The Advertiser there was not enough cash in the coffers to build the complex during the current Labor term, but that it was envisaged it could be built in a time frame of between five and 10 years.

It would be a major boost in setting up Adelaide for a bid for hosting a Commonwealth Games.

The project is shaping as a strong prospect; not only have the sports indicated their interest, the Government has also done its research by visiting other multi-sports venues around the world. The project has been likened to Rod Laver Arena, the home of the Australian Open, and it is understood the ideal crowd capacity would be around 18,000 for the Adelaide venue.

“There’s no doubt it would be great to develop Memorial Drive,’’ Mr Bignell said.

“The question needs to be: would we do it just for a tennis venue or do it for a multi-purpose venue?

“People are used to catching the train into the city now and walking across the bridge to Adelaide Oval.

“That suits your footy fans and your cricket fans and concerts.

“But in the future, and I’m not talking about next year, should we look at having netball and our national basketball teams playing next door to Adelaide Oval?

“There’s still a way to go but the days of having their own stadiums . . . it’s so expensive.

“The fact that we’ve been able to move football and cricket together has meant that we have one of the best stadiums in Australia.

“If football and cricket had decided to work apart, that they had been for 40 years, neither would be in such a wonderful stadium.

“We can do something really good with that location.

“It would become a mecca for us, where we have footy, cricket, basketball, netball, tennis and whoever else wants to play there right next to a railway line and a bridge that connects everyone.’’

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#50 Post by fifty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:26 pm

I was always preferring a smaller boutique type venue - eg. Margaret Court Arena - but if the timeframe is 10-15 years, then no point going half measures. Make it large, and adaptable to also host smaller crowds. 18,000 would make it the largest of its type in Australia I'm guessing, so maybe overkill. 10-12,000 sounds about right.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:25 am

I smell an election promise coming up just before March 2018...
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ho Really

#52 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:36 am

What do you think? Yes, it will be an election promise. Seeing Leon Bignell so excited about the India-Pakistan match at Adelaide Oval he's had a rush of blood. So please no BS talk, build the damn thing now and build it right! Build it for the sports that are going to use it. Start thinking about organising (ongoing) international events that will reap benefits to Adelaide and the state. Forget the BS about the Commonwealth Games. A one-off event that no one is interested in. Think out of the box!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Patrick_27

#53 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 pm

fifty wrote:I was always preferring a smaller boutique type venue - eg. Margaret Court Arena - but if the timeframe is 10-15 years, then no point going half measures. Make it large, and adaptable to also host smaller crowds. 18,000 would make it the largest of its type in Australia I'm guessing, so maybe overkill. 10-12,000 sounds about right.
It'd be the second largest to Sydney Super Dome (a.k.a. Allphones Arena) which is 21,000 capacity, but if they're projecting this to be finalised for construction in the next five to ten years, 18,000 isn't too much factoring in forecasted population growth.

I'm still concerned that they haven't included live music into the fixtures of this proposed venue. I feel it's nothing more than politics because the current Labor government know that the Liberals would eat them alive for spending so much on an upgrade of the AEC if there was already consideration being made for a new multi-purpose arena in the city. Truth is, with the projected completion of such a venue - I feel the AEC would already be due for further upgrades anyway. So why not think ahead?

ChillyPhilly

#54 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:41 pm

Upgrade Hindmarsh first. That's more urgent.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#55 Post by obituary resider » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 pm

While we are on the subject of pipe dreams and Hindmarsh Stadium, if the entertainment centre was to relocated to memorial drive (which it surely would if a multi-purpose venue is proposed) then it would free up land that could be used to create a footballing (soccer) complex around/adjacent hindmarsh stadium while also providing better linkage with the tram stops. Which would also mean the flashy dome thing outside the EC could still be used!

Patrick_27

#56 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:10 pm

obituary resider wrote:While we are on the subject of pipe dreams and Hindmarsh Stadium, if the entertainment centre was to relocated to memorial drive (which it surely would if a multi-purpose venue is proposed) then it would free up land that could be used to create a footballing (soccer) complex around/adjacent hindmarsh stadium while also providing better linkage with the tram stops. Which would also mean the flashy dome thing outside the EC could still be used!
I tend to agree with this. However, the ET site could also be allocated to an extension of the Bowden site over Port Road.

I feel like if a new arena is built in the expected ten year time frame, that a tram to the airport will also no doubt surfacing around the same time and therefore would make a lot of sense to building a new soccer stadium where ETSA Park is... It'd be next to the tram and train lines, nearby our state's athletics venue, and still close to the city with a lot of available park nearby.

Ho Really

#57 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:04 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Upgrade Hindmarsh first. That's more urgent.
Hindmarsh Stadium (Coopers Stadium) should have been upgraded properly a long time ago, but unfortunately mistakes were made. Besides the location at Hindmarsh is pathetic. A rectangle within a triangle. It was fine in the days of the NSL when West Adelaide (Hellas) and Adelaide City (Juventus) played, but these days venues need to be centralised, close to public transport, parking spaces and other pre- and post-match amenities. A brand new fully covered FIFA-sanctioned stadium with a minimum 25,000 seating capacity. Anything less would be a wasted opportunity. No more to say!

Cheers

Nathan

#58 Post by Nathan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:27 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Hindmarsh Stadium (Coopers Stadium) should have been upgraded properly a long time ago, but unfortunately mistakes were made. Besides the location at Hindmarsh is pathetic. A rectangle within a triangle. It was fine in the days of the NSL when West Adelaide (Hellas) and Adelaide City (Juventus) played, but these days venues need to be centralised, close to public transport, parking spaces and other pre- and post-match amenities. A brand new fully covered FIFA-sanctioned stadium with a minimum 25,000 seating capacity. Anything less would be a wasted opportunity. No more to say!

Cheers
Hindmarsh is connected to trains, tram and numerous bus routes; has a large multi storey car park at AEC, and has an (increasing) number of restaurants, pubs and bars in it's immediate vicinity. It's certainly no AAMI stadium or Adelaide Arena in terms of location.

Ho Really

#59 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
obituary resider wrote:While we are on the subject of pipe dreams and Hindmarsh Stadium, if the entertainment centre was to relocated to memorial drive (which it surely would if a multi-purpose venue is proposed) then it would free up land that could be used to create a footballing (soccer) complex around/adjacent hindmarsh stadium while also providing better linkage with the tram stops. Which would also mean the flashy dome thing outside the EC could still be used!
I tend to agree with this. However, the ET site could also be allocated to an extension of the Bowden site over Port Road.

I feel like if a new arena is built in the expected ten year time frame, that a tram to the airport will also no doubt surfacing around the same time and therefore would make a lot of sense to building a new soccer stadium where ETSA Park is... It'd be next to the tram and train lines, nearby our state's athletics venue, and still close to the city with a lot of available park nearby.
Someone is forgetting about concurrent events. If you want Memorial Drive to stage a basketball match and a concert on the same evening you would need two halls. Are they going to build two on the Memorial Drive site? I doubt it. I think enough money has already been spent on the AEC and bulldozing it now would be a mistake. Hindmarsh Stadium should not be transferred to the AEC site. AEC has more functions, shows, events than Hindmarsh so it would also be more logical to leave things as they are and build a football (soccer) venue from scratch elsewhere and have Hindmarsh Stadium re-zoned and sold for housing or whatever. ETSA Park is one place as mentioned. Hopefully there would be enough room for a stadium, associated parking and possibly an indoor training area.

As for public transport. The tram going to the airport would go down Sir Donald Bradman Drive and have a stop opposite both stadiums with access from below. This tram line could either go straight down the middle of Sir Donald Bradman Drive to the airport or turn south and run above the Keswick Creek to the airport. A railway station could also be included under the Hilton Bridges if required. My :2cents: anyhow.

Cheers
Last edited by Ho Really on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ho Really

#60 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 pm

Nathan wrote:
Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
Hindmarsh is connected to trains, tram and numerous bus routes; has a large multi storey car park at AEC, and has an (increasing) number of restaurants, pubs and bars in it's immediate vicinity. It's certainly no AAMI stadium or Adelaide Arena in terms of location.
Sure, but how far can you upgrade Hindmarsh Stadium? That's the question. Also you've got to factor in FIFA compliance.

Cheers