[PRO] 292-300 Rundle Street | 68m | 21 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: 292-300 Rundle Street | 79m | 23 Levels | Mixed Use

#61 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:27 pm

I'm another that used to do the cross city walk. Would head to the Exeter after gigs, stay there until close, and then make our way to Supermild.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by Pistol » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:17 pm

Nathan wrote:I'm another that used to do the cross city walk. Would head to the Exeter after gigs, stay there until close, and then make our way to Supermild.
Exeter/Austral then on to the Mile High Club. Anyone else remember that joint? They even had old airline seating and everything - awesomeness!
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#63 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 am

Pistol wrote:
Nathan wrote:I'm another that used to do the cross city walk. Would head to the Exeter after gigs, stay there until close, and then make our way to Supermild.
Exeter/Austral then on to the Mile High Club. Anyone else remember that joint? They even had old airline seating and everything - awesomeness!
Was that on Hindley Street, near the Woolshed?. It was dark and featured a small outdoor area at the back?

If it's the place I'm thinking off, I remember going there when I was 19 at 8am after spending the entire night out for NYE lol. Back in the good old days before the introduction of lock outs.

claybro

#64 Post by claybro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:27 pm

I guess what this all demonstrates...for a while in the late 90's early 2000's both the East End and the West end where a hive of Friday and Saturday activity. Even for a while light Square. Before that in the 80's the East End did not really exist as a late night destination, but after careful development and complimentary tenancies, and the hangover from the Grand Prix years, the East End sprang to life- not as a rival to the West End, but to compliment it with a different type of experience. Adelaide is quite unique, in that the CBD has different hubs with their own vibe...much like the other capitals have their inner suburbs that serve this purpose, however in Adelaide most of the locations are walkable from each other. I for one will be sad to see the demise of the East End as a late night venue....so many good memories and it does not have to be let go to become a staid and gentrified location.

Llessur2002

#65 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:49 pm

claybro wrote:I for one will be sad to see the demise of the East End as a late night venue....so many good memories and it does not have to be let go to become a staid and gentrified location.
I don't see why the area can be gentrified and still remain a late-night location. Hindley Street and the West End caters increasingly for the 18-20something 'dirty' night out - cheap shots, large bars, strip clubs etc - there needs to be a slightly more up-market (not up-market as in places with snobbish dress codes etc - I'm looking at you 2KW) alternative catering to people not looking for a 'teenage style' night out in a faceless club somewhere. I would expect that as tastes and fashions continue to change (as as people chose to stay single well into their 30s - unlike in the 90s/early 2000s), the cleaner more 'bespoke' end of the market will continue to be just as important as the pack 'em, stack' em and rack 'em approach of some of the Hindley Street offerings. Add a few more live music venues (as well as protecting the ones that already exist) and BOOM - everyone's happy.

There's nothing wrong with a little gentrification here and there.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#66 Post by mshagg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:15 pm

It seems to me the market has matured somewhat and in doing so, different tastes and needs have developed. The 'east end experience' was/is somewhat homogenous, same with the 'west end experience' to an extent - although points of differentiation have emerged. I partly attribute the success of the leigh/peel st precinct to the variety of venues offered in such a small area, although even then most places have a similar feel, look and price to them.

Probably a bit OT anyway. Im not sad to see this one knocked back. Challenges the idea that everything gets waived through the commission - "Jay's mates" etc etc. By all means, build it elsewhere.

Also the only thing I recall about the Mile High Club was the cockroaches in the outdoor area lol.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#67 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:23 pm

ok guys this is best suited for the pub. Back to this development please.

Llessur2002

#68 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:33 pm

On the subject of pubs but re: the development - something I can't figure out if what would the proposal's impact to PJ O'Brien's (and the other ground floor businesses) be? The proposal seemed to suggest only the facades would be retained - so significant changes to, or removals of, the businesses would be required yes?

claybro

#69 Post by claybro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:41 pm

I guess this is what I meant by gentrification of the east end. In this particular development, replacing a pub and a couple of restaurants/bars/cafes with a bland apartment entry foyer, a couple of street facing offices and the other horror, blanked out windows hiding the void behind the heritage shopfront would hasten the demise of the East End as a late night entertainment venue. Build apartments by all means, but leave the businesses to the street front alone, and in this case, it is not at all clear what is to become of this East Terrace strip.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by thecityguy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:33 pm

I'm all for high rise all over the city, the east end in my opinion is the perfect location for residential high rise. Saying that, Rundle street has a really unique feel that should be preserved. I think leave the shop fronts on Rundle street as is. As long as the high rise are built behind the first row of shop fronts there shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

#71 Post by RoiMartel » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:44 am

thecityguy wrote:I'm all for high rise all over the city, the east end in my opinion is the perfect location for residential high rise. Saying that, Rundle street has a really unique feel that should be preserved. I think leave the shop fronts on Rundle street as is. As long as the high rise are built behind the first row of shop fronts there shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by Ben » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Not sure if this one is coming back but I've seen this on a developers website and its very different to the previous white and green proposal.

EAST TERRACE APARTMENTS

[Shuz]

#73 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:59 pm

About 14 levels need to be cut off... far too tall for the area. Totally unsympathetic to its surrounds.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#74 Post by rev » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:53 pm

That doesn't look too bad, definitely better then the monstrosity before.
But I agree with Shuz. Better location imo would be the corner of Frome/North Tce where the budget car hire is, or even on Pirie st next to Tivoli where the car park is. Or perhaps the eastern part of Hindmarsh square where that ugly campus style bunch of buildings are, that's bordered by Frome Pirie and Grenfell.
Imagine 4-6 residential/hotel towers there.

ghs

#75 Post by ghs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:19 pm

That photo which Ben posted is a photo of the building on the corner of East Terrace
and Grenfell street. Honestly some of you guys need to get with it.