[COM] 260 Flinders Street | 84m/74m | 24/21 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: 260 Flinders Street | 78m/64m | 25/23 Levels | Mixed Use

#46 Post by RoiMartel » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Ben wrote:Thanks for that info. I agree with you and I would never buy an apartment with bedrooms with no windows. This is poor design. Maybe have a look at Kodo. I just bought one in there and all the bedrooms have windows as far as I know.
I checked out the Kodo floor plans on the www.dac.sa.gov.au pdf. You are correct. All bedrooms have external windows. My only reservation with Kodo is it's location and later on how stage 2 will affect things.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Wayno » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:36 pm

RoiMartel wrote:Hi Guys! I'm new to this forum.
Welcome RM, look forward to your forum contributions. Doing well so far :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

#48 Post by RoiMartel » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:14 pm

Wayno wrote:
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#49 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:48 am

I don't think Wayno's being sarcastic, and I welcome you to the forums too, and echo his comment :)
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:06 am

RoiMartel wrote:
Wayno wrote:
No, Wayno's being sincere. As am I. Welcome!

(Just ignore Dvious, he must have woke on the wrong side of bed that day.)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

#51 Post by RoiMartel » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:02 am

Ok thanks everybody!

I found another example of what I mean. This apartment is for sale as a 2 bedroom apartment.
floorplan1 (1).jpg
floorplan1 (1).jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
Wouldn't you agree that it would be better to have the main bedroom at the top with the window and move the study down to the living room. Again, the main bedroom has a floor to ceiling glass wall and no window. Why do this? This design is purely for a short term resident. Why not design something that someone can choose to live in for the long term. There are many more examples of this and I just find it strange

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:22 am

RoiMartel wrote:Wouldn't you agree that it would be better to have the main bedroom at the top with the window and move the study down to the living room. Again, the main bedroom has a floor to ceiling glass wall and no window. Why do this? This design is purely for a short term resident. Why not design something that someone can choose to live in for the long term. There are many more examples of this and I just find it strange
I can agree with you that a lot of apartment designs have awkward layouts and a weird space to live in, but what's your obsession with a windowed bedroom? Surely the living spaces would benefit from a window, while bedrooms are better dark so you can sleep in them?

RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

#53 Post by RoiMartel » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:33 am

monotonehell wrote:
RoiMartel wrote:Wouldn't you agree that it would be better to have the main bedroom at the top with the window and move the study down to the living room. Again, the main bedroom has a floor to ceiling glass wall and no window. Why do this? This design is purely for a short term resident. Why not design something that someone can choose to live in for the long term. There are many more examples of this and I just find it strange
I can agree with you that a lot of apartment designs have awkward layouts and a weird space to live in, but what's your obsession with a windowed bedroom? Surely the living spaces would benefit from a window, while bedrooms are better dark so you can sleep in them?

I totally agree that living spaces should have most light. I'm just saying that a windowed bedroom is more livable than a closet. And its not that hard to design, thats all

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:51 am

RoiMartel wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
I totally agree that living spaces should have most light. I'm just saying that a windowed bedroom is more livable than a closet. And its not that hard to design, thats all
It's certainly nice, but a lot of buildings have only one or two walls that can have windows. That is, if it's abutting neighbours on all sides, only the street-facing wall can have windows. Must be hard to sort something out in that case. The other extreme, where a building is an island, would make it a lot easier to place windows in every room, unless it's a bulky building that calls for internal rooms.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#55 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:44 am

monotonehell wrote:It's certainly nice, but a lot of buildings have only one or two walls that can have windows. That is, if it's abutting neighbours on all sides, only the street-facing wall can have windows. Must be hard to sort something out in that case. The other extreme, where a building is an island, would make it a lot easier to place windows in every room, unless it's a bulky building that calls for internal rooms.
There are tricks around it, such as light wells and internal atriums - but the practicality of those again comes down to dimensions of the floor plate. Art for instance is quite a long, narrow floor plate. They've obviously managed to get some light in through the centre of the building, but the only way they could possibly have got light to the centre of each apartment would be a long light well which would have taken out a significant chunk of floor space (although I agree swapping Bed 1 and 2 around might have been a reasonable approach).

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by floplo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Isn't that whole problem simply semantics ?

Take the ART apartment floorplan and instead of a two-bedroom call it a studio apartment with a large storage closet... It's an equally true description, but for advertising purposes it just doesn't sound as good.
In the end it is a meaningless difference of words since I doubt that somebody is willing to spend 400k based on a short summary description rather than actually having a look at the real thing.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by Wayno » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:24 pm

RoiMartel wrote:
Wayno wrote:
No sarcasm matey. Your posts to date have been strong and info-filled. Keep it up!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by Ben » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:33 pm

This one has a full tram wrap.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by floplo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:21 pm

This one made it into The Australian:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/ho ... d64b92bcd5