[U/C] 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Jaymz
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 60m~ | 15 Levels | M

#76 Post by Jaymz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Sheeesh. Never expected reply like above.

No i'm not the skyline police, it's just my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#77 Post by thecityguy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Sounds dumb to say that having tall buildings will dramatically improve our city. But I honestly think if a few 150m plus building sprung up and we built some really impressive out of the ordinary buildings. it would give the city a really different feel and improve Adelaide's Image a lot. People would stop bagging Adelaide as being "boring" or "dead". And it would help remove our reputation for being backwards backwater state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#78 Post by Ho Really » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Buildings in the 150~200metre range, if ever built, should be located away from the squares. Behind other rows of shorter buildings. The squares should be allowed to have as much natural light as possible. That's the only requirement I believe should be demanded on developers and designers (architects).

Otherwise it should be as rev says. No limits on how many buildings of one size or another. Just built in the right locations with room in between if possible.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#79 Post by thecityguy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm undecided on this. I get the natural light argument. But squares are also perfect to build residential buildings around, possibly build our tallest buildings along King will and where we already have our tallest cluster.

Right now the four squares (not including Vic square) are the definition of wasted space. Each square should have an attraction worth going to in my eyes. They have so much potential, yet are pretty much just a few ugly tress and some grass.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#80 Post by Jaymz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:26 pm

rev wrote:

Doesn't need buildings 150 m or higher? Who are you to dictate? The skyline police?
What do you think, that the current disgusting disgraceful pathetic cluster of "tall buildings" in Adelaide around Westpac House were all built simultaneously?

In a perfect world we would have only 2 glass buildings around 150m? And only a dozen buildings around 80-130m?
So once we reach a dozen buildings in that range, plus your very generous allowance of 2 glass towers at 150m, what, do we tell developers, the market, the populace who wants to live in apartment buildings, that they can't?

Seriously I can not believe what I've read.
Rev,

You totally misunderstood my post. I meant a dozen 80 - 130m "NEW" buildings, which was meant to be built from now. And two 150m glass towers from here on in. My apologies for not putting a time frame on this, built the next 10 years would be a good start (ain't gonna happen though).

My argument is for example........ when I look at 2 comparable cities like Melbourne and Sydney, I think Sydney wins hands down! Why? Because Sydney has a dense, tall and uniform skyline when viewed from almost any angle. Melbourne is spread out, with a few tallies here and there. Impressive, but nowhere near as pleasing to the eye.

I think Adelaide can have the advantage over Perth if it goes for density :) That's all I meant.

P.S I have nothing against Perth, I happened to live there for 10 years. It's my second home. It's just Adelaide's nearest competitor for size and population.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#81 Post by slenderman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Interested as to why you prefer a uniform skyline? In my opinion, I think Melbourne's skyline looks better than Sydney's because it's more varied. Sydney to me is just a thick wall of 150-200m buildings with Sydney Tower in the middle which looks pretty similar from most angles, and the only different view from the harbour (their postcard shot) looks like it hasn't really changed in years. Melbourne and to a lesser extent Brisbane, look quite different when viewed from different angles, which makes their skylines more visually interesting to me.

Nonetheless, I do love how dense Sydney's CBD is, and not even Melbourne comes close in this regard. Always nice going up Sydney tower or the MLC building and taking in the views of the city from up there, but that might also have to do with Sydney's natural setting. I'd say Sydney has the best highrise views, but not the best skyline at ground level.

Perth is a bit similar. I think their skyline has looked like poo since that ugly BHP tower went up, and the skyline definitely suffers from being two dimensional. If the skyline was twice as "deep" and half as wide (ie more dense), I'd probably like their skyline more.

So in conclusion, I'd say that a combination of density, height and most importantly good design are significant in creating an interesting urban environment. Of course height is debateable but Adelaide doesn't have nearly enough widespread heritage in my opinion compared to European cities to merit not building upwards.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#82 Post by Wayno » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:23 pm

One things for certain; the ACCs preferred 'pyramid' shaped skyline is being broadly ignored :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#83 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:36 am

In my opinion, on-ground activation is what really makes a city. I have been spending a few days in the US and the lack of on-ground activation makes even the largest cities look dead.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#84 Post by ml69 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:52 am

Wayno wrote:One things for certain; the ACCs preferred 'pyramid' shaped skyline is being broadly ignored :-)
I think the ACC's pyramid shaped skyline model of the past 25 years or so (and corresponding height restrictions) has been a disaster for the Adelaide skyline.

It's the reason why we have so many 18 storey buildings (with only about 4 buildings clustered around Grenfell and Currie St exceeding this height), which when viewed from the east makes our skyline look really uniform and boring. Drive up to the top of Greenhill Rd or Kensington Rd to see what I mean.

With the exception of the SE and SW residential areas of the CBD, there should be no height restrictions apart from those related to aircraft regulations. Over time, a more interesting skyline will evolve by itself.

Rant over.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#85 Post by thecityguy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:31 am

Agreed!!!

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#86 Post by Blimp » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:59 pm

I like the street level configuration of this one. Looks to be the making of a quality, usable space. Just out of interest what is the height limits for this particular site?

[Shuz]

#87 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:38 am

There is no height limit.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nicky Boy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#88 Post by Nicky Boy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:15 pm

It looks like all the other glass boxes in Victoria Square by the same company . However I do like Mike Bradys building from Brady Bunch so I am ok with this .

skyliner

#89 Post by skyliner » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:46 pm

I am impressed by how the CBD has spread in all directions in the last few years with development going outside the North Tce - Flinders St and Morphett - Pulteney st zone - much more interesting but way overdue - as said by someone else, the falling away of the pyramid policy can only be a good thing. (VERY restrictive). I am looking forward to seeing KWS lined with high rise from Nth Tce to Sth Tce.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 60m~ | 15 Levels | Mixed

#90 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 am

Greaton the developers of West Franklin have lodged an app for this site to use as a hotel. I think it’s a completely new design.

They are building “the ribbon” hotel in Sydney so hopefully this will be equally iconic.

“Works affecting the State Heritage GPO building; construction of a hotel - 16 levels above ground (incorporating the construction of a 13 level tower above the existing GPO building and including two levels of enclosed plant, ground level lobby”