[U/C] 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
timtam20292
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Westin Hotel

#166 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:45 am

Here’s hoping those whispers are true. This was going to be 💩

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#167 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:44 am

I'm pretty neutral re: the design for this one - I don't think its terrible, but certainty nothing overly special. If it has been cancelled though, it means another prominent historical building in the heart of Adelaide potentially sitting empty indefinitely - which is definitely not a good outcome. This happened with the Colonial Mutual Building, 2 King William Street, Electra House and 203 North Tce previously, and Gawler Chambers currently. They become a blight on the city, attracting antisocial behavior and pose potential fire risks. Let's hope whatever is happening, something is built here in the near future.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [APP] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Westin Hotel

#168 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:I'm pretty neutral re: the design for this one - I don't think its terrible, but certainty nothing overly special. If it has been cancelled though, it means another prominent historical building in the heart of Adelaide potentially sitting empty indefinitely - which is definitely not a good outcome. This happened with the Colonial Mutual Building, 2 King William Street, Electra House and 203 North Tce previously, and Gawler Chambers currently. They become a blight on the city, attracting antisocial behavior and pose potential fire risks. Let's hope whatever is happening, something is built here in the near future.
Anti social behavior???
Do people still talk like it's the 50's ?

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: [APP] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Westin Hotel

#169 Post by Ho Really » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:04 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 pm
Anti social behavior???
What is anti-social behaviour?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Westin Hotel

#170 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Ho Really wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Anti social behavior???

Cheers
Yes I feel so much better now.
I can see how it is relevant in a development forum Image

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Westin Hotel

#171 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:40 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:25 pm
Ho Really wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Anti social behavior???

Cheers

It’s relevant because if the building sits undeveloped and empty, it increases the likelihood of antisocial behaviour occurring there. Also, buildings don’t exist in a void, their design can influence people’s behaviour around them.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Westin Hotel

#172 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Ho Really wrote:

Cheers

It’s relevant because if the building sits undeveloped and empty, it increases the likelihood of antisocial behaviour occurring there. Also, buildings don’t exist in a void, their design can influence people’s behaviour around them.
Bullshit
It's just an empty building
The old Planet site for example has been empty for about 20 years
Care to enlighten us about this anti social behaviour that has occurred around such buildings

Waewick

[U/C] Re: [APP] [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Westin Hotel

#173 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:42 pm

citywatcher wrote:
gnrc_louis wrote:
citywatcher wrote:

Bullshit
Care to enlighten us about this anti social behaviour that has occurred around such buildings

Would argue more anti social behaviour occurred whilst the Planet was open!

Ho Really

[U/C] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Westin Hotel

#174 Post by Ho Really » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm
Bullshit
Care to enlighten us about this anti social behaviour that has occurred around such buildings.
When a place is well secured and or very hard to enter there shouldn't be any issues. I would assume The Planet site was that.
Former News Ltd building, North Tce — 1996

Squatters were believed to have started a multimillion-dollar fire that gutted the former News Ltd building on North Tce — a fire that forced the evacuation of about 350 guests of the neighbouring Grosvenor Hotel.

Fuelled by old wooden floors and timbers, the fire took nearly an hour and 45 firefighters before it was controlled about 10pm on November 13, 1996.

The building was next door to Newspaper House — itself destroyed by fire in 1968.

I remember this fire. I took some photos of the firemen from a side street as I wasn't able to get to North Terrace. I had to borrow a camera from a camera shop as I wasn't there officially as a member of the media.

Not saying the GPO will attract these sorts of people but just think if COVID-19 keeps going on and on. Many buildings might go empty if people lose their jobs and their homes. A bit far fetched but a recipe nonetheless for all sorts of anti social behaviour. My :2cents:

Now let's get back on topic...

Bit pissed another development on hold, This won't be ready way into 2022, perhaps even later. I like the external colour. It adds some contrast to that corner. The rest nothing out of the ordinary. Would be good if it was taller though. Hopefully they'll rethink its height (but that's wishful thinking look at the Hyatt in Pirie Street...f**k).

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#175 Post by citywatcher » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:45 am

23 years ago
I'd say this is an extreme example and future possibilities have been tidied up

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Westin Hotel

#176 Post by citywatcher » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:07 pm

Ho Really wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm
Bullshit
Care to enlighten us about this anti social behaviour that has occurred around such buildings.
When a place is well secured and or very hard to enter there shouldn't be any issues. I would assume The Planet site was that.
Former News Ltd building, North Tce — 1996

Squatters were believed to have started a multimillion-dollar fire that gutted the former News Ltd building on North Tce — a fire that forced the evacuation of about 350 guests of the neighbouring Grosvenor Hotel.

Fuelled by old wooden floors and timbers, the fire took nearly an hour and 45 firefighters before it was controlled about 10pm on November 13, 1996.

The building was next door to Newspaper House — itself destroyed by fire in 1968.

I remember this fire. I took some photos of the firemen from a side street as I wasn't able to get to North Terrace. I had to borrow a camera from a camera shop as I wasn't there officially as a member of the media.

Not saying the GPO will attract these sorts of people but just think if COVID-19 keeps going on and on. Many buildings might go empty if people lose their jobs and their homes. A bit far fetched but a recipe nonetheless for all sorts of anti social behaviour. My :2cents:

Now let's get back on topic...

Bit pissed another development on hold, This won't be ready way into 2022, perhaps even later. I like the external colour. It adds some contrast to that corner. The rest nothing out of the ordinary. Would be good if it was taller though. Hopefully they'll rethink its height (but that's wishful thinking look at the Hyatt in Pirie Street...f**k).

Cheers
Covid has come at the wrong time for Adelaide, just when development was booming here.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#177 Post by HiTouch » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:32 pm

Unlike Citywatcher's whacky reality, Adelaide is not a utopia and squatters do inhabit empty buildings. If you don't believe me, there are literally squatters in the squatters arms and that isnt even in the CBD. It'd be worse in the CBD.

I'd rather this be put on hold and waited out like they did 2008-9 which resulted in some great looking developments in the 2010s boom with stable tenants.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#178 Post by citywatcher » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:25 pm

HiTouch wrote:Unlike Citywatcher's whacky reality, Adelaide is not a utopia and squatters do inhabit empty buildings. If you don't believe me, there are literally squatters in the squatters arms and that isnt even in the CBD. It'd be worse in the CBD.

I'd rather this be put on hold and waited out like they did 2008-9 which resulted in some great looking developments in the 2010s boom with stable tenants.
Contradicted yourself much idiot?
" in the CBD but not in the CBD " and " where it's worse anyway " cos you'd know right?
Whacky reality indeed . Watching too many movies .

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#179 Post by HiTouch » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:01 am

citywatcher wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:25 pm
HiTouch wrote:Unlike Citywatcher's whacky reality, Adelaide is not a utopia and squatters do inhabit empty buildings. If you don't believe me, there are literally squatters in the squatters arms and that isnt even in the CBD. It'd be worse in the CBD.

" in the CBD but not in the CBD " and " where it's worse anyway " cos you'd know right?

You're the idiot, idiot.

The CBD is a lot worse than the suburbs when it comes to the problem of squatters. Having empty city blocks would do nothing but encourage this anti social behaviour.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#180 Post by citywatcher » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:10 pm

HiTouch wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:25 pm

You're the idiot, idiot.

The CBD is a lot worse than the suburbs when it comes to the problem of squatters. Having empty city blocks would do nothing but encourage this anti social behaviour.
Oh of course it will
You read it on the internet somewhere