[COM] Uniting Communities | 68m | 19 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
timtam20292
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Uniting Communities | 68m | 19 Levels | Mixed Use

#61 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:51 am

crawf wrote:Though that carpark needs to desperately go. Looks like something from Grand Theft Auto.
lol it does! :lol:

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by PeFe » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Posted this because I really like the photo.
From The Advertiser
Wreckers tear down historic Maughan Church in Adelaide CBD

Maughan church on Franklin St is being demolished. Pic: Tit Schmaal

BULLDOZERS have started to tear down the striking neo-gothic Maughan Church in Adelaide to make way for a new multi-use office and apartment tower.
The church on the corner of Franklin and Pitt streets in the city is being demolished this week.
In its place, Uniting Communities will build a $80 million, 20-storey development that includes apartment housing for people with disabilities and a a retirement village.
A new Uniting Communities headquarters, leasable office space are also part of the project.
The old church did have a provisional heritage protection but this was removed at the request of the State Government so the new development could go ahead.

Full Article : http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... d308217322

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by slenderman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Pretty sad to see this building go. It's not the most spectacular thing ever, but it's still a fairly interesting looking piece of architecture and quite unique for Adelaide.

It's probably been said before, but I feel it needs to be mentioned again; Why did this building have "provisional" heritage listing, or more to the point, why does "provisional heritage listing" even exist? What's the point of having that sort of protection if it can be removed by request?

ghs

#64 Post by ghs » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:10 pm

slenderman wrote:Pretty sad to see this building go. It's not the most spectacular thing ever, but it's still a fairly interesting looking piece of architecture and quite unique for Adelaide.

It's probably been said before, but I feel it needs to be mentioned again; Why did this building have "provisional" heritage listing, or more to the point, why does "provisional heritage listing" even exist? What's the point of having that sort of protection if it can be removed by request?
Good point mate. It just goes to show how pathetic our government is.

In terms of the demolition work, they've only demolished a couple of the buildings on the side at this stage. The church is still standing. I would imagine they'll try to knock the roof of the church in over the next week or so and then knock the walls down.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#65 Post by mshagg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:39 am

slenderman wrote: It's probably been said before, but I feel it needs to be mentioned again; Why did this building have "provisional" heritage listing, or more to the point, why does "provisional heritage listing" even exist? What's the point of having that sort of protection if it can be removed by request?
It simply means it has been nominated for listing and is part way through the assessment process, which includes public consultation etc. The minister can only intervene prior to it being confirmed, which is ultimately a council decision. Had the church been confirmed, they would have needed the ACC's OK to knock it over.

I think I've said in here before that I'm sympathetic to it's demolition given a) it's theirs and b) the poor thing was hidden behind the ghastly shit that was erected around it.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by monotonehell » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:46 am

ghs wrote:
slenderman wrote:...It's probably been said before, but I feel it needs to be mentioned again; Why did this building have "provisional" heritage listing, or more to the point, why does "provisional heritage listing" even exist? What's the point of having that sort of protection if it can be removed by request?
Good point mate. It just goes to show how pathetic our government is...
Listing is "provisional" after it is nominated for listing (anyone can nominate anything), and after it has been assessed by the SA Heritage Council as worthy of listing, for a period of three months. Those three months are a public consultation period, where anyone can make written submissions regarding the object's worth, and where The Minister for Sustainability, Environment and Conservation can request the Council to remove a provisional entry if the Minister is of the opinion that its confirmation would be 'contrary to the public interest'.

Once it is confirmed, it moves from provisional to fully listed, and only the SA Heritage Council can remove or alter it.

No one is "pathetic" in this case, except the mouthy ignorant.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#67 Post by slenderman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:09 pm

Thanks for the clarification, mono and mshagg.

Still a bit disappointing that the provisional listing can be removed before the three months of consultation are over, especially if someone could have submitted a convincing case to keep the building in that period.

But I guess there has to be balance a between a legitimately worthy building receiving listing and people holding up development by nominating any old tin shed. IMO the domed part was worthy of keeping, even if it would have looked a bit silly sandwiched between a thin building fronting Franklin Street and a potential 25 storey second stage.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Will » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Demolition of the actual dome structure has begun.

Llessur2002

#69 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:28 am

Nearly gone...

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#70 Post by HeapsGood » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Good riddance, now someone needs to tear down that ugly heritage listed office building on the corner of Franklin and Victoria Square...
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Nathan

#71 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:15 pm

HeapsGood wrote:Good riddance, now someone needs to tear down that ugly heritage listed office building on the corner of Franklin and Victoria Square...
Sorry. Great building, historically important.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:26 pm

HeapsGood wrote:Good riddance, now someone needs to tear down that ugly heritage listed office building on the corner of Franklin and Victoria Square...
The former MLC building?. It would be a travesty if we lost this.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by Torrens_5022 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:43 pm

The MLC building as a lot history - there's some information about it on here - https://www.emporis.com/buildings/16950 ... -australia

[Shuz]

#74 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Adelaide's first glass skyscraper. Important heritage.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

metro
Legendary Member!

#75 Post by metro » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:55 pm

MLC doesnt look too bad, but for buildings around Vic Sq, Wakefield House is one I'd like to see either torn down or gutted/refurbished.