[COM] Uniting Communities | 68m | 19 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Uniting Communities | 68m | 19 Levels | Mixed Use

#1 Post by Nathan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:17 am

The existing building has significant architectural merit, and they want to replace it with a yet-another-glass-box that seems to be the standard down the eastern end of Franklin St now. The building was heritage listed, but was removed at the owner's request.

Personally I think this is a terrible way to decide what is worth keeping:
Chapter manager Nicolette Dilernia said the church had value “if you are a fan of that ’60s modernist, ecclesiastical style, but unfortunately to a lot of people it’s seen as ugly”.

“ I think the net benefit will probably outweigh what’s there now,” she said. “On balance it’s probably not a tragic loss to the architectural heritage of Adelaide.”

Uniting Communities to demolish its historic Maughan Church for $60m development
http://www.news.com.au/national/uniting ... 7475734141

AN HISTORIC city church nominated for the state’s highest heritage protection will be demolished to make way for a $60 million development providing accommodation for people with disabilities and a vertical retirement village.

Uniting Communities has unveiled plans for a building of at least 17 storeys, the first in a two-stage development, on its Maughan Church site on the corner of Franklin and Pitt streets.

The State Government ordered the lifting of the 50-year-old church’s provisional state heritage listing to allow the project to go ahead.

Uniting Communities chief executive Simon Schrapel said the project would help alleviate an acute shortage of respite accommodation in the city, create a community and social hub, and help secure the organisation’s future.

Mr Schrapel said it would give people with disabilities somewhere affordable to stay, whether they were in town for healthcare or to see an AFL game or theatre show.

“People with disabilities and older people have as much right to live or stay in a premium city location as everyone else,” he said.

“We figure this is a much better way of making us sustainable for the next 50 years.

“And the state can do with the economic boost from this sort of development.”

The proposal includes 18 disability respite apartments for short-term stays, nine apartments for short to medium stays for people with disabilities and their carers, and 36 retirement apartments for older people on the top floors.

An auditorium with up to 600 seats would host church congregations, small conferences and other community uses, alongside a ground-floor cafe and community arts workshop and gallery. Uniting Communities would occupy up to four levels of office space and rent out another two while increasing its social services on the site.

It is seeking state and federal government support to expand the numbers of disability apartments, and could add more retirement apartments to the plan based on market demand. Penaluna Place, currently built over at the northern end, would be opened to pedestrians as a direct route to the Central Market.

Mr Schrapel said plans would be lodged with the Development Assessment Commission later in the year and hoped for construction to finish in early 2018.

A second stage would likely involve a larger neighbouring tower on Pitt St for affordable and social housing. More than $500 million of apartment projects are under construction or in the pipeline in South Australia and a number of new hotels are also on the drawing board or have recently been completed.

The church, built in 1965, was provisionally listed on the State Heritage Register as an “exemplar of Contemporary Gothic design” in SA.

The Australian Institute of Architects’ SA chapter has listed it as one of the state’s most nationally significant examples of 20th century architecture.

Chapter manager Nicolette Dilernia said the church had value “if you are a fan of that ’60s modernist, ecclesiastical style, but unfortunately to a lot of people it’s seen as ugly”.

“ I think the net benefit will probably outweigh what’s there now,” she said. “On balance it’s probably not a tragic loss to the architectural heritage of Adelaide.”
In April the Government asked the SA Heritage Council to remove the church’s provisional state heritage listing at Uniting Communities’ request. The council ratified this in June.

Patrick_27

[COM] Re: Corner of Franklin and Pitt streets | ~53m | 17 Levels

#2 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:28 am

Nathan wrote:The existing building has significant architectural merit, and they want to replace it with a yet-another-glass-box that seems to be the standard down the eastern end of Franklin St now. The building was heritage listed, but was removed at the owner's request.

Personally I think this is a terrible way to decide what is worth keeping:

Uniting Communities to demolish its historic Maughan Church for $60m development
http://www.news.com.au/national/uniting ... 7475734141

AN HISTORIC city church nominated for the state’s highest heritage protection will be demolished to make way for a $60 million development providing accommodation for people with disabilities and a vertical retirement village.

Uniting Communities has unveiled plans for a building of at least 17 storeys, the first in a two-stage development, on its Maughan Church site on the corner of Franklin and Pitt streets.

The State Government ordered the lifting of the 50-year-old church’s provisional state heritage listing to allow the project to go ahead.

Uniting Communities chief executive Simon Schrapel said the project would help alleviate an acute shortage of respite accommodation in the city, create a community and social hub, and help secure the organisation’s future.

Mr Schrapel said it would give people with disabilities somewhere affordable to stay, whether they were in town for healthcare or to see an AFL game or theatre show.

“People with disabilities and older people have as much right to live or stay in a premium city location as everyone else,” he said.

“We figure this is a much better way of making us sustainable for the next 50 years.

“And the state can do with the economic boost from this sort of development.”

The proposal includes 18 disability respite apartments for short-term stays, nine apartments for short to medium stays for people with disabilities and their carers, and 36 retirement apartments for older people on the top floors.

An auditorium with up to 600 seats would host church congregations, small conferences and other community uses, alongside a ground-floor cafe and community arts workshop and gallery. Uniting Communities would occupy up to four levels of office space and rent out another two while increasing its social services on the site.

It is seeking state and federal government support to expand the numbers of disability apartments, and could add more retirement apartments to the plan based on market demand. Penaluna Place, currently built over at the northern end, would be opened to pedestrians as a direct route to the Central Market.

Mr Schrapel said plans would be lodged with the Development Assessment Commission later in the year and hoped for construction to finish in early 2018.

A second stage would likely involve a larger neighbouring tower on Pitt St for affordable and social housing. More than $500 million of apartment projects are under construction or in the pipeline in South Australia and a number of new hotels are also on the drawing board or have recently been completed.

The church, built in 1965, was provisionally listed on the State Heritage Register as an “exemplar of Contemporary Gothic design” in SA.

The Australian Institute of Architects’ SA chapter has listed it as one of the state’s most nationally significant examples of 20th century architecture.

In April the Government asked the SA Heritage Council to remove the church’s provisional state heritage listing at Uniting Communities’ request. The council ratified this in June.
I somewhat agree with your statement of architectural merit, however there have been plenty of other far more significant buildings that have been the victim of development, this will be no different.

In my opinion, this strip of Franklin Street is among the worst places in Adelaide's CBD - alongside Currie Street (outside Westpac House) and Grenfell Street (between KWS and Twin Street) - it's lifeless and the buildings amongst it are generally awful, the carpark on the opposite corner of Pitt Street should have gone years ago and the blank space in-front of the carpark on the opposite site of Franklin Street is just depressing.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by slenderman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:08 am

Patrick, we know that better buildings have bit the dust in the past, but that doesn't mean this one should. At the moment, it's one of the few 1960s buildings worth protecting (along with the Reserve Bank and State Administration). I know it's a lot smaller in scale, but it's still a unique building. We should protect all forms of architecture in this city, hell maybe even some Brutalism examples should be nominated for protection in a couple of decades. In the future it may be that these buildings are considered of even higher merit.

I share the rest of the sentiments of your post, and I think you just named two better potential sites, specifically the Truscott's carpark. This area is pretty lifeless. It has good potential being the gateway between the markets and the CBD core, but there hasn't been enough focus on ground level activation in the newer developments. Could use more restaurants or retail there to attract people.

I think this hotel is reasonably decent in design, although it's quite common. It's a bit like the Conservatory on Hindmarsh. I just wish it could be built across the road.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:10 am

It would be easier to support if what was replacing the church was also of architectural interest.

In saying that, there are enough benefits in this proposal to stop me from immediately ruling it out of hand -- benefits both to the streetscape (in activating Pitt Street and opening up Penaluna Place) and in the provision of improved services to vulnerable people. Of course, I wish they started out with a design that respected what came before, but I'm open to being convinced...
Keep Adelaide Weird

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by phenom » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:32 am

An interesting development! At first glance my thoughts were 'nice but why couldn't it be on the awful exTruscott/car park across from it' but since the 'developer' is essentially the church itself I don't think it's so bad. From the perspective of 'doing good' I think what they intend to replace it with is more than acceptable - would be different if it was just going to be luxury apartments or another hotel. Unfortunately I don't think the shape and size of the site as well as the architecture of the church doesn't really lend itself to much of a solution where it is meaningfully preserved but still allows some viable development.

Ho Really

#6 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:33 pm

I wonder if this building can be cut up and transported somewhere else. Like they do in Monster Moves.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Nathan

#7 Post by Nathan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm concerned that all it takes to get a building de-listed from the (admittedly provisional) heritage list is a request to the government. Heritage protection is hardly protection at all in that case.

metro
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by metro » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:28 pm

I don't really like the Church that's there, but I don't really like what they propose to replace it with. Unless the proposal turns into something other than another 15-20floor glass box then I'd prefer the church stay for now. The worst outcome would be if the church is torn down and the building proposal doesn't get up and they put up another parking lot or parking station. :roll:

ghs

#9 Post by ghs » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:17 pm

The church is advertising its christmas services as the final ever since the plan is to demolish the
church next year.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Mants » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:09 am

I have heard that Uniting Communities will be relocating their offices from this site in April.

ghs

#11 Post by ghs » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:26 pm

The final church service will be in the middle of May.

I wonder if we'll see other churches in the city demolished. The Holy Trinity Church on North Terrace
is sitting on a block of land which could be sold for a small fortune.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by ml69 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:41 pm

ghs wrote:The final church service will be in the middle of May.

I wonder if we'll see other churches in the city demolished. The Holy Trinity Church on North Terrace
I think Holy Trinity church is heritage listed, but they've got a big empty site at the back which is used as a car park. That could certainly be redeveloped if the church was willing to sell it.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Will » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:18 pm

ghs wrote:The final church service will be in the middle of May.

Holy Trinity is the oldest church building in Adelaide, with sections dating from 1838. It is a state heritage listed place, and thus cannot be demolished.

ghs

#14 Post by ghs » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Maughan church was also heritage listed and they managed to have it de - listed.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Will » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:38 pm

ghs wrote:Maughan church was also heritage listed and they managed to have it de - listed.
There are different degrees of heritage listing.