[COM] Uniting Communities | 68m | 19 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Blimp
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Corner of Franklin and Pitt streets | ~53m | 17 Levels

#16 Post by Blimp » Mon May 23, 2016 10:04 pm

There is an article that I believe is regarding this on the advertisers website but its behind the paywall. Anyone who subscribes/knows how to get around it care to share it? :applause: in advance!

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Algernon » Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 pm

80 million, 20 levels, submitted to DAC today, boo hoo it's a Church, demolition in August, completion mid 2018 in Adelaide years.
Attachments
91c1852f28aadc3d1767d079c2f0e934.jpg
91c1852f28aadc3d1767d079c2f0e934.jpg (207.46 KiB) Viewed 3663 times

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by crawf » Mon May 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Wow!, this is a huge improvement on the former bland design. Much taller aswell. How tall will this be?

Franklin Street will look and feel entirely different by 2020. It's already changed alot in the last couple of years.

--------------------
Uniting Communities seeks approval for $80 million building on site of historic Maughan church
an hour ago
Richard EvansThe Advertiser

THE controversial plan to replace an architecturally unique city church with an $80 million office and apartment tower will be submitted for Development Assessment Commission approval today.

Uniting Communities wants to tear down its contemporary-gothic Maughan Church, built in the 1960s, to make way for a 20-storey HQ on the corner of Franklin and Pitt streets, and has released an image of what it will look like to The Advertiser.

The old church did have some protection through its listing on the SA Heritage register, but this was removed at the request of the State Government so the new development could go ahead.

The register listed the building as a “notable and prominent example of contemporary gothic architecture, which is rare in South Australia and unique in the city centre”.

An artist’s impression of the Uniting Communities’ planned new $80 million headquarters.
A final service to commemorate the site’s history was held at the church this month.

Uniting Communities chief executive Simon Schrapel said that “we understand some members of the community will feel concerned about Maughan Church being replaced,” but that “the building’s value to the community has been limited and it is in need of extensive repairs just to remain usable ... what will be created on the site offers a contemporary approach to building a vibrant inner city community”.

“The church’s legacy will live on in the new building. We’re also investigating how we can reuse some of the ... materials from the church,” he said. Construction of the new multi-use facility is expected to create 180 jobs and there will be 30 ongoing new positions in the building.

Around 200 Uniting Communities staff will be housed in the new complex, which will also have 3000sqm of office space available for lease and therefore an income stream for the organisation. A first-floor auditorium, with room for more than 300 people, will be available for use as a place of worship.

The Woods Bagot-designed building will include a ground floor reception and concierge, retail services and a cafe. An 18-room disability respite centre and a 21 rooms (mostly two bed) will be available for people with disabilities to rent.

The church is likely to be demolished in August. The new building is expected to be completed by mid-2018.

Mr Schrapel said the redevelopment was an important step in extending services the organisation offers.

“It is bold and ambitious and will celebrate the enormous diversity and commitment to inclusive community which is a hallmark of Uniting Communities’ 115-year history.”

“Our accommodation options in the heart of the city for people living with a disability will be a first and we’re proud of what it will offer.”

The development is expected to be completed by mid-2018.
Pictures of the current church
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/bec4 ... ?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/0844 ... ?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/39f1 ... ?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/adbc ... ?width=650
Last edited by crawf on Mon May 23, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Blimp » Mon May 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Thats a nice improvement on previous renders, looks great. Im with you, the church is an eyesore, despite its uniqueness i don't view it as any great loss. This stretch of Franklin St is primed for development (would love a bulldozer to run through that fugly truscott carpark mess). Bring it on I say!

On a side note it's alittle concerning that heritage status can be remover per owners request. Defeats the porpose of it.

Waewick

#20 Post by Waewick » Mon May 23, 2016 11:05 pm

benefits outweight the losses IMO

Happy to see a funded project go ahead.

Nathan

#21 Post by Nathan » Mon May 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Still angry that unique and important part of Adelaide's architectural heritage is being demolished. Disgusting behaviour by the Uniting Church, and boo to the government/heritage register for allowing the protection to be revoked.

I hope the DAC tear the proposal to shreds.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by Norman » Mon May 23, 2016 11:08 pm

Looks great! However, I was hoping for more residents living here to add to the increasing vibrancy (i.e. people) of the area, but at least this means they can start now.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Corner of Franklin and Pitt streets | ~70m | 20 Levels

#23 Post by Dvious » Mon May 23, 2016 11:28 pm

It's one of those times where you kinda hope we could just pick buildings up that size and move them elsewhere. I love the church due to its uniqueness, but Franklin Street is still in dire need of more development.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Dvious » Mon May 23, 2016 11:34 pm

I also find interesting is that if i remember correctly the original renders were designed by Matthews Architects, yet the latest concept is by Woods Bagot. Such a better outcome!

Patrick_27

#25 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:17 am

I think it shows a lack of innovations that they haven't found a way to significantly incorporate the best parts of the church into this new building. The front spire, and the main (central) gothic dome could very easily be incorporated with the right engineering. (because we know that kind of engineering isn't going to happen here) I'd rather see them acquire and build on the site of the carpark across the road.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 9:41 am

In an ideal world they could keep the church and build the new (much better) design building but that's not gonna happen (unless I guess they had another hefty amount of $ to do that). Given the purpose to which they are putting this facility it's hard though to argue against - the church supposedly existed in its previous form to provide assistance (spiritual and material) and it will do so afterwards. If it's a choice between helping people or heritage I'll have to go with helping people.

Can only echo other sentiments about the desperate need for Franklin Street to continue its renewal.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by mshagg » Tue May 24, 2016 10:17 am

I guess it's one of those rare circumstances where they built the church in the first place, so they're probably entitled to knock the thing down. It would be a different story were it a developer who had acquired the site and was going to level it and build services apartments in its place.

I'm not really sold on the merits of the existing building. Sure the roof looks cool from an isometric angle but standing on pitt st it's all very unremarkable and contributes little to the streetscape. Urgh, that skewed basement tenancy (friends of the heysen trail?) is hideous.

Nathan

#28 Post by Nathan » Tue May 24, 2016 10:32 am

mshagg wrote:I guess it's one of those rare circumstances where they built the church in the first place, so they're probably entitled to knock the thing down. It would be a different story were it a developer who had acquired the site and was going to level it and build services apartments in its place.
Apparently they didn't, it was gifted to them. From their own FAQ on the development:
What is the Uniting Church’s involvement with the redevelopment?
The Adelaide Central Mission property, which included Maughan Church was gifted by the Methodist Church to the Mission. This means that Uniting Communities is now the beneficial owner of the whole site and is responsible for its current and future use. This situation differs to the situation of congregations and the Property Trust.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Pants » Tue May 24, 2016 10:42 am

Nathan wrote:Still angry that unique and important part of Adelaide's architectural heritage is being demolished. Disgusting behaviour by the Uniting Church, and boo to the government/heritage register for allowing the protection to be revoked.

I hope the DAC tear the proposal to shreds.
Agree with that. At the very least, they should get creative and integrate at least part of the church, even if they had make some sacrifices to cover costs. It would make a great entrance to the new building.

Nathan

#30 Post by Nathan » Tue May 24, 2016 10:49 am

Pants wrote:Agree with that. At the very least, they should get creative and integrate at least part of the church, even if they had make some sacrifices to cover costs. It would make a great entrance to the new building.
Apparently the issue is that it's "tired" and "requires significant maintenance and upgrading of its facilities" — which we all know is code for "we purposely let it fall into a state of disrepair so that we could get the heritage listing removed".