News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#211 Post by ghs » Mon May 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Pj Obrien's opened in the mid / late 1990's when the East End was the place to be on friday and saturday
nights.

The West End has taken over these days at the expense of the East End. I agree with the comments
posted earlier that PJ Obrien's isn't too flash, but is it worth the owners spending money to upgrade it
when the market has moved to the West End ?

The owners have decided to get out which could result in the site being sold to a developer. Unfortunately it's
not the best location for a pub these days.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#212 Post by Wayno » Tue May 16, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm a semi-regular at PJs. i'll miss the grungy 1980's cover bands. any pub with regular live music and irish dancing is ok in my books.

Two visits ago I got in a brawl with PJs bar manager over my girlfriend. Ended with myself in a headlock and ejected by one of the friendly bouncers. He bought me a drink next visit. Ahhh, such good times...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Llessur2002

#213 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Additionally, it's actually a pretty good and active Fringe venue - especially for comedy.

ghs

#214 Post by ghs » Mon May 22, 2017 7:44 pm

The raglan hotel has re-opened as The A - club Adelaide.

https://www.facebook.com/aclubadelaide/

I also spotted a new bar on King William street called Western Spaghetti :

http://www.glamadelaide.com.au/main/fir ... ning-hall/

Waewick

#215 Post by Waewick » Tue May 23, 2017 7:05 am

The Raglan didn't last long. Looks like they've just added fairy lights to the new bar.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#216 Post by mshagg » Thu May 25, 2017 9:31 am

How many licensees did they churn through when it was still marble bar? I went to the opening night of the 'new' Raglan and the low turnout did not bode well for them. The fitout felt unfinished and really rough. They were trying to push themselves as some sort of whisky bar, which doesn't really work with a cheap feeling interior. Drinks were super cheap. Place must have been open for 18 hours a day given they offered coffee/breakfast from 7am. Figured they were really circling the drain when they started advertising R&B nights. 'Fleek Saturdays'. Urgh, really?

One wonders if they just ran out of money to do it all properly (and to remain open for more than ~12 weeks, which is about how long they lasted I think).

Perhaps if the building had some entrance doors you didn't have to squeeze in sideways through? At least 'a club' have dimmed the lights a bit.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#217 Post by Norman » Sun May 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Forgot to post this yesterday. Walls have started to come up a Q Nightclub.

Llessur2002

#218 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:47 am

Something very good and very bad is coming to this historic city carpark

SOMETHING very good and very bad is coming to the old Union St carpark.

Restaurant, drinks and dessert bar Jekyll & Hyde is set to bring new life to the heritage building at 11-29 Union St and open by springtime.

Chuckwagon owner James Tsimopoulos, who is behind the venture, says Jekyll & Hyde will live up to its name and have two opposing identities.

“During the day it will be marketed towards mentally-stimulating food, all the food is going to be tailored towards that and everything will have a reason behind it, like ‘this will help you perform a particular task’,” he says.

“Then late afternoon/evening it will turn into an alcoholic and dessert bar with ridiculous desserts.”

Tsimopoulos says the place will stay true to its carpark feel while fusing natural elements, such as a huge tree planned to go in the middle of the restaurant. “It’s heritage so you can’t do much to the building but we’re also planning to light it up outside, it’s going to look really cool,” he says.

The restaurant is licensed for 80 inside and 20 outside.

The Peregrine Corporation bought the carpark last year and obtained development approval to insert tenancies. Miss Gladys Sym Choon will take over the other tenancy at Sym Choon Lane. Peregrine Corporation asset manager David Cooper says the development has been a “long time coming”.
From: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 9bbd287db6

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#219 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:43 pm

...it will turn into an alcoholic...
Go go Messenger proofreading! :lol: (tbf it was a quote)

This sounds like a good development.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#220 Post by Norman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:45 am

Q Nightclub from today.

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!

#221 Post by Smithy85 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Smithy85 wrote:
Smithy85 wrote:The South-Western corner of the Franklin/Morphett intersection (used to be a Fone Zone or Telstra Shop a few years ago) has been boarded up and there is work going on inside.

There has been signs on the outside spruiking "145 Franklin - a Brand new food and dining precinct" for about 2 years, so looks like it could finally be happening but it is hard to tell whats going on inside.
Looks like some decent work going on here... The roof has been removed from half of the existing building.
The roof on the Western half of the building has been replaced, and now the roof of the half of the building closest to Morphett Street has been removed.

Reckon there is a fair bit of potential for a restaurant/café in this location with the growing resi population on the Western side of town.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#222 Post by rev » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:19 am

Wayno wrote:I'm a semi-regular at PJs. i'll miss the grungy 1980's cover bands. any pub with regular live music and irish dancing is ok in my books.

Two visits ago I got in a brawl with PJs bar manager over my girlfriend. Ended with myself in a headlock and ejected by one of the friendly bouncers. He bought me a drink next visit. Ahhh, such good times...
Sounds like a regular Irish night out(and I say that with several good Irish mates who always love a bit of banter Irish this Greek that over a few drinks)

ghs

#223 Post by ghs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Driving past Atlantis last night, it looked as though it has closed down. The owners spent way too much money and obviously couldn't get a return on it.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#224 Post by rev » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:16 pm

ghs wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:49 pm
Driving past Atlantis last night, it looked as though it has closed down. The owners spent way too much money and obviously couldn't get a return on it.
Atlantis was shit. Just like the rebirth of Heaven was shit. Some of the same people involved in both attempts.
Some of those people were also involved in another venture across the street from Atlantis, near Savvy I believe, quite a few years ago as well. That failed too.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#225 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:55 pm

We already know about Atlantis closing down, mentioned here but quite a few pages back.
rev wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:16 pm
ghs wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:49 pm
Atlantis was shit. Just like the rebirth of Heaven was shit. Some of the same people involved in both attempts.
Some of those people were also involved in another venture across the street from Atlantis, near Savvy I believe, quite a few years ago as well. That failed too.
You're not referring to the Pearl are you? Isn't that what Savvy was changed to?