News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#196 Post by PeFe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 pm

OMG !!! The Mars Bar is closing...RIP Mars Bar 197? - 2017.........
Anyone know when the Mars Bar opened....or do any of your parents know when the Mars Bar opened?

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#197 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Its being renovated and apparently getting a new name.

Waewick

#198 Post by Waewick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:57 pm

crawf wrote:One of the most well known and the oldest bars in Adelaide, the Mars Bar will be shutting it doors in 2 week time. Though will be replaced with a new name and renovations under a new owner.
Oldest bars? Does that mean not connected to a traditional hotel?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

[Shuz]

#199 Post by [Shuz] » Mon May 01, 2017 10:23 am

Did anyone see the "news release" Madge put out re: Mars Bar closure.

I have never seen something so badly worded, riddled with spelling and grammar errors and just plain unprofessional. No wonder Mars was shit.

Good riddance, glad to see it go. Bring on new management and fitout. Long overdue. Will be interesting to see what comes of - might give Mary's a run for its money. That place has only been open a year, and already its tired and worn out. The decor, music, pricing and size of the premises is a bit ridiculous.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#200 Post by crawf » Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 am

PeFe wrote:OMG !!! The Mars Bar is closing...RIP Mars Bar 197? - 2017.........
Anyone know when the Mars Bar opened....or do any of your parents know when the Mars Bar opened?
40 years or even longer. That would make it by far one of the oldest nightclubs in Adelaide, and probably the country.
Shuz wrote:I have never seen something so badly worded, riddled with spelling and grammar errors and just plain unprofessional. No wonder Mars was shit.

Good riddance, glad to see it go. Bring on new management and fitout. Long overdue. Will be interesting to see what comes of - might give Mary's a run for its money. That place has only been open a year, and already its tired and worn out. The decor, music, pricing and size of the premises is a bit ridiculous.
No doubt Marys Poppin has taken a huge chunk of business away from Mars, with huge line ups stretching along Synagogue Place to Rundle Street every Friday/Saturday nights. Though society has also changed over the last decade and become far more relaxed, therefore the notion of a 'gay club' is dying out. Mars has actually become more of a mixed club these days. Technology has also completely overhauled the dating scene and nightlife for everyone.

Though the biggest downfall of Mars and the huge success for Marys is mostly pure arrogance, who could forget the Advertiser article in 2013?. I've been going out for a decade, and since then Adelaide's nightlife has dramatically improved with so many new bars and clubs opening up throughout the city. During that time Mars has failed to reinvent themselves or quite simply keep up with the times. However prices have continued to skyrocket, yet their offerings is very poor compared to other venues. So it's not hard to see the demise of Mars.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#201 Post by Mpol03 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:21 pm

The place was empty on weekends well before Poppins moved into town. I was there frequently through 2012 and it was always heaving and packed. It started to feel off when they limited the people allowed in the beer garden. It meant you had to line up for another portion of the club and it was just tiresome.

Upon moving back to Adelaide in 2015, the place was not even a shadow of its former self. Quite sad but as mentioned above, it really did fail to move with the times.
I really do feel comfortable going and meeting another in most Adelaide bars/clubs without the need of having to hide in a gay club.

London is going through the same issue on a much larger scale. The need for a gay club is dying and only the larger, or more niche bars remain.

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#202 Post by Bacon » Tue May 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Was checking out the Holey Moley website when i came across this:
Now open in Melbourne. Coming soon to Sydney and Adelaide. Sign up now for launch dates and offers.
http://holeymoley.com.au/

Wonder where it will be....

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#203 Post by Brando » Fri May 05, 2017 10:58 am

Bacon wrote:Was checking out the Holey Moley website when i came across this:
Now open in Melbourne. Coming soon to Sydney and Adelaide. Sign up now for launch dates and offers.
http://holeymoley.com.au/

Wonder where it will be....
Thanks mate. I recently had a stay in the Ibis next door and was wondering what this place was.

Will keep an eye on this one

ghs

#204 Post by ghs » Sun May 14, 2017 10:52 pm

PJ Obrien's is up for sale and will be closing down shortly. The owners have Irish pubs
interstate and are looking to get out of South Australia.

Sad to see yet another pub close down in the city.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#205 Post by monotonehell » Sun May 14, 2017 11:05 pm

ghs wrote:PJ Obrien's is up for sale and will be closing down shortly. The owners have Irish pubs
interstate and are looking to get out of South Australia.

Sad to see yet another pub close down in the city.
Sad yes, but they only have themselves to blame. Poorly run, seedy pub with questionable meals in not exactly a salubrious environment. Hopefully it will be taken over by people with some fresh and interesting ideas.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002

#206 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:56 am

Didn't the proposed development on the site behind incorporate the ground floor tenancies including PJ O'Briens? Could this be something to do with that?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#207 Post by Norman » Mon May 15, 2017 10:14 am

Llessur2002 wrote:Didn't the proposed development on the site behind incorporate the ground floor tenancies including PJ O'Briens? Could this be something to do with that?
That's what I was thinking.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#208 Post by Will » Mon May 15, 2017 10:17 am

Not to mention the nation wide trend of Irish pubs closing down. It is a theme that has quite simply gone out of fashion.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#209 Post by Ben » Mon May 15, 2017 10:28 am

Norman wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:Didn't the proposed development on the site behind incorporate the ground floor tenancies including PJ O'Briens? Could this be something to do with that?
That's what I was thinking.
The development was however rejected so there is nothing currently proposed for the site but may be something in the works behind the scenes yet to be proposed.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#210 Post by Norman » Mon May 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Maybe they sold up because they couldn't get their development through?