News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mshagg
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion : New Bars & Night Clubs

#61 Post by mshagg » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:13 pm

ghs wrote: Looks like they'll be opening in the next month or so. I think they have the timing wrong - opening at the beginning
of autumn / winter after all the festivals have finished ????
West end is a ghost town during fringe now, which is a bit of a shame, as a few years ago there was quite a lot of fringe venues and even a public space/bar on the NW corner of light square. All seems to be very east end (and vic square) centric now.

That seems like optimistic timing. They've just in the last day or so removed the cyclone fence along mellor st and the outdoor area still looks like the battle of the somme. I think they've been working on this place for longer than it has taken Vue to get where it is.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:54 am

They keep coming - Section 33 opening in the basement of what used to be the Indian restaurant on the corner of Hindley and Peel:
Coming Soon: Section 33, Hindley Street’s newest small bar

In a dark, windowless basement on the corner of Hindley Street and the ever-bustling Peel Street, the floors are sticky with paint and the walls are much the same as new bar Section 33 races to its planned opening date.

In the past two years Adelaide’s small bar renaissance has been wonderful for fans of boutique whiskey, painstakingly curated local craft beer menus, beautiful wood paneling and bars with ‘moon’ in their title. But one thing that’s been relatively slow on the uptake is simple, unpretentious places for younger folks to chill with friends over a simple beer, without necessarily wanting or needing a deep appreciation for hoppy beer and inventive architecture. Sometimes, you just want a basement with no windows and a steady supply of tinnies and beats.

That’s where Kyle Young and the small team behind Section 33 have come in, bridging the gap between intimate small bar and the kind of mega pubs and clubs of the West End that prove a magnet for school leavers and uni students. “It was an Indian restaurant and we basically just gutted the kitchen, the ceilings had already been pulled down by the time we came down here… it was a scary place to be when we first started but it’s definitely come alive a bit,” he says. “Basically when something looks a bit dodgy, we paint it black,” he jokes.

Aside from the deliberately stark black walls, the venue is dotted by a handful of murals created by artist Jay Medlen, which lend a playful street quality to the space. “Jay’s definitely extremely talented, [usually] he’s more of a stencil artist- this is a bit more graff-y than what he normally does.”

As Young explains, it’s all about offering something different to the rest of Adelaide’s small bar scene, which he reckons is already nailing it. “If you wanna get a craft beer, everywhere on the street is pumping them out,” he says. “Everyone with a Small Venue Licence has gone down one avenue,’ he says. “And the thing is there’s a lot of quality places opening up, it’s not like the market’s been flooded with crap places – they’re awesome,” he says. “And that’s the thing, we’re trying to do something a little bit different to what everyone else is doing.”

That means keeping it simple when it comes to the drinks menu. “The theme of the place is cans and longnecks, stepping away from boutique beers,” he says. “[There’ll be] none of that, we’ll have a couple of American beers in but more of your shit-kicker American beers like Coors and TailGate beer.”

That said, there are still a few unique quirks for anyone who ventures down to Section 33. “We’re doing an Espresso ‘Jartini’ – we’ve got these jars ordered in and we’ll pre-make them beforehand. Then you just get a cube of ice, chuck it in and shake the jar then screw off the lid and drink straight from the jar full espresso, it’s just going to be cheaper,” he says. “We’re not going to break 500 martini glasses a year!”

With final licensing approval expected to come down over the next week, Section 33 is aiming to officially open in late March.

I like that it's got a business model that doesn't include craft beers - not that I don't love craft beers but it's good to see somewhere opening up that's trying something else. I know a few places elsewhere which have bucked the craft beer trend and seem to do a very good trade selling relatively cheap tinnies so it could work well. Not so sure about the martinis in jars though. Still haven't got the point of drinking stuff from jars...

http://ripitup.com.au/food-and-drink/co ... ussCGPFJ-J

Vee
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by Vee » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:01 pm

Adelaide's best bars and restaurants in pictures.

A selection ... from The Guardian.
From basement speakeasies to glamorous rooftop bars, from Cajun gumbos to haute cuisine, Adelaide’s bars and restaurants have something for everyone. Here are some of the best...
http://www.theguardian.com/taste-south- ... n-pictures

Patrick_27

#64 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:06 am

Llessur2002 wrote:I like that it's got a business model that doesn't include craft beers - not that I don't love craft beers but it's good to see somewhere opening up that's trying something else. I know a few places elsewhere which have bucked the craft beer trend and seem to do a very good trade selling relatively cheap tinnies so it could work well.
What's wrong with craft beers? You can buy tinnies and commercial beers practically everywhere in Adelaide that has a liquor license...

Waewick

#65 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:53 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:I like that it's got a business model that doesn't include craft beers - not that I don't love craft beers but it's good to see somewhere opening up that's trying something else. I know a few places elsewhere which have bucked the craft beer trend and seem to do a very good trade selling relatively cheap tinnies so it could work well.
What's wrong with craft beers? You can buy tinnies and commercial beers practically everywhere in Adelaide that has a liquor license...
I thought it was pretty clear that he likes craft beer.

nothing wrong with offering the staples I wouldn't have thought, just becuase you are a small bar that doesn't mean your schooners have to be $12.

doesn't look like my type of place, but good luck to them.

Nathan

#66 Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:19 am

Waewick wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
I thought it was pretty clear that he likes craft beer.

nothing wrong with offering the staples I wouldn't have thought, just becuase you are a small bar that doesn't mean your schooners have to be $12.

doesn't look like my type of place, but good luck to them.
What I don't get though is that they're saying they'll have stuff like Coors... So as import beers they'll be roughly the same price as local craft beers. I've got no problem with an old-school pub serving macro-lager, but I'm a bit wary of places trying to make average beer an ironic statement (that especially applies to those places that are trying to make West End the new PBL).

Llessur2002

#67 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 am

Patrick_27 wrote:What's wrong with craft beers? You can buy tinnies and commercial beers practically everywhere in Adelaide that has a liquor license...
Absolutely nothing. I drink more of them than my doctor would probably recommend.

But - a lot of Adelaide's new small bars sell craft beers. From the description this sounds like it could sit at the grungier end of the market where you can kick back with a comparatively cheap tinnie in a dingier environment. I quite like places like that too - makes for a varied night out.

In the same way that Pabst Blue Ribbon has made a bit of a comeback amongst the hipster crowd in the US and Red Stripe in the UK, I think that some of the 'crap tinnies' are regaining popularity (even if it is in a slightly ironic way).

Time and the market will decide whether this works out I guess.

Llessur2002

#68 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:27 am

Nathan wrote:What I don't get though is that they're saying they'll have stuff like Coors...
Haha - I haven't drunk Coors since I was 17 (18 years ago - and that night didn't end well). I'd give it a whirl again just for old times' sake...

ghs

#69 Post by ghs » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:41 am

This is for the site in between the Crazy Horse and the convenience store on the corner. Looks like
it will be fairly big, I am pretty sure the owner of the Woolshed is behind this development.
DA/117/2016 Application type: Application Assessed on Merit
Description: Demolish front portion of the site and construct a two level building and change the use of the entire site to licensed
enteratinment premises.

Property Address: 145-155 Hindley Street ADELAIDE SA 5000

Applicant : MILNE ARCHITECTS
Owner : BRINOSS P/L
Application First Lodged: 18 Feb 2016
Estimated Cost of Dev: $4,000,000
CITB Reference:

Llessur2002

#70 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Hang on - including this?

That's quite a nice little building (one of the better maintained too) and contributes nicely to the slightly more respectable end of Hindley Street. IMHO it would be a shame to see this one go...

ghs

#71 Post by ghs » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Yes under the plan the front section will be demolished.

Llessur2002

#72 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:14 pm

Hmmm, and Four Doors Plus One? Not sure about this one...

ghs

#73 Post by ghs » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:08 am

Sorry I made a mistake earlier the owner of HQ is behind this, not
the owner of the Woolshed. Seems like this new club will be a replacement
for HQ.

Patrick_27

#74 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:31 am

ghs wrote:Yes under the plan the front section will be demolished.
That's unacceptable. Granted that the other shopfronts aren't of any historic merit but the council should be forcing the landowners to retain the heritage elements when they move forward with this development.

Nathan

#75 Post by Nathan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:23 am

Does this include the old ice rink at the back (and extends behind a few other properties)?

Agreed about keeping the facade.