News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#256 Post by Waewick » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm

My only question is why the West Oak

Why not just use the name plastered on the front of the hotel.

Llessur2002

#257 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Waewick wrote:My only question is why the West Oak

viva la republique?

Nathan

#258 Post by Nathan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Waewick wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Probably to avoid confusion with the Royal Oak in North Adelaide.

Llessur2002

#259 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Nathan wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Probably to avoid confusion with the Royal Oak in North Adelaide.
That makes more sense than my idea of the republican publicans.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#260 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:20 am

This is the third oldest operating hotel in Adelaide using its original licence.

William Joule opened the Royal Oak and Miner's Arms on January 31 1838, four months after arriving on the ship Lady Emma. In December1838, it became The Royal Oak.In 1840, Licencee,Thomas Hornsby,held musical evenings every night called "harmonics". Until the 1850's, it was a brick and part timber structure, reputedly a Manning House, shipped with pioneers from England.

Owner-brewers,Syme and Sison, rebuilt the hotel in 1880 to designs by English & Soward. Subsequent highlights included the first parade by a British Monarch, George V, past its doors and the erection of the West End Brewery in Hindley Street just to the west. Rumours of a hose from the brewery to the cellars of the hotel are unfounded but nevetheless conceivable.

In 1941 architects, Evans Bruer & Hall, remodlled it for the conditions of the 6 o'clock swill period(1916-1967) by creating large bars and impervious surfaces. As part of these renovations, an adjacent 1880's building was cleverly hidden behind the fashionable rendering of the period. From 1993, the hotel was known as the Bijou until the current owners, named it The Worldsend in 1996.
http://worldsendhotel.com.au/about/history/
There's now a royal oak in north adelaide, so I guess they replaced royal with west...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ChillyPhilly

#261 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Norman wrote:Forgot to post this on Monday, big screens have gone up at the NHQ site.

On Friday night, saw the name 'The Hindley' on some signage on the site.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#262 Post by Ben » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 am

"The Hindley" will be a ground floor pub style bar. HQ will be on the second level I believe.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#263 Post by monotonehell » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:48 am

Last Thursday (5/10/2017) the electronic sign was in operation stating that HQ would be open on the 27th ... I didn't get a chance to take a picture, and I can't remember what month was after that date. >.< Fail It may have been October or November.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#264 Post by Ben » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Yep its October 27. Not sure if it will happen but they have announced the "opening party" acts and you can buy tickets online.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#265 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 am

The balcony look almost done

Llessur2002

#266 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

Good news - it's a lovely old building so really hope someone can make it work. Its location near Chinatown and this couple's previous success might just work here...
Hotel Longtime is coming to Grote Street

The long-abandoned Hampshire Hotel on Grote Street is set to become Hotel Longtime; an Asian gastropub courtesy of those behind Sturt Street’s Vietnamese Laundry.

An Asian gastropub is coming to the CBD, with Alex and Tin Fahey, the couple behind Sturt Street’s Vietnamese Laundry, taking over the lease of the long-dormant Hampshire Hotel on Grote Street.

The pub’s licence has transferred seven times in the last 10 years. It was last open to the public as the Hampshire Cider House, but so far no recent concept has seen long-term success on the prominent site.

With Alex and Tin taking the reins, they hope their idea – to be known as Hotel Longtime – will be the right fit for the Chinatown-adjacent locale.

“We were looking around for another laundry to do another place, and we just couldn’t find the right place,” Alex says.

“I always loved this pub; it’s a beautiful building and the location just never worked… If you’re gonna do a pub these days, especially in the city, I think you’ve gotta do it a bit different than what’s traditionally been done, because they’re all closing down.

“People just want a spot of difference, and being around Chinatown, I think giving it that Asian twist is hopefully going to work.”

Tin will lead the culinary direction, taking broad influence from around Asia, and the menu will be matched with local and Japanese beer, and at the risk of sounding too excited, there was also mention of boba cocktails.

The front bar will operate as a casual drinking space, where Alex and Tin hope to capture the knock-off crowd and diners leaving Chinatown looking for a post-meal tipple. Travelling further back into the pub, there will be a semi-private dining space, a formal dining space, and – right at the back – a much more informal “food court-style” space.

While the pub is one of Adelaide’s smallest, it’s a leap for the duo in terms of capacity; Vietnamese Laundry comfortably seats 25, whereas the Hotel Longtime licence is approved for 200 people.

For Alex, the risk is outweighed by the reward of keeping another of Adelaide’s pubs alive.

“I love pubs. It would be a shame if there were no pubs left,” he says. “I think somebody’s got to keep doing it, [but] going from 25 seats or something to a 200-capacity, it’s definitely daunting.”

There is no opening date slated as yet, but Alex and Tin are optimistic they’ll have Hotel Longtime up and running by January 2018.
From: https://citymag.indaily.com.au/habits/p ... te-street/

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#267 Post by fkj » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Snuck a photo of the inside of The Hindley - scheduled to open in 7 days, looks like it's gonna take a lot!Image

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#268 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Not sure if its already been mentioned here.

There is a new bar opening soon on Gilbert Street. I think its in part of the building that Cross Fit was in.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#269 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 am

One of the tenancies built in the facade of the Union/Frome Street Carpark on Union Street is now open as "Jekyll & Hyde" (from memory) it's a restaurant which seems to do cuban style bbq and similar things. The ones down SymChoon Lane are still empty.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#270 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 am

monotonehell wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 am
One of the tenancies built in the facade of the Union/Frome Street Carpark on Union Street is now open as "Jekyll & Hyde" (from memory) it's a restaurant which seems to do cuban style bbq and similar things. The ones down SymChoon Lane are still empty.
yep I went there Friday night. Its more of a wine and dessert bar. It wasn't busy but it was the opening night, before that we went to Midnight Spaghetti above the Crown and Anchor which was pretty good although a bit pricey for what is essentially spag bol.