News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
The Scooter Guy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Anywhere!
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#286 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Burger Boss on Hindley St (the second one in the state) will be open in the next few weeks.
The True Location of Tea Tree Gully is in any state but yours.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#287 Post by PeFe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:13 pm

The Propaganda Club has bitten the dust.
From The Advertiser
The Propaganda Club has closed its doors and called in liquidators just over a year since a grand launch

BILLED as “Adelaide’s only supper club”, CBD nightspot The Propaganda Club has fallen into the hands of liquidators and will be wound up just over a year since opening its doors.

Opened by former Zhivago nightclub owners Petar and Wendy Belosevic in June 2016, the basement venue in Regent Arcade is described on its website as an “elegant restaurant, lounge and cocktail bar that embraces a New York inspired charm”.

The Propaganda Club’s opening in 2016 followed 18 months of building work on the dilapidated former Player’s Bar venue.

Image

Image

Ms Belosevic said the decision to place the company into liquidation had been particularly difficult given the level of investment and hard work that had been injected into the project.

“Unfortunately, the business has not been able to generate the level of turnover and ongoing support from clientele required for it to succeed,” she said.

The Begovics transformed the Grenfell St basement into a lavish venue with plush booths, chandeliers and high, decorated ceilings.

Inspiration for the new decor came from a trip to New York and the classic style of the Regent and Adelaide arcades. Chandeliers were sourced from Melbourne and an old church demolished to make way for the South Rd expansion.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... a68bba2731

User avatar
The Scooter Guy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Anywhere!
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#288 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:17 pm

PeFe wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:13 pm
The Propaganda Club has bitten the dust.
From The Advertiser
The Propaganda Club has closed its doors and called in liquidators just over a year since a grand launch

BILLED as “Adelaide’s only supper club”, CBD nightspot The Propaganda Club has fallen into the hands of liquidators and will be wound up just over a year since opening its doors.

Opened by former Zhivago nightclub owners Petar and Wendy Belosevic in June 2016, the basement venue in Regent Arcade is described on its website as an “elegant restaurant, lounge and cocktail bar that embraces a New York inspired charm”.

The Propaganda Club’s opening in 2016 followed 18 months of building work on the dilapidated former Player’s Bar venue.

Image

Image

Ms Belosevic said the decision to place the company into liquidation had been particularly difficult given the level of investment and hard work that had been injected into the project.

“Unfortunately, the business has not been able to generate the level of turnover and ongoing support from clientele required for it to succeed,” she said.

The Begovics transformed the Grenfell St basement into a lavish venue with plush booths, chandeliers and high, decorated ceilings.

Inspiration for the new decor came from a trip to New York and the classic style of the Regent and Adelaide arcades. Chandeliers were sourced from Melbourne and an old church demolished to make way for the South Rd expansion.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... a68bba2731
What a needless waste! If Cotton On next door had closed, then could this mean Regent Arcade might be in perilous danger?
The True Location of Tea Tree Gully is in any state but yours.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 701 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#289 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 am

Downtown Nightclub is getting a massive makeover, and work is already underway

Image

Image

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#290 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:02 am

It would be nice if they restored the almost heritage sign. The previous tenants destroyed it.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:34 pm

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#291 Post by Briggzy_03 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 am
Downtown Nightclub is getting a massive makeover, and work is already underway
I don't know if the article has been on here posted before... but it is the owner of the Wool Shed who is behind this project.
Adelaide’s renowned Downtown to be revived as a major nightclub, entertainment venue

Paul Starick, Chief Reporter, The Advertiser
January 6, 2018 9:26am

Image

A BORDERTOWN farmer turned major Hindley St hotelier is creating Adelaide’s largest nightclub and entertainment complex at the renowned former Downtown amusement arcade.

Woolshed and Black Bull hotel leaseholder John Meek wants to spend $3 million to create a five-level complex with capacity for up to 3000 people, called Downtown.

It will include a rooftop bar, street-level oyster wine bar, function rooms and two stage areas with capacity for 500 and 1500 people respectively.

Image

Pinball machines at the Downtown Fun and Leisure Centre, 1979.

Opened in 1913 as the Wondergraph Theatre, the now-vacant complex was famed in the 1980s as the site of Downtown, which featured roller skating, dodgem cars and a games arcade. A Hungry Jack’s restaurant was also on the ground floor.

Image

Exterior of the "Downtown" leisure centre building in Hindley Street, 1981.

Mr Meek, who also runs cattle and sheep on 1500ha farms, has operated nightclubs in the ground floor area but now has taken a 20-year lease over the entire complex.

Adelaide City Council has given development approval for the internal renovation but neighbouring property owners are objecting as part of a liquor licensing process, arguing Downtown’s capacity for 3000 people and 5am closing will create footpath congestion and safety risks.

Mr Meek, who took over the Woolshed in 2001, said he did not anticipate major queues but had some space inside for between 100 and 200 people to wait.

“Hindley St was and has been for some years the entertainment area. They didn’t operate one day a week 100 years ago (when the theatre had 1800 seats),” he said.

The complex, the first stage of which Mr Meek hopes to open in March, will include a ground floor restaurant/coffee shop in an oyster bar theme.

Three floors above are intended for daytime use as corporate function and restaurant facilities, becoming nightclub areas after 9pm.

Econ Property Group director James Economos, whose firm owns the neighbouring Adelaide Paringa Motel and Miller Apartments, said there seemed to be no consideration about how an already overcrowded Hindley St would cope with 3000 people arriving and exiting from one entry point.

“The Adelaide West End precinct and laneways are rapidly changing for the better but, unfortunately, Hindley St’s transformation is being hindered by the rapid development of more mega nightclub venues, without proper consideration to the inevitable impact on public safety in the area,” he said.

Adelaide City Council’s community acting director Vanessa Godden said the administration also had been concerned about queueing’s potential effect.

“The applicant’s business plan confirms that they intend to get patrons into the venue quickly rather than have queues,” she said.

Adelaide West End Association president Andrew Wallace welcomed businesses opening on Hindley St and said lessons learned from HQ nightclub’s opening in November included having daytime ground floor space and ensuring queues did not affect footpath traffic.

A 22-year-old man died last month after a brawl between more than a dozen people broke out on the popular party street, near the intersection of Morphett St.

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#292 Post by rev » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 am
Image
That's quite a large led 'wall' there..

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 701 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#293 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:43 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 pm
Norman wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 am
Image
That's quite a large led 'wall' there..
Yep, it used to be in the foyer area of the building advertising the venue.

User avatar
The Scooter Guy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Anywhere!
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#294 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm

The former PJ O'Briens on West Tce is becoming B'Churrasco; a Brazilian style steakhouse.
It'll be the second one in Australia (the first opened in Melbourne not long ago)

In addition, The Office On Pirie states 'Temporarily Closed', presumably due to either landlord in possession, liquor licensing issues or changes to regulations.
The True Location of Tea Tree Gully is in any state but yours.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 184 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#295 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:04 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm
The former PJ O'Briens on West Tce is becoming B'Churrasco; a Brazilian style steakhouse.
It'll be the second one in Australia (the first opened in Melbourne not long ago)

In addition, The Office On Pirie states 'Temporarily Closed', presumably due to either landlord in possession, liquor licensing issues or changes to regulations.
You mean on East Terrace ;)

South Australia's QuizzaMe State Manager wrote on Facebook that The Office is closed for good.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 701 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#296 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Went to The Hindley/HQ for a Fringe show recently, the interior is actually quite nice. Here are some photos:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#297 Post by how good is he » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:49 pm

I think the brick walls & columns in the last photo are the original walls/columns from the old (prob. Circa 1880-1910) building that was there previously.

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1304
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 566 times

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#298 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 pm

The Dog and Duck is getting a bit of an overhaul (and a verandah) by the looks of it:

Image

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3318
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 96 times

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#299 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:01 pm

Nothing says reno like a new verandah!

But not a bad idea, its a good location and used to do good meals, hopefully a savvy operator is found.

Mpol03
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#300 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Has it changed owners?
Five to ten years ago when it was renovated, it was one of the most heaving places. Always mad busy.
I find clubs to be so fickle they go in and out of fashion like the seasons.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Singapore Skyline and 9 guests