[CAN] 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
noted
High Rise Poster!

[CAN] Re: 322 King William Street | ~100m | 2 x 30 Lvls | Mixed Us

#46 Post by noted » Thu May 12, 2016 12:34 pm

Thunderstruck wrote:This CANNOT be allowed if it's like the latest image. Quite possibly the worst render one could come up with for something in 2016 times. Original please, that was pretty neat.
Really? I agree the original is slightly better, but the two aren't massively different. At least not different enough I would have thought to go from being "pretty neat", to the worst render one could come up with.

Each to their own and not trying to knock you, but personally I think something like this is a million times better than some of the other proposals floating about (ie 124-126 Franklin St).

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:43 pm

I hope that it is the quality of the render, rather than the design itself that is making this one look a little iffy.

In the second render it's quite hard to pick out the detail of the building, or even it's exact shape.

To me at least the latest render makes it look pretty featureless - even the podium looks like it incorporates significant areas of nothing instead of the large windows and set-back areas shown in the original.

I also personally liked the slanted roofline - squaring off such a large building just looks like a bit of a cop out architecturally.

Like I say, hopefully future renders will make it look a little more sexy...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by monotonehell » Thu May 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:...I also personally liked the slanted roofline - squaring off such a large building just looks like a bit of a cop out architecturally...
I can't decide if it actually is a slanted facade or just a product of the virtual warped perspective they've used.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#49 Post by Plasmatron » Thu May 12, 2016 1:52 pm

If we could keep the better "podium" design of the first render, with the extra height of the second render, along with some extra flair to make it more unique and iconic... we could be onto a winner. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#50 Post by phenom » Thu May 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Any ideas on what the 30 levels are comprised of? Based on the article Ben posted, they note:

7 floors car parking
9 floors commercial
9 floors residential
1 floor rooftop restaurant

That's 26 to my count. Allow presumably a ground floor for lobby etc and that leaves 3 floors unaccounted for.

I'd assume it was more residential but the article seems quite specific that each nine floor block of residential will contain 63 apartments.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 Post by Ben » Thu May 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Penthouses are likely to be 2 levels, maybe even 3.

it looks like it still points up on the ends but maybe its been toned down as it seems more subtle.

Slightly better quality render but the podium is missing. The lighting in the render seems all wrong too. Makes it seems like there are more levels then there are by breaking up the lighting.
Attachments
322.JPG
322.JPG (118.71 KiB) Viewed 4504 times

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#52 Post by Blimp » Thu May 12, 2016 4:19 pm

I think the artists impression is quite nice. The podium bit on the recent render is alittle disappointing but the building itself is quite sleek. Still only an artists impression though, ill reserve my full judgement for when (if) they lodge some detailed plans.

Ho Really

#53 Post by Ho Really » Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 pm

Here's a a complete rendering with the podium.

There's not too much change. I think the older artist's impression looked more glossy, but this one has the height that makes it more impressive. It also looks like an office tower.

Cheers

P.S. If the image is too big for your liking let me know and I'll reduce it.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Algernon

#54 Post by Algernon » Sat May 14, 2016 5:46 am

Llessur2002 wrote:Not sure about this one now - didn't mind the original render but whilst the extra height is a bonus in the second one, now they've squared it off it just looks like one bulky featureless lump. A bit like a glass version of those big square 60s tower blocks they are currently demolishing in Glasgow, Scotland:

Hopefully it'll be nicer in the flesh...
No, a glass version of that is the Central Equity crap that goes up in Melbourne.

Sometimes I wonder if this is a pro development forum :lol:

Btw I currently live in a bona fide commie tower. As in, actually built by communism. With the exception of a couple of houso blocks in Melbourne and Sydney (and maybe that munted pig on Henley Beach Rd) I don't know how anyone could think Australian buildings approach that level of crapness. :hilarious:

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Dvious » Sat May 14, 2016 11:28 am

I think this one is closer to 40 levels.

The article states 30 levels of glass tower.

Judging by the photo this looks to be much taller than Vue...

cyber_256
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#56 Post by cyber_256 » Sat May 14, 2016 1:09 pm

It's a very exciting development, certainly will add bulk to the southern part of the CBD. Would also look pretty good when coming off the freeway, Vue already creates quite an impact from that view.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by phenom » Sun May 15, 2016 12:14 pm

The renders on this one have a kind of reverse Burj Al Arab effect going - whereas that building looks half its actual height because the floor design kind of merges two floors into one visually and has nothing nearby, this (at least in renders and due to the lighting) bisects each of the floors and makes it look like a sixty storey building. Very keen to see a more detailed render or from other perspectives which I think would be a little less misleading.

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by Thunderstruck » Mon May 16, 2016 3:58 pm

noted wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:This CANNOT be allowed if it's like the latest image. Quite possibly the worst render one could come up with for something in 2016 times. Original please, that was pretty neat.
Really? I agree the original is slightly better, but the two aren't massively different. At least not different enough I would have thought to go from being "pretty neat", to the worst render one could come up with.

Each to their own and not trying to knock you, but personally I think something like this is a million times better than some of the other proposals floating about (ie 124-126 Franklin St).
Nah nah mate all good I see now the error in my viewing. I took that image posted as the new render but realised later on it was just an image he grabbed to make his point re scotish high rise tower block etc. I thought that was it and saw red...tricked me. Images do that in these threads...gotta be careful.

Changes not too bad, just hope it gets built.
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

noted
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by noted » Sat May 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Haha, in that case your comments make perfect sense. Those Scottish towers are ghastly looking things. Looking forward to hearing more about this one, used to work in the Optus building a lifetime ago and always thought this area had great potential. After years and years of nothing, I'm pleasantly surprised by how quickly its changing.

Patrick_27

#60 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:44 am

noted wrote:Haha, in that case your comments make perfect sense. Those Scottish towers are ghastly looking things. Looking forward to hearing more about this one, used to work in the Optus building a lifetime ago and always thought this area had great potential. After years and years of nothing, I'm pleasantly surprised by how quickly its changing.
I guess you could say that this development has now been noted. :wink: