[CAN] 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3544
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 288 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#286 Post by rev » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:07 am

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 am
Ben wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:44 am
HiTouch wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 am
It will be Student Accom.
Is that speculation or fact?
Speculation based on the business lingo they use. The phrase " a change in those being appealed to (future clientele)" never means 'we are going up-market'. It means 'we aren't making sales, we need to widen our reach and make it cheaper". The city's audience is generally either Upper-class or Student residents so if they're not going for Upper-class, they're most probably going for students.
What if they go for a mix of residential, hotel, and retail?
There's many big hotel chains we don't have in Adelaide. Not every hotel has to be an Oaks or Mantra.

User avatar
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2357
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: fassifern (near Brisbane)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 14 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#287 Post by skyliner » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Ben, u mentioned the info I found out was speculation. If you dont really know this, to say what the people at Lumineque told me is assumption is not a good base to proceed with in logic. I also understand that it is their business to know the industry into which they are entering with Luminesque. Bald assumptions do not form part of this.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Been thanked: 40 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#288 Post by how good is he » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 pm

The logical conclusion with Karidis as owner/developer is these will be serviced apartments (with commercial on the ground). Considering he already has many similar sites that he manages as such. It would be far more likely than student accom. (which he has never run/developed before). Further the returns are usually higher with serviced apartments and have a bigger market to sell to - both owner occupiers & investors. So instead of being 5 star, I think it will actually do better as a 3.5/4 star operation. Plus with the tram at your door both tourists, business travellers & students can/will rent them also.

Mpol03
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 31 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#289 Post by Mpol03 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:15 am

I would hope the original design remained but I won’t hold my breath.

HiTouch
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 pm
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 69 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#290 Post by HiTouch » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am

skyliner wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 pm
Ben, u mentioned the info I found out was speculation. If you dont really know this, to say what the people at Lumineque told me is assumption is not a good base to proceed with in logic. I also understand that it is their business to know the industry into which they are entering with Luminesque. Bald assumptions do not form part of this.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
The people you met at Luminesque may have been contracted Promotions people with little experience or knowledge of the actual development apart the basics in order to sell the product. Often these development showrooms are full of those people. They may have heard that May is when construction was meant to start which obviously isnt the case. There's often a big gap in communication between the promoters and the decision makers. It's the same with the people Ben spoke to.

Unless you spoke to someone who has a hand in the development.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5498
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 399 times
Been thanked: 139 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#291 Post by Will » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:36 pm

In further evidence this development is dead, the old Trims site as well as the former display suite are now "for lease"

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/prope ... -502890154

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/prope ... -502890330

Mpol03
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 31 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#292 Post by Mpol03 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:22 am

I wonder why this didn’t work? Was it the marketing ? Who was this aimed at? I’ve heard it was geared toward retirees?

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3544
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 288 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#293 Post by rev » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am

Mpol03 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:22 am
I wonder why this didn’t work? Was it the marketing ? Who was this aimed at? I’ve heard it was geared toward retirees?
From what I understood it was to be a high rise retirement village essentially.

It was probably the better design of the 100m+ proposals imho. Shame they couldn't rework it and gear it towards being residential apartments on the upper levels, throw in a hotel somewhere below, and some retail on ground level. Two decent looking blue glass towers on the skyline, what a big positive impact that would have had.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 366 times
Been thanked: 52 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#294 Post by Ho Really » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:42 am

rev wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am
Mpol03 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:22 am
I wonder why this didn’t work? Was it the marketing ? Who was this aimed at? I’ve heard it was geared toward retirees?
From what I understood it was to be a high rise retirement village essentially.

It was probably the better design of the 100m+ proposals imho. Shame they couldn't rework it and gear it towards being residential apartments on the upper levels, throw in a hotel somewhere below, and some retail on ground level. Two decent looking blue glass towers on the skyline, what a big positive impact that would have had.
It was a novel idea. Credit to Karidis, however I'm not sure the grand majority of retirees want to go up and down lifts and stairs. Surely they prefer a low maintenance unit in the burbs or in a campervan travelling. Like you said rev this should have been rejigged. Perhaps Karidis is looking at this, we can only hope. Those towers did look impressive.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:41 am
Location: Sitting Down
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 250 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#295 Post by Pikey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:42 am
rev wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am
Mpol03 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:22 am
I wonder why this didn’t work? Was it the marketing ? Who was this aimed at? I’ve heard it was geared toward retirees?
From what I understood it was to be a high rise retirement village essentially.

It was probably the better design of the 100m+ proposals imho. Shame they couldn't rework it and gear it towards being residential apartments on the upper levels, throw in a hotel somewhere below, and some retail on ground level. Two decent looking blue glass towers on the skyline, what a big positive impact that would have had.
It was a novel idea. Credit to Karidis, however I'm not sure the grand majority of retirees want to go up and down lifts and stairs. Surely they prefer a low maintenance unit in the burbs or in a campervan travelling. Like you said rev this should have been rejigged. Perhaps Karidis is looking at this, we can only hope. Those towers did look impressive.

Cheers
Essentially U City is what was proposed here function wise, just on a smaller scale. There is a desire for inner city retirement living, I would say the value proposition with U City, along with how it was marketed shows why one is close to topping out, and the other has disappeared.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia
Has thanked: 270 times
Been thanked: 136 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#296 Post by Algernon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Pikey wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Ho Really wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:42 am
rev wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am


From what I understood it was to be a high rise retirement village essentially.

It was probably the better design of the 100m+ proposals imho. Shame they couldn't rework it and gear it towards being residential apartments on the upper levels, throw in a hotel somewhere below, and some retail on ground level. Two decent looking blue glass towers on the skyline, what a big positive impact that would have had.
It was a novel idea. Credit to Karidis, however I'm not sure the grand majority of retirees want to go up and down lifts and stairs. Surely they prefer a low maintenance unit in the burbs or in a campervan travelling. Like you said rev this should have been rejigged. Perhaps Karidis is looking at this, we can only hope. Those towers did look impressive.

Cheers
Essentially U City is what was proposed here function wise, just on a smaller scale. There is a desire for inner city retirement living, I would say the value proposition with U City, along with how it was marketed shows why one is close to topping out, and the other has disappeared.
U City is basically being built by the Uniting Church. They had a ready made market, and their crowd aren't going to dog their own church and buy elsewhere. Also they have other related infrastructure like hospitals and retirement homes, so plenty of cross sell.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6391
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 860 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#297 Post by Ben » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Probably will try and demolish it and turn into a carpark like his Pulteney Street site. :cry:

Jaymz
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 56 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#298 Post by Jaymz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Pikey wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Essentially U City is what was proposed here function wise, just on a smaller scale. There is a desire for inner city retirement living, I would say the value proposition with U City, along with how it was marketed shows why one is close to topping out, and the other has disappeared.
Well yes and no, both developments were targeted at retirees but at opposite end of the spectrum.

Echelon aimed to attract the well-heeled, self funded retiree wanting to downsize in a luxurious type setting,
while U-City has a large affordable living componenet subsidised by the Government as far as i'm aware.

User avatar
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:41 am
Location: Sitting Down
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 250 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#299 Post by Pikey » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 am

Thread cleaned up.

Let's keep it civil, okeedokee?
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 93 times

[CAN] Re: 322 KWS - Echelon | 114m | 2 x 31 Lvls | Mixed Use

#300 Post by Nort » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am

With the recent boom in taller buildings I'll cross my fingers that someone decides this site would be perfect for a new tallest residential. :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests