[VIS] Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#151 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 am

Let's not dumb down the discussion to "it's a box". The screening may form a rectangle, but the building within is a series of rotated volumes of differing sizes (both in area and height). Architecture isn't just about what the outside looks like, but the internal spaces as well, and no doubt the jury considered how the spaces will be used by the gallery and how it meets their goals. One item of note with the winning proposal is that a third of the building is cantilevered, with the sculpture garden underneath — which gives a large covered outdoor gallery which is accessible 24/7 as well as providing a north/south route through the site. I think that, along with the flexible performance lab, and suspended garden, would have appealed to the jury.

That said, this wasn't my pick, and I was expecting them to veer towards the Adjaye entry.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#152 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:02 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 am
Let's not dumb down the discussion to "it's a box". The screening may form a rectangle, but the building within is a series of rotated volumes of differing sizes (both in area and height). Architecture isn't just about what the outside looks like, but the internal spaces as well, and no doubt the jury considered how the spaces will be used by the gallery and how it meets their goals. One item of note with the winning proposal is that a third of the building is cantilevered, with the sculpture garden underneath — which gives a large covered outdoor gallery which is accessible 24/7 as well as providing a north/south route through the site. I think that, along with the flexible performance lab, and suspended garden, would have appealed to the jury.

That said, this wasn't my pick, and I was expecting them to veer towards the Adjaye entry.
Agree that architecture isn't just about the outside, but surely this project needed to be iconic both internally and externally. Whatever the collection on display happens to end up being this design isn't going to tempt many people to jump on a plane just to experience it. It will just make it harder to sell the whole concept if the packaging isn't stunning, and imo this entry was the least stunning if the finalists.

Nort

#153 Post by Nort » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:34 pm

No-one would be flying to Adelaide just to look at the architecture of that winning design, but none of the proposals would have really been a draw-card in that regards.

Any anguish over the design is moot anyway, given that the chances of any of these designs being built is remote. The new state government will want to put their own stamp on the location.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#154 Post by floplo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:02 pm
Agree that architecture isn't just about the outside, but surely this project needed to be iconic both internally and externally. Whatever the collection on display happens to end up being this design isn't going to tempt many people to jump on a plane just to experience it. It will just make it harder to sell the whole concept if the packaging isn't stunning, and imo this entry was the least stunning if the finalists.
Actually, I am coming round on the proposal, maybe not so much because of the architecture but the usage-case.

Let's be honest here, the number of international tourists that will fly to Australia for an art museum is minuscule. Given all the places they have in Europe, the billions they put into things in the Middle East and the cultural heritage in Asia, art isn't a major Australian drawcard. Even if you look at Mona, international tourists don't visit Tasmania to go to Mona, they go to Mona because they visit Tasmania. It might be more of a draw for domestic tourists, but even there I think it has more to do with events (Mofo, etc) and ancillary activities triggered by the museum than by the museum itself. Consequently, what I think the city should build is a centre attracting local population to the arts, and once you get locals you also get tourists as interest spreads.

If you look at the entries (at least that was my impression after attending the presentation part of the Uni Adelaide forum), the winning bid focused on turning this into an contemporary arts centre rather than just a gallery. If you want a template, it's not so much Bilbao or Mona, it should be Centre Pompidou in Paris (and hey, given the love for all things French those subs caused, maybe somebody should suggest that it will be an actual Centre Pompidou partner), which isn't just known as a museum but also as a cultural centre with a large range of activity, including a very lively public square.

Should the design be iconic, absolutely, but that's something the architects should get to after it has been decided what this should be. And I am slowly warming to the idea of a cultural centre rather than a tourism statement building.

Algernon

#155 Post by Algernon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:44 pm

People crucify a private high rise student dormitory for not being world beating architecture. Then when a state funded public building is proposed, with iconic design in its remit, and an international design comp comes up with a shoe box.... people rationalise it away. Double standards much.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#156 Post by ml69 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:04 am

I think in light of the changed political landscape, we are now likely to see a hybrid indigenous art/culture gallery PLUS contemporary art gallery in the SAME scheme.

And given that Melbourne and Sydney will be building huge contemporary art galleries themselves, this could be the BEST thing to have a hybrid gallery, because it becomes our main POINT OF DIFFERENCE to other galleries around the country.

My speculation is this is "possibly" why this scheme may have been chosen, because of all 6 designs it most easily lends itself to this dual function in its layout.

The Indigenous art and culture gallery with associated performance spaces is located in the 2 basement levels ... this area could have an earthy, timeless atmosphere and feel.

At ground level, the "super lobby" contains the reception hall and spaces for temporary and blockbuster exhibitions. Signature art works for the contemporary gallery could also be located here.

Then the upper day-lit level is used for contemporary art (although the total floor area allocated for contemporary art would be smaller than the original brief).

The above arrangement is already suggested in the winning scheme. And I think it's an easy-to-understand layout which would work well.

My bugbear, as with others, is the external appearance. It's sooo plain and boring. And not iconic at all. Even given its boxy shape, couldn't we do something with the surfaces of the upper levels to make it far more textured and interesting?

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#157 Post by ynotsfables » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 am

I think if the building is lit up at night it may look quite interesting, or maybe some permanent lighting display as a feature. Otherwise during the day it may look a bit ordinary if there were to be no redeeming texture to the building, or glass.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#158 Post by ml69 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Simple solution to the box design ... clad the box section in lightweight EFTE plastic panels.

Would give it textural variation during the day, and would look brilliant at night with LED backlighting. Would actually become a landmark because of this feature.

Nathan

#159 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 pm

The outer "box" is channel glass. You can see its translucency and the rotated forms behind it in this render:

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#160 Post by Spurdo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 pm
The outer "box" is channel glass. You can see its translucency and the rotated forms behind it in this render:
b-b-but its a square, it can't possibly be a good building if it looks boxy /s

Algernon

#161 Post by Algernon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Spurdo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:35 pm
Nathan wrote:
b-b-but its a square, it can't possibly be a good building if it looks boxy /s
I've seen a handfull of similar looking buildings in Europe and people from all over town flock to them. Only difference is the one proposed in Adelaide doesn't have the TESCO logo on it.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#162 Post by Jaymz » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm the first to admit I mostly picked my favourite from the external look of the building (the BIG/JPE design).

But the more I look at the detail of the winning design, the more I like it. After visiting MoNa only a few months ago, it's quite an unremarkable building from the outside...... but it's when you enter that it really blows your mind. It's difficult to describe, but it's like being in a completely different universe for a few hours.

Anyways, the internal layout of our winning design looks most interesting and I'm pretty certain that it could incorporate both a contemporary and indigenous display, the lower levels for the former. The open spaces outside look like a good idea too.

Patrick_27

#163 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:55 am

To respond to a point made above, my reason for not supporting the winning design lies simply with how imposing it is (and not the good kind). If this were built on the Festival Plaza or even the Napier Plaza at Uni Adelaide, I'd be all for it! It would blend better into the surrounds. But what this design does is fight against the heritage on one side and the natural elements on the other rather than weave them together. Whereas, the BIG/JPE design did exactly that AND it provided a unique interior/exterior layout whilst still providing the space required to make this proposal worthwhile. I'd be intrigued to read the statement for why this design was actually chosen over the others and what the other designs apparently lacked because quite frankly I think this design is among the safest of the lot and simply doesn't fit with being a timeless design like say the SAMRI.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#164 Post by ml69 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:25 am

Nathan wrote:

Not very inspiring. Having looked at many other examples of the application of channel glass last night, I'm still of the belief that it will look boring.

EFTE, on the other hand, is a much more bolder material with more possibilities. If we're going to run with this design... well fine, but let's make it look bold and iconic.

claybro

#165 Post by claybro » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Surely it is what goes on in the building that will cement it as "iconic". This project was imagined from the outset by the success of MONA in Tasmania, but looking at the images of MONA building, it really does not look very inspiring either. Large, bulky and eye catching yes, but...well in the eye of the beholder as they say. Yet MONA has taken over Hobart like no other project has transformed a city probably since the Sydney Opera House was built. Now the Opera House is a fine looking and iconic building, but not really well suited for purpose due to acoustic and space issues. I think if high qual finishes are used, as others have said, the building may not turn out too bad, and with special lighting effects etc. and properly managed and promoted it may well still be "iconic"