[VIS] Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery

#31 Post by rhino » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:10 am

I seem to be in exact accord with SRW on this one - happy for the Governor to stay in Government house, but it is a beautiful house in beautiful grounds, right on the edge of the City, and should be open to the public more often than it is (which is not to say it should be always open - it's where the Governor lives, after all)
cheers,
Rhino

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by floplo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:46 pm

I still think Parade ground would be a great location

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Patrick_27

#33 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:38 am

floplo wrote:I still think Parade ground would be a great location

What about the historical significance of the Torrens Parade Ground don't you understand? Build it where there it won't impose on pre-existing establishments and the people will still come. If people don't go it won't be because of where it's located.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Honey of a City » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:55 am

Patrick_27 wrote:

What about the historical significance of the Torrens Parade Ground don't you understand? Build it where there it won't impose on pre-existing establishments and the people will still come. If people don't go it won't be because of where it's located.
The Parade Ground could remain as a functional outdoor event space if the Adelaide Contemporary was built in the Government House grounds. In fact it could be integrated into the whole complex. The current Government House would be a magnificent entrance to the contemporary gallery built in its back yard, which is a massive area consisting of swimming pool, vegie gardens and car parks for the exclusive use of the current official residents and their support systems. There's nothing more salutary to contemporary design than to integrate it into a heritage context. The links and proximity to transport, city accommodation, the river, the Festival complex, convention centre and cultural boulevard are gold.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by floplo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:

Because nothing screams historical significance more than using it seemingly only as a car park....

Patrick_27

#36 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:10 pm

floplo wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:

Because nothing screams historical significance more than using it seemingly only as a car park....
Well then, do your research.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:13 pm

This was lost in the news today:
Adelaide Contemporary Gallery to showcase modern art on old hospital site

Despite its reputation as a destination for arts lovers, Adelaide has for years lacked an internationally recognised, standalone gallery dedicated to contemporary artwork.

But that is going to change, with a competition underway for architects to design a new modern art museum to be located in the city's east end.

The Adelaide Contemporary Gallery has been included in the State Government's intentions for the redevelopment of the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site.

While plans for residential development have been downscaled, the site's design will include the gallery and adjacent sculpture park at the eastern edge, near the botanic garden.

SA Art Gallery director Nick Mitzevich has long been calling for a separate gallery for modern art, pointing to its potential as a tourist attraction.

"To select a design team to come up with an innovative smart building that will be iconic for the site is a great step forward," he said.

The selection process will be in three stages. Applicants will be invited to express their interest from next month.

Six architects will then be nominated to produce designs, before one is chosen next year.
Mr Mitzevich said the new gallery would complement the state's main Art Gallery, which is only hundreds of metres away on North Terrace.

He said the gallery's collection included more than 45,000 works of art that were worth nearly $1 billion.

"There are 4,000 works in the contemporary area and less than 1 per cent of it is on display," Mr Mitzevich said.

"What we want to do is put that collection to work ... and make sure it's an important drawcard for the state.

"It's an asset that we just need to leverage much more because the treasure trove of our collection is so profound ... that we've got the collection for the building already."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-19/c ... de/8960712

Nathan

#38 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:46 pm

The design competition has previously been announced, but that's the first mention I've seen about an adjacent sculpture park. Always thought Bonython Park would be a good location for one (particularly the fairly dead space between the river and rail lines), but acting as an interface between the gallery and the botanic gardens would work well too.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#39 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 am

Can't miss the opportunity to quickly revive my idea to hold a Sculpture By The Sea type event in the parklands (Sculture In The Park obvs)... but I've discussed that in other threads.

To the gallery itself, it has to be daring. It should challenge Adelaide: for once, controversy should be seen as an elenent of its success.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rhino

#40 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 am
Can't miss the opportunity to quickly revive my idea to hold a Sculpture By The Sea type event in the parklands (Sculture In The Park obvs)... but I've discussed that in other threads.

To the gallery itself, it has to be daring. It should challenge Adelaide: for once, controversy should be seen as an elenent of its success.
Like Hobart's MONA?
cheers,
Rhino

claybro

#41 Post by claybro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm

rhino wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 pm
SRW wrote: ↑Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:39 am

Like Hobart's MONA?
The flow on from the Hobart MONA has transformed the whole city there. The winter MOFO festival has sprung from the daring MONA venue, and the normally conservative Tasmanians have embraced it in droves. it literally takes over the whole city in much the same as the Grand Prix used to transform Adelaide. One can only hope this will not be some half arsed rip off of MONA, as if done right it will be transformative. And as is shown in Hobart, it does not need to be right there to be successful.-I always assumed this would end up at the old RAH site.

Nathan

#42 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:59 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm
The flow on from the Hobart MONA has transformed the whole city there. The winter MOFO festival has sprung from the daring MONA venue, and the normally conservative Tasmanians have embraced it in droves. it literally takes over the whole city in much the same as the Grand Prix used to transform Adelaide. One can only hope this will not be some half arsed rip off of MONA, as if done right it will be transformative. And as is shown in Hobart, it does not need to be right there to be successful.-I always assumed this would end up at the old RAH site.
I think as long as Mitzevich is in charge, we won't end up with a half arsed rip off. He has done an exceptional job with the art gallery (on a meagre budget, it's worth noting). Hopefully we get a better response (especially from bigger firms) to the design comp than what we saw with the original Old RAH competition.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm
We have events here that totally take over the city, most especially the Fringe. Indeed, that's the selling point of Adelaide in March.

My problem is that the Fringe and Festival are rarely outre any more. That's the space I wish the contemporary gallery to fill.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rhino

#44 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Do you think MONA attracts people to Hobart, or that it's a "must see" while they are there? I love Hobart and have been there many times, and to MONA once while I was there - it certainly wasn't the drawcard to the city. Same with Melbourne, the National Gallery is great but it's not Melbourne's drawcard. Depends on what's on I guess (e.g. the van Gogh exhibition). I guess if you have a "must see" attraction, it will keep visitors here for an extra day, which all helps.
cheers,
Rhino

Nathan

#45 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:23 pm

rhino wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm
Do you think MONA attracts people to Hobart, or that it's a "must see" while they are there? I love Hobart and have been there many times, and to MONA once while I was there - it certainly wasn't the drawcard to the city. Same with Melbourne, the National Gallery is great but it's not Melbourne's drawcard. Depends on what's on I guess (e.g. the van Gogh exhibition). I guess if you have a "must see" attraction, it will keep visitors here for an extra day, which all helps.
It absolutely does. I haven't been to Hobart, but I've been very keen to go (especially now we've got direct flights) — primarily because of MONA. The city would never have been on my radar before.

I know it's not the same for others, but for my wife and I, galleries are a very big part of deciding where we travel to.