[VIS] Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Outsider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#166 Post by Outsider » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:36 pm

So is this really, truly dead? Seems to have sunk without a trace and without much public disappointment either.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#167 Post by ml69 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:18 am

Outsider wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:36 pm
So is this really, truly dead? Seems to have sunk without a trace and without much public disappointment either.
What makes you think that?

Just because there has been no public announcement for 3 weeks doesn't mean it's dead!!!

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#168 Post by GrowAdelaide » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:41 am

Outsider wrote:
You have to wait three years before something is dead, not three weeks.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#169 Post by Nort » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:01 am

ml69 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:18 am
Outsider wrote:
What makes you think that?

Just because there has been no public announcement for 3 weeks doesn't mean it's dead!!!
The government which put forward the proposal was voted out, the new government went into the election with a different plan for the site, and Marshall publicly said that the jury deliberations "...will bring to a close this stage of the project..."

Something will happen on this site, but if it's the "Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery" in a form that reflects the winning entry I'd be extremely surprised.

Nathan

#170 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:38 am

Nort wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:01 am
The government which put forward the proposal was voted out, the new government went into the election with a different plan for the site, and Marshall publicly said that the jury deliberations "...will bring to a close this stage of the project..."

Something will happen on this site, but if it's the "Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery" in a form that reflects the winning entry I'd be extremely surprised.
Again, the Adelaide Contemporary was not a Labor Government proposal. It is a project by the Art Gallery of South Australia, who requested some funding towards the design competition.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#171 Post by Spurdo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:39 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-01/u ... ad/9928774

Old news, but it seems that our very own ORAH is the latest victim of the perpetually offended manchildren. All this shitstorm over a damn hoarding :lol:

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#172 Post by HeapsGood » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Spurdo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:39 pm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-01/u ... ad/9928774

Old news, but it seems that our very own ORAH is the latest victim of the perpetually offended manchildren. All this shitstorm over a damn hoarding :lol:
Why are people assuming the gender of the person talking? talk about bigoted.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Llessur2002

#173 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:13 am

Construction of new gallery on the old RAH site not likely to start until 2022

CONSTRUCTION of a new gallery on the old RAH site is not likely to start until 2022, with the State Government yet to determine what mix of contemporary and indigenous art it will house.

Premier Steven Marshall confirmed it had money earmarked for the project to begin in the fourth year of its term, as he announced record annual and exhibition attendance figures at the Art Gallery of SA.

“In our forward estimates that we took to the election, we had money for that site in the final year of our four years,’’ Mr Marshall said.

“It would be wonderful to pull it forward, if the budget allowed for it and the site work was completed, but we still think that construction would more than likely start in 2022.’’

The Art Gallery’s appointment last week of Brisbane-born Rhana Devenport as its new director reinforced its commitment to the building of a second, contemporary gallery space, which predecessor Nick Mitzevich estimated would cost $250 million.

“That’s one option for that site but there is still a body of work to do, I think, to bring together exactly what this gallery is to showcase,’’ Mr Marshall said.

“We believe that the state has incredible collections of Aboriginal art and artefacts and we would like to see those collections coming together for the new gallery.’’

More than a million people visited the Art Gallery and its associated exhibitions during the past year while its most recent show of Impressionist paintings from Paris also blitzed past attendance records.

Colours of Impressionism closed on Sunday after four months and attracted 159,442 visitors, passing the previous record for a ticketed show, set by The Chinese Exhibition in 1977, by about 35,000 people.

It also attracted more than 35,000 visitors from outside SA, had unprecedented demand for school visits with 14,385 students and educators, and sparked a 40 per cent growth in Gallery memberships during the season.

The Gallery’s total visitation in 2017-18 was 1,051,033 people, which was up by more than 200,000 on the previous year.

That included more than 800,000 visitors to its North Terrace premises, and another 250,000 at other venues hosting its off-site exhibitions, which included the Adelaide Biennial of Australian Art and indigenous Tarnanthi Festival.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertai ... ea15b97477

Nathan

#174 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:11 am

In other words, delay until people forget about it, then quietly cancel it.

Also, why the hell is Marshall announcing the attendance figures for the gallery?

claybro

#175 Post by claybro » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:37 am

Nathan wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:11 am

Also, why the hell is Marshall announcing the attendance figures for the gallery?
To be fair, I think they have been consistent with the timeframe, even if we are all suspicious they are not committed to it and want it started NOW. As for Marshall announcing the attendance figures, I think you will find that is the person writing the story, as the words are not attributed to Marshall.

Nathan

#176 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:38 am

claybro wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:37 am
Nathan wrote:

To be fair, I think they have been consistent with the timeframe, even if we are all suspicious they are not committed to it and want it started NOW. As for Marshall announcing the attendance figures, I think you will find that is the person writing the story, as the words are not attributed to Marshall.
Premier Steven Marshall confirmed it had money earmarked for the project to begin in the fourth year of its term, as he announced record annual and exhibition attendance figures at the Art Gallery of SA

Raider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#177 Post by Raider » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:48 am

It still worries me to hear the combination of a contemporary & aboriginal art gallery. If the aboriginal displays are to be genuine artworks and not artifacts from the museum's collection, then I've no problem. I'm concerned the government will think that a contemporary art gallery is an appropriate place to display historical artifacts and not just artworks. They are two very different things.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#178 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:50 am

Sigh I can just see this project being all kinds of wrong. It will either be forgotten and then replaced with something totally useless and half-arsed, or remain vacant ala Le Cornu site in North Adelaide.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#179 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Nathan wrote:In other words, delay until people forget about it, then quietly cancel it.

That's the way these clowns operate
They're not really interested

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Waewick

#180 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:02 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:37 am
Nathan wrote:

I think we also have a change of leadership of the Art Gallery to deal with, that has implications on a whole host of things.

Can't see why they would cancel a main election promise they had, seems pretty daft.