[VIS] Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#121 Post by Waewick » Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Interesting development: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-2 ... fmredir=sm

Not sure if this is just a delay tactic to avoid having to build any form of gallery at all, or the Libs trying to do and about-turn on their indigenous gallery plans in favour of the already advanced contemporary gallery plan.

Either way, it seems good news that the demand for space at the innovation precinct is apparently very high Image
Its great that they are listening to the 2 big players in the field.

And agree with speeding it up. That place needs people ASAP.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#122 Post by ml69 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:53 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:Interesting development: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-2 ... fmredir=sm

Not sure if this is just a delay tactic to avoid having to build any form of gallery at all, or the Libs trying to do and about-turn on their indigenous gallery plans in favour of the already advanced contemporary gallery plan.

Either way, it seems good news that the demand for space at the innovation precinct is apparently very high Image

I think Marshall has taken a sensible position in engaging with BOTH the SA Museum and Art Gallery SA to develop a proposal which can take both of them forwards over the next 50 years. I just hope this engagement period doesn't drag out and hopefully we have a clear strategy and masterplan going forwards by the end of the year.

As I've said previously, the most logical option is an extension of the SA Museum into the grassy forecourt on North Tce, with a vast expansion of the Indigenous art and culture collection being the centrepiece of this extension. Also, bring the best of Tandanya into this extension.

Which then leaves Adelaide Contemporary to the oRAH site adjacent to the Botanic Gardens. In addition to the existing contemporary art collection held by AGSA, include some highly controversial new pieces that get people really riled up and repulsed. This is what's going to really bring the curious masses and tourists to this facility (think MONA, although we don't want to be a copy of it).

Raider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#123 Post by Raider » Mon May 28, 2018 8:08 am

I just really hope we don't end up with a facility that tries to be both. I think it would be disrespectful to put archaeological aboriginal artifacts and modern art in the same facility. In London, you wouldn't visit the British Museum to look at modern art and you wouldn't visit the Tate Modern to look at and learn about historical artifacts and cultures.

Nort

[VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#124 Post by Nort » Mon May 28, 2018 9:34 am

Raider wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:08 am
I just really hope we don't end up with a facility that tries to be both. I think it would be disrespectful to put archaeological aboriginal artifacts and modern art in the same facility. In London, you wouldn't visit the British Museum to look at modern art and you wouldn't visit the Tate Modern to look at and learn about historical artifacts and cultures.
For what it's worth, the SA Museum is trying to move away from the traditional museum model with its Aboriginal cultural items and are wanting to do more things that present the ongoing stories around items rather than simply sitting them in a glass case as historical artifacts.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#125 Post by rev » Mon May 28, 2018 9:51 am

ml69 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:53 pm
I think Marshall has taken a sensible position in engaging with BOTH the SA Museum and Art Gallery SA to develop a proposal which can take both of them forwards over the next 50 years. I just hope this engagement period doesn't drag out and hopefully we have a clear strategy and masterplan going forwards by the end of the year.
He's done that to cover his own government's ass.
If nothing happens on this, then they can blame the museum and art gallery for it.

Patrick_27

#126 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:42 pm

ml69 wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 pm

As I've said previously, the most logical option is an extension of the SA Museum into the grassy forecourt on North Tce, with a vast expansion of the Indigenous art and culture collection being the centrepiece of this extension. Also, bring the best of Tandanya into this extension.

Which then leaves Adelaide Contemporary to the oRAH site adjacent to the Botanic Gardens. In addition to the existing contemporary art collection held by AGSA, include some highly controversial new pieces that get people really riled up and repulsed. This is what's going to really bring the curious masses and tourists to this facility (think MONA, although we don't want to be a copy of it).
You've completely misinterpreted the SA Museum's original vision for expanding out onto the forecourt area, it wasn't to increase their Indigenous collect but to allow them to house more of their stored artefacts whilst providing them with an exhibition space that is competitive with those spaces provided interstate. To expand onto the forecourt and just put in more Indigenous collections would be seriously disappointing when the point of the Adelaide Contemporary was to house both modern art and artefacts as well as those of Indigenous significance, taking from both the SA Museum and Art Gallery of SA's collections. That should be the outcome, alongside an extension to the SA Museum.

Nathan

#127 Post by Nathan » Mon May 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:42 pm
You've completely misinterpreted the SA Museum's original vision for expanding out onto the forecourt area, it wasn't to increase their Indigenous collect but to allow them to house more of their stored artefacts whilst providing them with an exhibition space that is competitive with those spaces provided interstate. To expand onto the forecourt and just put in more Indigenous collections would be seriously disappointing when the point of the Adelaide Contemporary was to house both modern art and artefacts as well as those of Indigenous significance, taking from both the SA Museum and Art Gallery of SA's collections. That should be the outcome, alongside an extension to the SA Museum.
The brief of the Adelaide Contemporary was never to house artefacts, nor to display any of the museum's collection. The Gallery of Time is to display Aboriginal Art (alongside non-Aboriginal contemporary art), taken from AGSA's collection (and future acquisitions).

A joint facility would a horrible compromise that would serve neither institution. They need to be seperate buildings, with the idea that if someone is interested in a greater Aboriginal story, they can start at the museum's collection to gain historical context, followed by visiting the Adelaide Contemporary which then contextualises Aboriginal art against western contemporary art.

Patrick_27

#128 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:00 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:42 pm
The brief of the Adelaide Contemporary was never to house artefacts, nor to display any of the museum's collection. The Gallery of Time is to display Aboriginal Art (alongside non-Aboriginal contemporary art), taken from AGSA's collection (and future acquisitions).

A joint facility would a horrible compromise that would serve neither institution. They need to be seperate buildings, with the idea that if someone is interested in a greater Aboriginal story, they can start at the museum's collection to gain historical context, followed by visiting the Adelaide Contemporary which then contextualises Aboriginal art against western contemporary art.
Well if they were aiming to achieve something similar to that of MONA FOMA then their brief alone has missed the point. I'm not talking necessarily about historic artefacts, I'm talking about the fact that the Museum houses A LOT of artistic artefacts both in their Indigenous collection and outside of that. Think Vases and painted scrolls, these smaller items could easily have a place in either institution.

Nathan

#129 Post by Nathan » Mon May 28, 2018 3:24 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:06 pm
Well if they were aiming to achieve something similar to that of MONA FOMA then their brief alone has missed the point. I'm not talking necessarily about historic artefacts, I'm talking about the fact that the Museum houses A LOT of artistic artefacts both in their Indigenous collection and outside of that. Think Vases and painted scrolls, these smaller items could easily have a place in either institution.
Eh, like the festival? If you actually mean MONA itself — no, their brief is not to be another MONA.

I'm still not seeing the argument that a project entirely driven by AGSA needs to accomodate the museum's collection.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#130 Post by ml69 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:33 pm

rev wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:51 am
ml69 wrote:
If nothing happens on this, then they can blame the museum and art gallery for it.
Yes I think Marshall may have found that, post-election, there wasn't much support for his original indigenous art & culture gallery plan either from SA Museum or AGSA.

Not surprising, given that neither of them have ever spoken openly or supported the Liberal plan for this indigenous centre. It's pretty hard to push forward with an idea when both the institutions involved are lukewarm about it.

So to avoid public humiliation, Marshall has decided to engage further with these institution to determine exactly what they both do want.

Waewick

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#131 Post by Waewick » Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 pm

ml69 wrote:
rev wrote:
ml69 wrote:
Yes I think Marshall may have found that, post-election, there wasn't much support for his original indigenous art & culture gallery plan either from SA Museum or AGSA.

Not surprising, given that neither of them have ever spoken openly or supported the Liberal plan for this indigenous centre. It's pretty hard to push forward with an idea when both the institutions involved are lukewarm about it.

So to avoid public humiliation, Marshall has decided to engage further with these institution to determine exactly what they both do want.
Public humiliation? Seriously what are you smoking?

Nathan

#132 Post by Nathan » Mon May 28, 2018 9:29 pm

ml69 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:33 pm
rev wrote:
ml69 wrote:

You may be right about not much public sport for the culture gallery, but it's certainly supported by the SA Museum — it was their idea after all.

ml69
Legendary Member!

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#133 Post by ml69 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:27 am

Waewick wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 pm
ml69 wrote:
rev wrote:

What is your point?

Waewick

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#134 Post by Waewick » Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 am

ml69 wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 pm
ml69 wrote: Yes I think Marshall may have found that, post-election, there wasn't much support for his original indigenous art & culture gallery plan either from SA Museum or AGSA.

What is your point?
It was a seemingly pointless sentence in an otherwise bland statement.

Waewick

#135 Post by Waewick » Tue May 29, 2018 7:46 am

Nathan wrote:
ml69 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:33 pm
rev wrote:

You may be right about not much public sport for the culture gallery, but it's certainly supported by the SA Museum — it was their idea after all.
I thought there was support, or i could be confusing that with support for art gallery expansion?

Either way both centres deserve investment in my opinion as they both add signficantly to the cultural boulevard we are looking for on North Terrace.

And it would be good to use the space in the old RAH for more than office space.