[COM] 231-243 Waymouth Street | 55m | 17lvls | Student Accom

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 231-243 Waymouth Street | 55m | 17lvls | Student Accom

#256 Post by Pikey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:51 am

morty137 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:10 pm
Mpol03 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 pm
I think this will look better once you see more glass modern development around it. The contrast could be good.
I doubt people would buy apartment with the view of this crap from their balcony. I am extremely lucky that I didn't put down deposit for West Franklin with airport view apartment. Had I brought it, I would be waking up to this tragic view.
The classic example of "first world problems." Nothing to do with poverty, injustice, homelessness or crime, just a tower that you don't like. What other tragedies occur in our city that you would like struck from your vision? Maybe you don't like the colour of the concrete used in the tram extension? Perhaps the Torrens footbridge should have been clad in a darker Alucobond? Please share, that way I can set up an accurate change petition for you...
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

morty137
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#257 Post by morty137 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:06 am

floplo wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 pm
morty137 wrote:
Mpol03 wrote:
I think this will look better once you see more glass modern development around it. The contrast could be good.
I doubt people would buy apartment with the view of this crap from their balcony. I am extremely lucky that I didn't put down deposit for West Franklin with airport view apartment. Had I brought it, I would be waking up to this tragic view.
I did put down a deposit for such an apartment (not in West Franklin though) and I have absolutely no problem with having that building in my future panorama...
Good luck with the purchase. Now If you ever want to sell it tho, you will have to find a buyer who will also like the view. Not every potential buyer would like this view. For apartments, view is very important just as much as back yards for houses.

morty137
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#258 Post by morty137 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 am

Pikey wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:51 am
morty137 wrote:
Mpol03 wrote:
The classic example of "first world problems." Nothing to do with poverty, injustice, homelessness or crime, just a tower that you don't like. What other tragedies occur in our city that you would like struck from your vision? Maybe you don't like the colour of the concrete used in the tram extension? Perhaps the Torrens footbridge should have been clad in a darker Alucobond? Please share, that way I can set up an accurate change petition for you...
I dont think this as a first world problem as I myself a migrant from 3rd world. I've seen quality of the building in 3rd world and this building on par with those. if you build 10-20 of these building in CBD, quality of the skyline will reduce badly which I dont like to see happen.

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#259 Post by GrowAdelaide » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 am

morty137 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:06 am
floplo wrote:
morty137 wrote:

I did put down a deposit for such an apartment (not in West Franklin though) and I have absolutely no problem with having that building in my future panorama...
Good luck with the purchase. Now If you ever want to sell it tho, you will have to find a buyer who will also like the view. Not every potential buyer would like this view. For apartments, view is very important just as much as back yards for houses.
Aaah, as has been mentioned previously, this forum isn't designed for people looking for a property to buy (although some use the information to inform their decisions). We are here because we have an interest in the future of Adelaide and how new developments i9nfluence its growth and prosperity. This is why people have been suggesting your petition is not appropriate here.

morty137
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#260 Post by morty137 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 am

GrowAdelaide wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 am
morty137 wrote:
floplo wrote:

Aaah, as has been mentioned previously, this forum isn't designed for people looking for a property to buy (although some use the information to inform their decisions). We are here because we have an interest in the future of Adelaide and how new developments i9nfluence its growth and prosperity. This is why people have been suggesting your petition is not appropriate here.
Tell me honestly, would you like 10-20 of these kind of cheap ready made building being built in CBD within next couple of years?

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#261 Post by GrowAdelaide » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am

morty137 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 am
GrowAdelaide wrote:
morty137 wrote:

Tell me honestly, would you like 10-20 of these kind of cheap ready made building being built in CBD within next couple of years?
I don't have to concern myself with that because it is purely hypothetical that that would happen. Again, its been mentioned before that other buildings will go up around this which will change its aesthetic. Suggesting it be demolished is frankly ludicrous. You also do not seem to understand basic concepts of supply and demand. This is student accommodation, for which demand is finite. They will struggle to fill the existing proposed and under construction student accommodation buildings, and investment buyers are more discerning with regards to what they put their money into.

Seriously, give it up.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#262 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 am

I don't think we as a forum need to be so attacking on someones opinion. Having a petition isn't going to do anything, but at the same time it also isn't hurting anyone.

It's good to see people who are new to Adelaide being passionate about its future as much as those who have been here their whole lives. Unfortunately in a free market these types of developments will occur and the market will dictate whether they are successful.

I am also concerned with the amount and quality of student developments approved, proposed and constructed such as this one, Urbanest (x2), Globe and Dwell, as none are architectural master pieces, however all will eventually be blocked out by other buildings. We should always be demanding a high quality outcome, and we should not be discouraging someone from expressing their opinion when it is coming from the right place even if we disagree with it.

morty137
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#263 Post by morty137 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:55 am

GrowAdelaide wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am
morty137 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 am
GrowAdelaide wrote:

I don't have to concern myself with that because it is purely hypothetical that that would happen. Again, its been mentioned before that other buildings will go up around this which will change its aesthetic. Suggesting it be demolished is frankly ludicrous. You also do not seem to understand basic concepts of supply and demand. This is student accommodation, for which demand is finite. They will struggle to fill the existing proposed and under construction student accommodation buildings, and investment buyers are more discerning with regards to what they put their money into.

Seriously, give it up.
I dont think there would be 10-20 building going up in CBD anytime soon either but my concern is Council has approved this building which means something need to improve in approval process. I m not an expert on the subject matter but I have seen people talking about increase scrutiny over rendering or something. I dont know what it is, but something need to change the way building are being approved in CBD. I dont see this kind of building going up in Singapore/Sydney for example.

I understand this building is built to attract students, but Im sure they at least have some money to paint this building with some nice colors?

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#264 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 am

Oh Morty, give it a rest already. It's built. It is what it is. Accept it and move on. Find a more worthy cause to rally for.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Algernon

#265 Post by Algernon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Trolling account registered in March. Get rid of him.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#266 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:36 pm

World War three won't start in China, North Korea or the Middle East. It will be at 231-243 Waymouth Street, Adelaide.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#267 Post by HiTouch » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:43 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 am
I don't think we as a forum need to be so attacking on someones opinion. Having a petition isn't going to do anything, but at the same time it also isn't hurting anyone.

It's good to see people who are new to Adelaide being passionate about its future as much as those who have been here their whole lives. Unfortunately in a free market these types of developments will occur and the market will dictate whether they are successful.

I am also concerned with the amount and quality of student developments approved, proposed and constructed such as this one, Urbanest (x2), Globe and Dwell, as none are architectural master pieces, however all will eventually be blocked out by other buildings. We should always be demanding a high quality outcome, and we should not be discouraging someone from expressing their opinion when it is coming from the right place even if we disagree with it.
I totally agree with morty on this but I appreciate you being diplomatic about it Ben. These developments do not look good on their own so I agree that we shouldn’t be seeking development for the sake of it but be consistent with expectations of high quality developments.
A lot of people on here say things along the lines of “oh but that’s the price you pay with development. You’re going to get a few bad eggs”. I totally disagree with that mindset and believe that Adelaide deserves so much better.

It’s not that I’m anti-development but I’m pro quality.
I believe in quality design. The SAHMRI, Realm, (heck even the long defunct proposal of 20-22 Currie Street) speak to me that Adelaide has always deserved quality style for all their buildings. The type of quality style that you can look back on 50 years from now and say “that was a great example of that architecture”. I don’t understand why people are so against that and am happy for somebody to justify why they are because I’d really like to know.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#268 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Maybe the City Council and the building owner can work together and create a mural or street art of some sort, just like they did with the development on Mellor Street.

Llessur2002

#269 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:42 am

HiTouch wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:43 pm
I totally agree with morty on this but I appreciate you being diplomatic about it Ben. These developments do not look good on their own so I agree that we shouldn’t be seeking development for the sake of it but be consistent with expectations of high quality developments.
A lot of people on here say things along the lines of “oh but that’s the price you pay with development. You’re going to get a few bad eggs”. I totally disagree with that mindset and believe that Adelaide deserves so much better.

It’s not that I’m anti-development but I’m pro quality.
I believe in quality design. The SAHMRI, Realm, (heck even the long defunct proposal of 20-22 Currie Street) speak to me that Adelaide has always deserved quality style for all their buildings. The type of quality style that you can look back on 50 years from now and say “that was a great example of that architecture”. I don’t understand why people are so against that and am happy for somebody to justify why they are because I’d really like to know.
I think for me, a few things stand out:

1) It is absolutely impossible that the developer will be forced to do anything to remove or alter this building. Aside for some variation in the finish of the concrete panels, which could easily be argued is down to the lighting, weather conditions etc, the building accurately matches the renders released when the building was proposed. It has been approved by DAC and built accordingly. The petition is a complete waste of time and not worth the server space it is stored on.

2) The petition seems to be directed at ACC and Nick Xenophon, neither party involved in the planning process or in a position to demand the building be altered/demolished. Xenophon's not even an elected official at this stage, nor may he be come the election.

3) I suspect the OP's desire to have the building altered/demolished has little to do with a genuine desire to see quality architecture across the city of Adelaide, both now and into the future - more that he's put down a deposit for a city apartment and now has a problem with one of the many buildings that can be seen from the windows/balcony. I personally don't feel comfortable with someone using the forum to promote a petition for an approved building to be altered or demolished just to improve the view from his living room.

4) Whether or not this building constitutes 'quality architecture' is completely subjective and nobody can definitively rule whether this building looks good or not. As has been mentioned before, in ten years' time when the area is far more built up than this I think this building will contribute positively to our skyline and offer a point of difference to the glass boxes which are likely to rise around it. It is far too soon to judge the design merits of this building.

Just my opinions of course. I think it's great that Morty has taken an interest in this building, I just think tying up the forum with multiple posts about a misguided petition is not useful. Hopefully he will stay and contribute to the discussion about future buildings and infrastructure, although less from a buyer's perspective and more for the love of seeing Adelaide grow and prosper :)

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#270 Post by HiTouch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:54 am

Just my opinions of course. I think it's great that Morty has taken an interest in this building, I just think tying up the forum with multiple posts about a misguided petition is not useful. Hopefully he will stay and contribute to the discussion about future buildings and infrastructure, although less from a buyer's perspective and more for the love of seeing Adelaide grow and prosper :)
Thanks for your comment Llessur, Just to clarify, I totally agree with Morty's sentiment but I don't agree that a petition is the way to go.

I would lean toward Norman's position which is to propose to decorate it or paint the development but even that is extreme in people's eyes. What I would be for is a little more scrutiny with design. In every city I've lived in, developers are meant to liaise and negotiate with council's about design, it's not uncommon for developer's designs to be knocked back and forth due to design, layout, etc in other places but it seems like the first proposal either gets through every time and if it doesn't get through, then the developer "cheapens" the proposal's quality, makes it a box, or takes out a whole side and makes it a blank wall. There seems to be a lack of creative edge on the DAC.