[U/C] 295-297 Pirie Street | 60m | 16 Levels | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
Blimp
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 18 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#16 Post by Blimp » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:08 pm

jk1237 wrote:Am I missing something here. An apartment situated over the road from green parklands, a 5 min walk to Rundle St East, a 7 min walk to Hutt St cafes, and people are saying that its in a iffy spot. WTF. By the way, the homeless are spread throughout the city. Ive walked past this site many times at night and have never ever felt unsafe. I would live in this spot in a heartbeat
I agree. If this spot is considered iffy than the whole CBD can me marked down as iffy :lol:

RoiMartel
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 am
Been thanked: 6 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#17 Post by RoiMartel » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:45 pm

jk1237 wrote:Am I missing something here. An apartment situated over the road from green parklands, a 5 min walk to Rundle St East, a 7 min walk to Hutt St cafes, and people are saying that its in a iffy spot. WTF. By the way, the homeless are spread throughout the city. Ive walked past this site many times at night and have never ever felt unsafe. I would live in this spot in a heartbeat
Cool your jets mate!!!! I'm a major fan of this development and the East End also. It's just that that end of Pirie st. is very unattractive in my eyes. This development will be surrounded by 'checkmates', the salvo's, an ugly red cross building, a car yard and across the street a giant tele-communications tower. And what has your comment about homeless and feeling safe have to do with things? I feel safe where ever I live. It's not the issue. Not mine atleast.

I love the East End, and think that it has way more to offer than living in the West End or any other part of the CBD, but I just think that this little part of Pirie Street is, IMO ugly. In time it will change, but it will take awhile. Flinders, Wakefield and Hutt street are much better streets. Purely aesthetically speaking. Nothing to do with feeling safe and the homeless that you seem to be hung up on.

Also, you all seem to be hung up on the word Iffy. Is Tacky more to your liking
Last edited by RoiMartel on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia
Has thanked: 333 times
Been thanked: 151 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#18 Post by Algernon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Looks okay on the Eastern side, atreet side is a 61m tall coma though.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5417
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 320 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#19 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:44 pm

slenderman wrote: Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone's aware, but it looks like there's a Facebook group that wants to save the existing buildings. They are nice buildings and it would be a bit sad to see them go IMO.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... %22R%22%7D

I flicked through the PDFs using good old Ctrl+F, but there didn't seem to be any comments about the architectural merit of the buildings to be demolished (not even any comments that those buildings have little/no merit), it just mentioned the heritage in the surrounds. I admit I might not have looked properly though.
That Facebook page is aimed at showcasing and saving South Australian history, rather than this particular site. The current building does infact have a bit of interesting history to it, however it's still a very ordinary building and the positives of this development far out weigh it.
RoiMartel wrote:Cool your jets mate!!!! I'm a major fan of this development and the East End also. It's just that that end of Pirie st. is very unattractive in my eyes. This development will be surrounded by 'checkmates', the salvo's, an ugly red cross building, a car yard and across the street a giant tele-communications tower.
I agree it's a pretty underwhelming and ugly part of the city, however beyond Checkmates and the Salvos you have the East End, Hutt Street and Rymill Park all in close walking distance. We are already seeing some positive changes in the area with the Tivoli Hotel upgrade, One Adelaide and smaller low rise developments.

At the end of the day, it's up to the buyers if this development goes ahead. It's pretty decent looking with no blank walls, so it gets my tick of approval.

User avatar
mshagg
Legendary Member!
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 129 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#20 Post by mshagg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:43 pm

A development like this, if well executed, could well be a catalyst for the block to see some retail/service businesses move in.

That said I don't subscribe to the idea that these buildings need to be surrounded only by cafes and independent supermarkets. If you look down your nose at strip clubs and support services then clearly city living isn't for you. Diversity is a good thing.

RoiMartel
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 am
Been thanked: 6 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#21 Post by RoiMartel » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:52 am

mshagg wrote:A development like this, if well executed, could well be a catalyst for the block to see some retail/service businesses move in.

That said I don't subscribe to the idea that these buildings need to be surrounded only by cafes and independent supermarkets. If you look down your nose at strip clubs and support services then clearly city living isn't for you. Diversity is a good thing.
Listen miss hagg. Who are you to dictate where a person should or shouldn't live. I've lived in 4 different cities, in 3 different countries and yes I lived centrally in apartments in all of them. You can't get more diverse than my life and the places I've lived in. Maybe that's why I have a liking for certain areas/buildings and a disdain for others. And yes diversity is a good thing, but how can living next to a sex club be positive diversity?
Funny though how you all seem to stick up for checkmates. Vested interest maybe

Also; why so much flack for describing a little block of Pirie street as being unattractive. You can't all be that sensitive/precious

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6760
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 1110 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#22 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:09 am

I think you guys may have forgotten or maybe unaware checkmates is relocating to Grote street near Central Adelaide apartment development actually so that site is also like to be redeveloped.

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3139
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 619 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#23 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:30 am

Ben wrote:I think you guys may have forgotten or maybe unaware checkmates is relocating to Grote street near Central Adelaide apartment development actually so that site is also like to be redeveloped.
Moving diagonally across the city? Must be a bishop.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6760
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 1110 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#24 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:09 am

Full stream ahead.
Type: Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/227/2016
Lodgement Date: 14/04/2016
Location: : Undertake alterations to existing building to change the use from office to showroom, internal fitout and display suite including minor refurbishment to existing facade.

RoiMartel
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 am
Been thanked: 6 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#25 Post by RoiMartel » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:52 pm

Ben wrote:Full stream ahead.
Type: Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/227/2016
Lodgement Date: 14/04/2016
Location: : Undertake alterations to existing building to change the use from office to showroom, internal fitout and display suite including minor refurbishment to existing facade.
Last edited by RoiMartel on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6760
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 1110 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#26 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:02 pm

RoiMartel wrote:
Ben wrote:Full stream ahead.
Type: Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/227/2016
Lodgement Date: 14/04/2016
Location: : Undertake alterations to existing building to change the use from office to showroom, internal fitout and display suite including minor refurbishment to existing facade.
Ben you seem to be a man in the know. Why is it that this http://dpti.sa.gov.au/planning/adelaide ... ougham.pdf comes up blank on the http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/planning/adelaide_investment site? Would be interesting to see the floor plans.
No idea sorry. maybe register for info in their website if you're interested.

http://www.thebrougham.com.au/

CDJ
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 119 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#27 Post by CDJ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:08 pm

There's a 24-storey building being proposed in very close proximity to this one.
Last edited by CDJ on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mshagg
Legendary Member!
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 129 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#28 Post by mshagg » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:25 pm

RoiMartel wrote:
Listen miss hagg. Who are you to dictate where a person should or shouldn't live. I've lived in 4 different cities, in 3 different countries and yes I lived centrally in apartments in all of them. You can't get more diverse than my life and the places I've lived in. Maybe that's why I have a liking for certain areas/buildings and a disdain for others. And yes diversity is a good thing, but how can living next to a sex club be positive diversity?
Funny though how you all seem to stick up for checkmates. Vested interest maybe

Also; why so much flack for describing a little block of Pirie street as being unattractive. You can't all be that sensitive/precious
I assure you no offence was intended, nor was my post aimed at anyone in particular. At the end of the day, it's the CBD and there's only so far you can get away from the "sex clubs", support services or whatever else people might consider undesirable. There might even be a noisy live music venue or two.

Criticising the aesthetics of the area seems like a bit of a feedback loop - surely plonking 150 apartments there (including an "affordable" component) provides the catalyst for a facelift in terms of the businesses that operate and the manner in which they present themselves. Build it and they will come.

That all being said, I think we agree more than we disagree - this is a solid looking proposal, which is nicely placed between the burgeoning Flinders St precinct and the well-established east end.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6760
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 1110 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#29 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:31 pm

CDJ wrote:There's a 24-storey building being proposed in very close proximity to this one, although doesn't seem to have made it onto the DAC or DPTI websites yet. From what I've been advised it is close to achieving approval. This part of the city is about to get a lot taller.
Where abouts? All applications have been reported here maybe its in pre lodgement with the DAC. Unless you mean the 25 level one almost behind this on Flinders street - One Adelaide?

User avatar
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5138
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Torrens Park
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 130 times

[U/C] Re: 295-297 Pirie Street | 61m | 16 Levels | Apartments

#30 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Nathan wrote:
Ben wrote:I think you guys may have forgotten or maybe unaware checkmates is relocating to Grote street near Central Adelaide apartment development actually so that site is also like to be redeveloped.
Moving diagonally across the city? Must be a bishop.
Comment of the month. Love it...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 14 guests