[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mpol
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Frome Central | retail/hotel/student | towers:134/75m &

#196 Post by Mpol » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:14 am

Love the update, and I really hope this does get approved. Great addition to our skyline.
Not a fan of the student accommodation but hey, if we can get the main tower out of this, then great.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#197 Post by Dvious » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:17 am

That podium is 10x better than before!

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#198 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:11 pm

I agree it looks so much better now. I really don't mind the student accommodation building now tbh.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#199 Post by slenderman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:36 pm

timtam20292 wrote:I agree it looks so much better now. I really don't mind the student accommodation building now tbh.
I personally still hate it. It looks like another Globe Apartments with some polka dots thrown in. The northern wall also looks really ugly, but they don't show that in the renders even though it will be clearly visible from North Terrace. And they're tearing down the Gerard and Goodman building, which would make a really neat old urban laneway filler if it got a bit of tender loving care.

But I'm glad they got rid of that weird concrete fortification on the taller building's podium, it does look a lot better now, though I think it should be a bit shorter, at least in the southern part, given the heritage Rundle Street streetscape to the south which the podium towers over. It looks like they're trying to align it with the scale of North Terrace and the Freemason Building rather than the scale of Rundle Street. This isn't a KWS South/Echelon situation; there's clearly an established heritage character to this area that should be preserved if possible.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#200 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:08 pm

slenderman wrote:
timtam20292 wrote:I agree it looks so much better now. I really don't mind the student accommodation building now tbh.
I personally still hate it. It looks like another Globe Apartments with some polka dots thrown in. The northern wall also looks really ugly, but they don't show that in the renders even though it will be clearly visible from North Terrace. And they're tearing down the Gerard and Goodman building, which would make a really neat old urban laneway filler if it got a bit of tender loving care.

But I'm glad they got rid of that weird concrete fortification on the taller building's podium, it does look a lot better now, though I think it should be a bit shorter, at least in the southern part, given the heritage Rundle Street streetscape to the south which the podium towers over. It looks like they're trying to align it with the scale of North Terrace and the Freemason Building rather than the scale of Rundle Street. This isn't a KWS South/Echelon situation; there's clearly an established heritage character to this area that should be preserved if possible.
Samaras originally tried to buy the church on the corner of North Terrace and Frome Street which is probably why the podium was scaled to the height of the Freemason Building. I believe he was going to build over the laneway that separates this site from the church site on the corner.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#201 Post by crawf » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:15 pm

The podium looks much better now.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#202 Post by monotonehell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:53 pm

I would like to see some hole in the wall tenancies opening into the extended Tavistock Lane through to Synagogue place. The render makes it look like a featureless tunnel. That's assuming tenants could be found.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jim_c500
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#203 Post by jim_c500 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:53 am

The student building won't win any design awards, that's for sure, but the refinements for the main tower look much better. All things considered, I'd rather have the ugly student building and the main tower than none of them.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#204 Post by Mpol » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:49 pm

I wouldn't mind the student building if they manage to paint it in an interesting manner. The circular windows are cute, and with the right paint job, with say various colours (done well) it would actually be quite fun. Our skyline lacks colour and a simple building like this would be a great way to add to that. I don't want a rainbow of colours, just something different.

See below link for inspiration:
https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl ... 5&biw=1517

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#205 Post by skyliner » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:59 pm

MUCH better!! Isn't that podium similar in height and mass to the one all the current noise is all about at Echelon. Interesting that...given the building heights allowed along KWS.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#206 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 pm

Rhino Room may move to Pirie St spot

Sam Kelton, The Advertiser
December 7, 2016 7:31pm

THE owners of the comedy club The Rhino Room could have the last laugh with a possible new CBD venue.

The future of the Rhino Room — along with sibling venues Urban Cow Studio and The Howling Owl — looked bleak, making way for Adelaide’s tallest building.

Now, the owners have submitted a development application to Adelaide City Council at level one at 131 Pirie St, above The Organik Store and Cafe.

But the futures of The Urban Cow Studio and The Howling Owl remain less certain when the Frome St venues get their marching orders in May.

Urban Cow studio was established in 1993, followed by comedy venue Rhino Room in 1998 and Howling Owl cafe and bar in 2012.

When contacted by The Advertiser about the new premises, owner Mick Krieg said that it was one of many potential sites Rhino Room is looking at.

“It’s not definite and we are looking at a number of venues including one in the west end of the city,” he said.

“We’ll know soon but it (Pirie St) is certainly an option we are looking at as we would like to stay down the east end of the city, there’s a bit of a hub happening down there which is great.”

Kyren Group bought the Rhino Room’s Frome St site — which includes the Gerard & Goodman building, a multistorey carpark and Eckersley’s building, home to Eckersley’s Art & Craft — from Adelaide University last year for $27 million.

The hotel and apartment complex, if approved could be the tallest building in Adelaide at an estimated 140m, nudging out Westpac House at 31 storeys and 132m.

The Frome St development, which is currently before the Development Assessment Commission features outdoor entertaining areas, an outdoor pool more than 10 floors up and luxury penthouses at the top.

The Rhino Room have since launched a crowd-funding campaign to rally support and funding for a new location with some of the country’s top comedians throwing support behind the cause.

A decision to approve the Rhino Room’s application to develop the level-one property at Pirie Street and Hyde Street will come before council next Tuesday.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 2b788aa587

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#207 Post by SRW » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:32 pm

Not a bad spot. Rhino Room there could help anchor/catalyse Hyde Street's emergence as the next hip laneway.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#208 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:29 am

The problem with this spot and propably any other low rent place it that there has already been a proposal to develop this site and its only a matter of time before it happens again and there will be uproar again... :roll:

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#209 Post by Pikey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:42 am

Ben wrote:The problem with this spot and propably any other low rent place it that there has already been a proposal to develop this site and its only a matter of time before it happens again and there will be uproar again... :roll:
And this site is slated for redevelopment in 12 months time...
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Frome Central | Retail/Hotel/Student | Towers:134/75m &

#210 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:39 am

^That's what I thought when I read that article. Though it seems the owners are looking at a variety of different options
When contacted by The Advertiser about the new premises, owner Mick Krieg said that it was one of many potential sites Rhino Room is looking at.

“It’s not definite and we are looking at a number of venues including one in the west end of the city,” he said.