[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Jaymz
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Adelaidean | 11 Frome Street | 135m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use | New tallest

#736 Post by Jaymz » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Ahhhh, the ol' MFP ☝ I'm old enough to remember all the hype around this and how much of a big deal it was..... but I still to this day have no idea what it was meant to be! :lol: I don't think anyone really does.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: Adelaidean | 11 Frome Street | 135m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use | New tallest

#737 Post by Ben » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:13 am

Kyren withdraw this amendment. Not sure what the outcome is if there is one.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#738 Post by Plasmatron » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:07 am

This one is going up pretty quickly, folks! (6/10/1028)

Adelaidean-Oct2018-1.jpg
Adelaidean-Oct2018-1.jpg (918.9 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#739 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Algernon wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:50 pm
SBD wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:05 am
rev wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:18 pm

South Aussies love to complain about the east coast bagging SA and putting it down as a big country town, but when it comes to developments and change that will go a long way towards changing those negative perceptions so many are opposed.

Maybe the solution is to leave Adelaide as it is, downsize the metro area footprint even, and do what some other countries have done, even South Korea, and that is build a new city from the ground up. A smart city of the future.
It seems we've tried that a number of times, with varied success:
  • 1950s Elizabeth
  • 1970s Monarto
  • 1990s Mawson Lakes / MFP
Perhaps we are due to do the next one - is it the revival of Port Adelaide or Whyalla?

Elizabeth worked immediately due to high immigration and readily available employment. It went through a slump later as the meaning and use of public housing changed, and the area had lots of it.

I was a bit too young to remember what happened that Monarto never took off.

Mawson Lakes has taken a long time, but seems to be reaching many of the goals now that the fanfare has well and truly passed.

Whyalla could receive a revival if Sanjeev Gupta's visions work and can be leveraged by the Government to attract even more people. A new school is a part of that.
Monarto was abandoned because it was based upon population projections that never came to fruition. It never should have been on the cards - Adelaide was experiencing population growth which was boom level for SA but basically similar to Melbourne's growth rate today - strong but not enough to get into a panic and start new cities.

Mawson Lakes and MFP are the same location but not really related. The basis of MFP was to lure japanese corporations to the area. They were really keen on it, but it turned out there were some misaligned expectations. SA thought it was getting a modern technology focused city, the envy of the developed world. The investors legit wanted to build a resort+golf course. Mawson Lakes later emerged on the back of federal development grants. Somewhat embarrassingly, SA put the cash toward Mawson Lakes. WA put it toward a new rail system. Game, set, match WA.
The key reason Monarto was abandoned was because of its location - it was too far from Adelaide to viably act as a satellite city, and too close to Murray Bridge to complement that location. Additionally, there was a lack of fresh water available to serve the population required to in turn make the site viable.

Mawson Lakes was never intended to be part of the MFP. The true site in mind was the Cheetham Salt Pans, along with Torrens Island, Gillman and Pelican Point.

But wow, we've gone off-topic. I didn't want to see any height taken off this project. It's all well and good to point out that 'it's just a bit of height'; 'people like that Adelaide's skyline is unlike that of other cities'; but we need to progress our reputation a little. I'm a bit over the whole 'set your clocks back thirty years' joke. A city's skyline is certainly a visible sign of progress - and we're going to need whatever signs of progress we can get under what's going to be a very unremarkable term of Liberal rule.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#740 Post by SBD » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:34 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:29 pm
Mawson Lakes was never intended to be part of the MFP. The true site in mind was the Cheetham Salt Pans, along with Torrens Island, Gillman and Pelican Point.

But wow, we've gone off-topic. I didn't want to see any height taken off this project. It's all well and good to point out that 'it's just a bit of height'; 'people like that Adelaide's skyline is unlike that of other cities'; but we need to progress our reputation a little. I'm a bit over the whole 'set your clocks back thirty years' joke. A city's skyline is certainly a visible sign of progress - and we're going to need whatever signs of progress we can get under what's going to be a very unremarkable term of Liberal rule.
This conversation should probably continue over at "the pub".

I'd rather "unremarkable" than "lurching from one disaster to the next". We seem to be getting some needed infrastructure upgrades outside of the metro area, and we still have the intention to complete the north-south motorway. Building tall buildings is not the government's responsibility and I haven't heard any intention to limit anyone else from doing so if they wish.

I've also noticed there seems to be a lot of dirt getting spread out on the salt pans, so maybe the MFP is coming anyway.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#741 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Some shots from today showing how the development is starting to appear from various vantage points around the city:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#742 Post by Pikey » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Great shots!

The facade will make or break this one. Being such a simple design high quality glazing will make it's presence. If it's cheap high transparency glass, we'll have a tapestry of curtains for our tallest tower...

Fingers crossed!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#743 Post by Jaymz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Can anyone put me at ease with a pic of a building as bad as Dwell in the other 4 major cities in Oz?

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#744 Post by Dvious » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:19 pm

That was built in the last 5 years.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#745 Post by how good is he » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 am

I agree this is disgraceful. Cant think of any new ones that bad in Australia..we may need to look at third world countries! Who do you think should bare the blame - the developer, the architect, those that approved it or all of the above?

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#746 Post by HiTouch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 am

how good is he wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 am
I agree this is disgraceful. Cant think of any new ones that bad in Australia..we may need to look at third world countries! Who do you think should bare the blame - the developer, the architect, those that approved it or all of the above?
All of the above. It's presence has damaged the prestige of Rundle Street. It makes Rundle Street look cold and sad. The only design that is worse than this is the chaotic and out of shape nature of Waymouth's moudly swiss cheese.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#747 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:53 am

And that we have both in our city is such a disgrace. So sad to see this level of mediocrity (that’s being so generous here) in our latest boom. Ffs

noted
High Rise Poster!

#748 Post by noted » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I really don't think the Swiss Cheese building is that bad. For everyone I speak to who hates it, I can usually find someone else who quite likes it. Dwell on the other hand is definitely a disgrace. It only pisses me off even more knowing that they destroyed an old factory with so much history and potential for redevelopment to make way for it.

Blame who you like, but the bottom line is architects and developers would not be able to get away with this sort of thing if we had an approval process and body that promoted basic design principles and didn't allow this sort of crap. Whoever signed off on it needs a rocket put up them.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#749 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:17 pm

how good is he wrote:
There has been plenty of trash built in the other major cities....

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#750 Post by HiTouch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:55 pm

crawf wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:17 pm
how good is he wrote:
There has been plenty of trash built in the other major cities....
No there hasn't ever Crawf. All the other cities look really really really ridiculously good looking, no blemish to be seen and we are plain ugly.
Woops, my finger slipped. Image