[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Frome Central | 134m & 75m | 36 & 21 Levels

#181 Post by Spurdo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:51 am

Can the mods please change the thread name from 11-27 Frome Street to Frome Central as according to the Kyren Group website that will be the name of this project.

noted
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | 134m & 75m | 36 & 21 Levels

#182 Post by noted » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:14 am

mshagg wrote:The student accommodation building is quite the unsightly beast. And it's "Stage 1", which makes me nervous, as a lot can happen to a developer before "stage 2" actually goes ahead, leaving you with an ugly student block and a vacant site.
Yep spot on, my concerns exactly. I would have hoped they could have come up with something a lot better than that to replace the G&G building. At least it is tucked away down a laneway and hidden from street level, but even so it would still be far too prominent without stage 2.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | 134m & 75m | 36 & 21 Levels

#183 Post by Nathan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:51 am

I don't mind the student building. It'll play well the Globe student apartments opposite it. Wish they could retain some of the G&G building though. The unpainted concrete and the worn brick would have had potential for neat integration and would give the entire building a bit of character from day one. Unfortunately it seems the lane going through to Synagogue Pl is a priority for the developers.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Frome Central | retail/hotel/student | towers:134/75m &

#184 Post by Dazzeland » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Does anybody know who the luxury hotel tenant is for this one?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#185 Post by monotonehell » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:26 am

The developers have plonked a couple of transportable offices in the space next to the carpark ramps a week or so ago. Looks like they are serious about getting started.

The Howling Owl guys tell me that they have found new premises. But I'm not allowed to say where yet, just "nearby". They also told me the date when they had to get out by, which I completely forgot. :oops:

(I haven't spoken to anyone from Ekersleys, Rhino Room or Urban Cow.)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Patrick_27

#186 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:05 am

monotonehell wrote:The Howling Owl guys tell me that they have found new premises. But I'm not allowed to say where yet, just "nearby". They also told me the date when they had to get out by, which I completely forgot. :oops:

Howling Owl, Rhino Room and Urban Cow are all owned by the same person. Rhino Room hasn't got a new home yet and it's unlikely that they'll have somewhere before they close. Whereas Howling Owl and Urban Cow will likely move into the new location together. Close date is in May of next year. Eckersley's were meant to be closing in December but it looks more likely that they'll trade through until January. I'm not sure where Mick is moving Howling Owl but last I checked, he'd been offered a spot in one of the two vacant shopfronts in Samaras' property across Frome Street. Can't think of anywhere nearby that is vacant...

CamCog
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#187 Post by CamCog » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:30 am

monotonehell wrote:The developers have plonked a couple of transportable offices in the space next to the carpark ramps a week or so ago. Looks like they are serious about getting started.

The Howling Owl guys tell me that they have found new premises. But I'm not allowed to say where yet, just "nearby". They also told me the date when they had to get out by, which I completely forgot. :oops:

I was walking down KWS the other day and I saw a vacant shop that had a sign outside saying: "Ekersleys, Coming Soon" so they definitely got a new premises.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#188 Post by SRW » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:30 am

There are vacancies on both Vardon and Ebenezer that could accommodate Howling Owl (and potentially also Urban Cow).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#189 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:10 am

SRW wrote:There are vacancies on both Vardon and Ebenezer that could accommodate Howling Owl (and potentially also Urban Cow).
Where's the vacancy on Vardon? Not sure Maras would want Howling Owl on Ebenezer - IIRC he has said there's enough F&B offerings on that stretch now.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#190 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:28 pm

CamCog wrote:
monotonehell wrote:The developers have plonked a couple of transportable offices in the space next to the carpark ramps a week or so ago. Looks like they are serious about getting started.

I was walking down KWS the other day and I saw a vacant shop that had a sign outside saying: "Ekersleys, Coming Soon" so they definitely got a new premises.
Saw it this morning. The ground floor of the former tourist info centre / Beyond Bank(?).... next to the NAB building.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#191 Post by monotonehell » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:29 pm

crawf wrote:Saw it this morning. The ground floor of the former tourist info centre / Beyond Bank(?).... next to the NAB building.
Wow - That seems a high-rent location for an arts supplies place. :shock:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Patrick_27

#192 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:52 pm

monotonehell wrote:
crawf wrote:Saw it this morning. The ground floor of the former tourist info centre / Beyond Bank(?).... next to the NAB building.
Considering they're one of only two in the CBD and there are a lot of design students, they'd have a pretty big turnover.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#193 Post by ml69 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:55 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Considering they're one of only two in the CBD and there are a lot of design students, they'd have a pretty big turnover.
KW Street is a pretty good location for it actually, halfway between Uni SA and University of Adelaide campuses.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#194 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:51 am

The podium has been revised and now is expected to gain approval at Thursday's meeting.

A lot of new renders here:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#195 Post by SRW » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:08 am

A big improvement in so far as it gives the building a visual coherency lacking in the first design. If it turns out like these renders, given the boost of residents and visitors it'll accommodate in the East End, I'll be happy. What's the timeline for development?
Keep Adelaide Weird