[VIS] University of Adelaide Redevelopment (Main Campus)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[VIS] University of Adelaide Redevelopment (Main Campus)

#1 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:29 pm

This deserves it's own thread. Going be some massive changes in years to come!

As mentioned recently by some forum members, the unsightly Napier and Ligertwood buildings will be demolished and replaced with newer structures. In surprising news though, a 24 storey building is planned for the corner of North Tce and Pulteney St which will fit in nicely with the nearby Frome St tower and Eclipse.
Adelaide University masterplan to overhaul North Tce campus
Paul Starick, Chief reporter, The Advertiser

A HISTORIC transformation of Adelaide’s North Tce — including a 24-storey tower and a striking modern “gateway” building — is planned by Adelaide University in a 20-year blueprint to be unveiled on Thursday.

In a bid to reinvent the 142-year-old campus, a new multistorey entrance building, including an underground conference centre, is proposed at Pulteney St’s northern end.

Adelaide University vice-chancellor Warren Bebbington told The Advertiser the North Tce campus plans capitalised on the $55 million East End tram extension, likely to include a stop near the proposed buildings.

The unfunded masterplan, which also includes upgrades for the Roseworthy and Waite campuses, is yet to be fully costed but is likely to involve expenditure beyond $1 billion.

Professor Bebbington said the first stage would involve the gateway building and 24-storey tower, on the south-eastern intersection of North Tce and Pulteney St, which would house business, law and economics schools. A 600-bed student accommodation tower is also planned in a revamp of the Schulz building off Kintore Ave.

“The new plan will transform the university’s physical presence over the coming decades,” Professor Bebbington writes in the masterplan.

“It provides a spectacular new entrance and central amenities at North Tce, together with new facilities for many schools and greatly enhanced campus amenities for students. There’s 25,000 students now and the campus was designed for less than half that.”

The gateway building would replace the 1960s Napier and Ligertwood buildings, to the east of the university’s landmark Bonython Hall.

This represents generational change to that section of North Tce given the overwhelming number of heritage buildings on the boulevard’s northern side.

Professor Bebbington said the masterplan was the next stage of development after the $246 million Adelaide Health and Medical Sciences Building in the city’s West End — due to open next year and the largest capital works project in the university’s history.

The university would have to fund the entrance building but partners, such as superannuation funds and private developers, would be sought for the 24-storey tower and student accommodation building.

The entrance building would include a new arts precinct, showcasing music and creative arts, while vehicle entrances would be relocated to Frome Rd and lead into an underground carpark.

The carpark works would enable the campus to be effectively a single level, removing the need for students and staff to traverse relatively steep stairs. The Napier Building that the new “gateway” would replace had concrete cancer, Professor Bebbington said, and would have to be demolished in years to come.

The gateway building also would enable the university to display a significant art collection, including hundreds of pieces now kept in storage.

The university last month sold the 4ha Thebarton campus to a group of private investors for a sum said to be in the low-to-mid $20 million range.

Professor Bebbington said the university council had given in-principle approval to the masterplan but the next step would involve developing business cases and feasibility studies for the key projects. However, the masterplan was not based upon a significant expansion of student numbers, given relatively flat forecasts for SA school leaver numbers and relatively slow growth in international student ranks for at least the next seven years.

Projects at the other campuses include a grand tree-lined ring road around Roseworthy’s historic centrepiece building and recasting the layout and services at Waite. The masterplan does not extend to the multimillion-dollar redevelopment of the old RAH site.

The free East End tram shuttle was announced in July, when Professor Bebbington said it would provide the North Tce campus’s 27,000 staff and students an environmentally responsible way to get to university.

It also will link more than 2000 staff and students at the West End building.

Video - including the 24-storey building
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 124df45576

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: University of Adelaide Redevelopment (North Tce Campus)

#2 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:59 pm

Video link w/out needing subscriber access: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/video/id- ... ----------

Interestingly, the existing building on the SE corner of Pulteney St/North Tce is staying. The new building wraps around the northern and eastern sides of it, replacing just the low-rise portion.

Also spotted in the video - eventual plans to demolish and replace their medical buildings on the eastern side of Frome St. I'd be surprised if the south building isn't heritage listing, and believe the north building is worthy of preservation as well.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Spurdo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:03 am

Literally perfect

My only problem is that the tower looks to be only 90 metres :D

(Edit. I did some quick measurements one the surrounding buildings and it appears that the tower is at somewhere over 100 metres)
Last edited by Spurdo on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:17 am

Quick screen grabs

*Notice - Frome St Tower, Eclipse and Urban Nest*

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Mpol » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:47 am

Wonderful, this will only add to the vibrancy of North Terrace and to the great level of architecture seen in a lot of the newer medical/education projects in the city.

Llessur2002

#6 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:19 am

A few more from the Uni's website:

And a slightly old (May) 57 minute presentation for your enjoyment:

noted
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by noted » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:43 am

Would be great to see some new development, and for some of those uglier buildings to go. My only complaint is they aren't bulldozing the Schultz building entirely, but hopefully the facelift will be good enough to make it completely unrecognisable.

PeFe

#8 Post by PeFe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:56 am

I don't understand why the university is keeping the building on the south east corner of Pulteney St/.North Tce.
I would demolish it and totally start again on that site.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by phenom » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:50 am

PeFe wrote:I don't understand why the university is keeping the building on the south east corner of Pulteney St/.North Tce.
I would demolish it and totally start again on that site.
As ugly as that building is, I believe they spent a lot of money refurbishing it (and labelling it Nexus 10) which is probably why they are keen on keeping it - not to mention it probably helps them manage their accomodation situation better by keeping it while they build the others.

But yeah - that building (and the 'plaza' it sits on) was horrendous ~20 years ago and isn't much better today...

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by thecityguy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Can't fault those renders!! If only this same standard of architecture could be replicated throughout other parts of the city. Interesting that the building on the corner of pultney appears to have a curved metal backing...a much more interesting alternative to the standard blank concrete wall we are used to seeing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Mpol » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:51 pm

It would be great if this could then make way for Uni SA to really re-develop their City West campus, especially the North Terrace side. I have heard there are further plans, and I love what they have done with the new additions to that campus. But lets be honest. The red brick, yellow finishing are beyond dated and tacky.

Would really lift North Terrace and hopefully make way for better projects that aren't tacky student accom.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Splashmo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Interesting to see a lot of those new low-rise buildings on the campus too - the white boxes with the grassy roofs. Quite a few changes coming if they can afford it.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by floplo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Pikey » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Splashmo wrote:Interesting to see a lot of those new low-rise buildings on the campus too - the white boxes with the grassy roofs. Quite a few changes coming if they can afford it.

I think they are placing models for future development.

Simply, I think this is the single most spectacular proposal design wise Adelaide has ever had. Ultra modern, yet sympathetic to the adjacent heritage buildings. Here's hoping it comes to fruition.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Mants
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Mants » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:42 pm

This is a certainly a bold proposal! Obviously the architects have understood that the design of the main building is paramount to the aesthetic of North Terrace and have created something quite iconic. Yet it still fits in well with the surrounding streetscape! I love how the buildings seem to float and move outwards towards the plaza. I personally think that the design of the latest buildings at the North Terrace camps have left a lot to be desired. Ingkarni Wardli and The Braggs were both quite modest in their exterior design, whereas this proposal (and the med school too) seem to have turned over a new page in brilliant architecture for the University.