[U/C] Adelaide Botanic High School | Frome Road

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: New Adelaide High School Campus

#16 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
mshagg wrote:There's what, 50,000 students at Uni of Adelaide and UniSA? Perhaps we should build underground car parks for them and their faculties as well?
If you're going to try and take down another person's argument, at-least get your facts straight. There are roughly 18,000 students spread across the city's three major university campuses, all of which have cheap parking available to students and staff. There could be much more provided, but my point is they at-least have some parking available on campus. Three car-parks for a school of 1,200+ people is a complete fuck-up. Just imagine the hell this part of the city is going to experience on a regular weekday when you have university students, high school students, staff and office workers trying to find parking. Then add all of the people who will be visiting the old RAH site with whatever they decide to build on there. The worst part of this, is that they expect in a population of 1,200 students that there is only going to be a need for two disabled parking spots. Oh, and where are parents (legally) meant to drop their children off?
It might seem by my comments that I am against this proposal, I most certainly am not. Hell, I don't even use a car, I ride a bike or take public transport wherever I go. But for once I can see the complete oversight for motorists. I'll admit, there will be a lot of people who ride bikes, catch PT, walk or get dropped off, but you can't ignore the fact that there is a need for more than three parking spaces. Even if it were 15 (seven disabled, eight for visitors) that would be a marked improvement.

Nathan

#17 Post by Nathan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:33 pm

If visitors are a concern, there is street parking on Frome Rd, Victoria Dr and Plane Tree Dr (inc disabled parking).

metro
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by metro » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:09 am

I was watching this doco recently.. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1701976/

and this quote from the Mayor of Bogota made me think of this school and its 3 parking spaces:

"people imagine that carparking is a fundamental right. In most constitutions there is usually the right to housing, education, healthcare, but I dont see a right to carparking. So if you ask me where you should park your car, the mayor should tell them, it's almost as if you're asking me where you should put your clothes or furniture, this is not a government problem".

:cheers:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:50 am

Parents make a choice where to send their kids to school. If they really want their kids to drive to school, maybe they should choose a suburban school that offers them that.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by ml69 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Norman wrote:Parents make a choice where to send their kids to school. If they really want their kids to drive to school, maybe they should choose a suburban school that offers them that.
Unless you can afford to send your child to a private school, many parents will not have that choice. Public high schools are zoned, which means that in most cases you need to attend a school within your zone. Those schools which have capacity for students from other zones are usually not very good anyway.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:24 pm

ml69 wrote:
Norman wrote:Parents make a choice where to send their kids to school. If they really want their kids to drive to school, maybe they should choose a suburban school that offers them that.
Unless you can afford to send your child to a private school, many parents will not have that choice. Public high schools are zoned, which means that in most cases you need to attend a school within your zone. Those schools which have capacity for students from other zones are usually not very good anyway.
If that's the case wouldn't the students be living close to the school then anyway?

Llessur2002

#22 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 am

Patrick_27 wrote:There are roughly 18,000 students spread across the city's three major university campuses, all of which have cheap parking available to students and staff.
The University of Adelaide has 25,000+ students at its North Terrace campus alone:

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/planning/sta ... _stats.pdf

Granted, a proportion of these will be distance-learning students and not all will need to attend campus on a daily basis but given that UniSA has a significantly higher student headcount than UoA I think 18,000 would have to be a very low estimate for all city-based uni students combined.

Staff do get discounted (but not exactly cheap) parking but there is a long waiting list (12+ months) - I don't see why there is any reason the high school staff could not be given discounted parking in a CBD carpark too. UoA students are only eligible for an After Hours parking permit at a discounted rate, other than that they're on their own.

Not sure about UniSA.

Adding a couple of hundred year 12 and 13 students plus perhaps 50-70 staff into the mix probably isn't going to tip the whole system over the edge. :2cents:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Recomended to be approved.

http://dac.sa.gov.au/agenda_and_minutes

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by Listy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Fencing went up Monday & workers with trucks & excavators have been on the site clearing vegetation around the Reid building since then.

[Shuz]

#26 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:10 am

Should probably be changed to SWP.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 am

Government projects tend to use tower cranes as it projects progress so i wouldn't be surprised if this one has one early 2017.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:33 am

[Shuz] wrote:Should probably be changed to SWP.
Not until foundations are being excavated. Or in this one's case maybe U/R for when renovation work is commenced?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:40 am

It should be at least changed to... Approved. This is longer a vision.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Adelaide High School Frome Road Campus

#30 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:48 am

crawf wrote:It should be at least changed to... Approved. This is longer a vision.
I end up splitting the topic - the [VIS] was about the original Liberal Party's dotty campus with the footbridge over West Tce.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.