[CAN] 207 Pulteney Street | 180m | 55 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
CDJ
High Rise Poster!

[CAN] Re: DOMINATOR 1 | CBD | 230m | 60 Levels | Mixed Use

#46 Post by CDJ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:28 pm

It's real and design is progressing. The developer is serious and has track record. I believe there is confusion about height. PAN-OPS will limit it to 200m absolute maximum and this is the target.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:26 pm

I'd like to see the design similar to the Adelaide Uni health building. No podium, just a very tall entrance with enormous pillars and above that, at least in one area, a sheer wall of glass. It'd look very imposing and would make a statement.

The building needs to have demand and fill up enough to justify its cost, materials and height. Any significant problems or controversies and then how much damage would be done to future talls in Adelaide.
CDJ wrote:It's real and design is progressing. The developer is serious and has track record. I believe there is confusion about height. PAN-OPS will limit it to 200m absolute maximum and this is the target.
200m will look better, especially if the skyline is taller and wider after the list of recently approved talls are built.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by slenderman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:46 pm

CDJ wrote:It's real and design is progressing. The developer is serious and has track record. I believe there is confusion about height. PAN-OPS will limit it to 200m absolute maximum and this is the target.
So you're in the know about this eh? You probably don't want to reveal too much (such as the architects if you happen to know that), but does that mean 230m is the approximate height in AHD they're aiming for? That would make more sense, since I can't find a site that would allow for a 230m building (above ground) anywhere in the CBD.

If true, that piece of information essentially limits the building's site to a bit to the east of Gawler Place and south of Pirie Street. Realistically, it's unlikely that it will be east of Hutt or south of Angas Street (even that's probably a tad generous). Given they've also specified core area and Datong's previous proposal there, I'm fairly sure that 123 Flinders is spot on for the building's location.

CDJ
High Rise Poster!

#49 Post by CDJ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:42 pm

I agree that it's probably confusion between AHD and height above ground. 230m-240m AHD corresponds to 190m-200m above ground, which is about where the PAN-OPS limit is. The developer wants to push to the limit.

I won't say more about the project at this stage, but I will challenge those who make negative comments without any basis for it. There are teams of professionals working night and day to make projects like this happen and it's disappointing to hear armchair experts proclaiming that a project is dead or unrealistic when they know literally nothing about it.

Those of us who actually work in the industry in Adelaide can see that there has been a paradigm shift and projects which once seemed unlikely are now very much a reality. Yes Adelaide stagnated between 1990-2010, but in recent years there has been great progress. Adelaide has much to be proud of and to be optimistic about. It is clearly undervalued and overseas investors are starting to see this in comparison with the overvalued east coast. There are some Adelaideans who like to cling to an outdated negative view of our city. I am confident they will be proven wrong by the progress which will unfold in the next few years.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:59 pm

CDJ wrote:I agree that it's probably confusion between AHD and height above ground. 230m-240m AHD corresponds to 190m-200m above ground, which is about where the PAN-OPS limit is. The developer wants to push to the limit.

I won't say more about the project at this stage, but I will challenge those who make negative comments without any basis for it. There are teams of professionals working night and day to make projects like this happen and it's disappointing to hear armchair experts proclaiming that a project is dead or unrealistic when they know literally nothing about it.

Those of us who actually work in the industry in Adelaide can see that there has been a paradigm shift and projects which once seemed unlikely are now very much a reality. Yes Adelaide stagnated between 1990-2010, but in recent years there has been great progress. Adelaide has much to be proud of and to be optimistic about. It is clearly undervalued and overseas investors are starting to see this in comparison with the overvalued east coast. There are some Adelaideans who like to cling to an outdated negative view of our city. I am confident they will be proven wrong by the progress which will unfold in the next few years.
Thank you for a sober and informative post. I hope to see some more contributions from you in the future. All the best with the project development.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#51 Post by rev » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 pm

CDJ wrote:I agree that it's probably confusion between AHD and height above ground. 230m-240m AHD corresponds to 190m-200m above ground, which is about where the PAN-OPS limit is. The developer wants to push to the limit.

If this gets built I'll base parachute off the top of it in the nude.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:41 pm

I hope you're well hung is all I'm saying...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#53 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:50 am

rev wrote:If this gets built I'll base parachute off the top of it in the nude.
Congrats, rev. You made it to my sig. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:15 pm

Disappointed no news has come out about today.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by timtam20292 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:59 pm

Where we expecting news about this? Didn't think we were.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by Spurdo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:19 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... d6784f7d57
JWDT website proposes 60-storey tower in Adelaide CBD
TIM WILLIAMS, Sunday Mail (SA)
9 minutes ago
A MAMMOTH 60-storey tower called “Dominator 1”, potentially 200m tall, has been proposed for the Adelaide CBD.

But is it the project that will significantly raise the ceiling of the city skyline or just pie in the sky?

The company behind the proposal is JWDT which, according to its website, is a partnership between developers Jinwei and Datong.

Datong built the Aria apartments on Gouger St and is developing the U2 apartment project on Waymouth St.

While the location of the proposed Dominator 1 has not been revealed, property records show a company named JWDT Land paid $11.6 million to buy lots 207-209 Pulteney St, at the Flinders St intersection, from Australian Datong Investment and Development in September, 2016.

JWDT Land also owns the property at 101 Grenfell St, between Wyatt and Chesser streets.

“In 2016 JWDT Group acquired a block of land in the core area of Adelaide CBD and will develop an iconic building, namely DOMINATOR 1, on the site,” the JWDT website says.

Before the Sunday Mail made inquiries, it also said: “The project will be around 230m height, 60 floors high rise building with conference center (sic), a high-end boutique hotel and city skyline apartments, it is scheduled to be officially introduced to the market in 2017 and fully launched in 2018.”

However, references to the height and number of floors have since been removed.

At 230m, the building would be almost 100m taller than Adelaide’s current tallest, Westpac House.

However the figure may be a reference to height above sea, rather than ground, level.

The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure said there was no specific height restriction in planning regulations for the section of the CBD where the two JWDT properties were but “the operation and safety requirements of Adelaide Airport constrains this allowance for height”.

Airspace studies “are undertaken to determine the maximum permissible height that any building (proponent) seeks … within that part of the CBD,” a department spokeswoman said.

When the Sunday Mail visited the JWDT office on Pulteney St, a worker who identified himself as a company consultant said the Dominator 1 concept was in “very early stages” and subject to change.

Attempts to speak with JWDT, made through Datong, were unsuccessful.

In an email, JWDT said: “Everything of our project is still under preparation. Therefore, unfortunately, we cannot reveal any details of our project.”

JWDT Land and JWDT Holdings were both registered in New South Wales in August, 2016.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by duke » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:28 pm

It has made AdelaideNow http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... d6784f7d57

Being 1st April, I thought it was a prank at first until I found this thread.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#58 Post by Brando » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Bloody Tim Williams again... :wink:

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by slenderman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi Tim. Nice to see you're still reading S-A. Been a while since the last article (at least that I've noticed) :D

A fair bit of that article appears based on discussion from this thread, particularly me asking CDJ about the building height being AHD.

But what's of interest that I didn't know is that JWDT owns 101 Grenfell Street. However, I doubt that's the site, as PANS-OPS is between 200-210m there, and I can imagine (quite rightly) a big stink being kicked up if the existing red brick heritage building on that site is torn down. Surely that all but confirms it's 123 Flinders?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by crawf » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:42 am

Interesting about 101 Grenfell.
slenderman wrote:Hi Tim. Nice to see you're still reading S-A. Been a while since the last article (at least that I've noticed) :D

A fair bit of that article appears based on discussion from this thread, particularly me asking CDJ about the building height being AHD.

But what's of interest that I didn't know is that JWDT owns 101 Grenfell Street

However, I doubt that's the site, as PANS-OPS is between 200-210m there, and I can imagine (quite rightly) a big stink being kicked up if the existing red brick heritage building on that site is torn down. Surely that all but confirms it's 123 Flinders?
101 Grenfell is primely the mid-rise concrete monstrosity behind the heritage building. It also includes a large 3 storey building at the far rear, so it's actually a very large site.

If this is potentially the site, I think it would be great. The heritage brick building would make a perfect podium / entrance to Adelaide's first 'true' skyscraper.