[VIS] Adelaide UNESCO City of Music Centre / Samuel Way Building

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
floplo
High Rise Poster!

[VIS] Adelaide UNESCO City of Music Centre / Samuel Way Building

#1 Post by floplo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:51 pm

From the Advertiser
THE city's main court building would be transformed into a 1600-seat concert hall under bold plans from the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra.

The proposal to the Adelaide City Council is part of submissions for the Central Market Arcade Development, and although the Sir Samuel Way building is not included, the State Government has requested council seek proposals for its future development. ASO managing director Vincent Ciccarello has outlined a plan for the Victoria Sq precinct to be presented to the council tonight which includes: ADAPTIVE re-use of the Sir Samuel Way Building as the Adelaide UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation) City of Music Centre.

INCORPORATING the Adelaide UNESCO City of Music Centre across multiple levels in a new, innovative "airspace" development on the Sir Samuel Way building.

The preliminary findings and plans show "the viability of multiplex functional mix of spaces and uses" could incorporate a concert hall and other gallery and performance spaces in the one building. The intention is to preserve the heritage aspects of the building, which now houses District and Supreme court rooms.

"The Centre would accommodate the widest range of commercial touring performers and events," Mr Ciccarello said in his submission.

"The hub would also house facilities for music education - classrooms, rehearsal spaces, practice rooms, labs - a recording studio; community radio station(s); the SA Music Hall of Fame; and collections of memorabilia." The incorporation of a concert hall into multiplex buildings has been achieved across the globe with the Petronas Filharmonik Hall in Kuala Lumpur, Lotte Concert Hall in Seoul and the Elbphilharmonic, Hamburg's new residential and cultural complex.

"We believe the Sir Samuel Way Building presents a unique and viable opportunity to create and integrate a new public space with Victoria Square, to make the south-western corner of the Square accessible and inviting to the public," Mr Ciccarillo said.

Initial responses from Adelaide City Council to the submission states the Government has requested that the council seek proposals for the Sir Samuel Way building as part of the expression of interest process for the Central Market Arcade redevelopment to "assist State Government in considering the future possibilities for the building".

The expression of interest for the Central Market Arcade redevelopment is anticipated to be released in June, 2017.
I believe a concert hall was also parts of the plans for the RAH redevelopment, and if that's the case then I don't see this proposal going anywhere

adelaideviewer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[VIS] Re: Adelaide UNESCO City of Music Centre / Samuel Way Buildi

#2 Post by adelaideviewer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:37 pm

You are correct floplo.
However that proposal was for an underground hall with, at least in the preliminary renders, a small door opening at North Terrace.
Perhaps this latest proposal is actually a better idea from purely a music point of view?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: Adelaide UNESCO City of Music Centre / Samuel Way Buildi

#3 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:38 pm

floplo wrote:I believe a concert hall was also parts of the plans for the RAH redevelopment, and if that's the case then I don't see this proposal going anywhere
Quite pathetic that the ASO (who would be the main tenant of any concert hall in this city) won't get a say in something that seriously impacts their future. I much prefer this concept of converting the Samuel Way Building over any attempt to build a poor quality facility on the old RAH site. And just in-case anyone wants to challenge me and my questioning of the quality for any concert hall on that site... Commercial and General want to spend $75m on building an underground concert hall... The Victorian Government spent $128m on upgrading the Hamer Hall alone and even then they got it wrong in some in some of the most vital elements. Either invest in something proper or don't invest in anything at all.