[COM] 269 North Terrace | 119m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 34 Levels | Student accommodation

#166 Post by Pikey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:45 pm

The "pinnacle" of the skyline is definitely moving East, with more and more proposals around the 80 - 135m mark either being proposed, or on their way.

Personally, I like it. Also, I think the tower that will have the biggest impact skyline wise is Luminesque. From our traditional skyline viewing perspective, it'll be a game changer. Viewing it from Light's view, it'll almost look as tall as Westpac.

As skyscraper fans, this is the most exciting time we could have hoped to experience in Adelaide's history. Let's lap it up for what it is.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#167 Post by Jaymz » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Pikey wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:45 pm
Personally, I like it. Also, I think the tower that will have the biggest impact skyline wise is Luminesque. From our traditional skyline viewing perspective, it'll be a game changer. Viewing it from Light's view, it'll almost look as tall as Westpac
Yep. Speaking purely from an aesthetics point of view, Luminesque will fill a sizeable gap in the skyline between Currie Street and North Terrace when viewed from the airport (a view I see a lot of).

These few new 100 metre + developments being built in the north east might also help to fill in that gap to some extent. Hard to say until they're completed.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#168 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:32 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:57 pm
I'm hardly the skyline police, I believe that developers should be able to build wherever the rules allow them.

BUT.... it's kinda a shame that our 4th tallest building is being built only metres from our new tallest. This building on say, Grenfell Street, would've been perfect.

A good problem I guess, but hoping it doesn't look too lopsided when completed. Hopefully though it's just the start of big change for our outdated skyline.
I'd prefer if this were moved too. Come on, we've got a huge city grid, let's show it off (without intruding on heritage areas like East Terrace). Overall though it's a minor point and I'll look more forward to this going up than not.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#169 Post by Brando » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:29 pm

Maybe some of you would be happy if the council brought back the 'pyramid' vision for the city. :wink:

Obviously within reason, any development is good for the CBD. If we start wishing this wasn't there and that was moved, we go back to where we were a few years ago and seriously damage what progress has been made.

Not long ago people were crying about the longevity of the East End with the hospital moving, now people are complaining about tall buildings going up.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#170 Post by SRW » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:35 pm

Pikey wrote:

Personally, I like it. Also, I think the tower that will have the biggest impact skyline wise is Luminesque. From our traditional skyline viewing perspective, it'll be a game changer. Viewing it from Light's view, it'll almost look as tall as Westpac.
Agreed. It'll be transformational from street level too; Currie Street rapidly falls away from city to country feel the further west you get.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#171 Post by Brando » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:42 pm

Pikey wrote:

Personally, I like it. Also, I think the tower that will have the biggest impact skyline wise is Luminesque.
Out of all of them, this has to be the one for me that I am most excited about.

Maybe it's our previous let downs with Currie St .

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#172 Post by ynotsfables » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Brando wrote:
Pikey wrote:

Personally, I like it. Also, I think the tower that will have the biggest impact skyline wise is Luminesque.
Out of all of them, this has to be the one for me that I am most excited about.

Maybe it's our previous let downs with Currie St .
Building tall on our Terraces is a good look and a game changer for our skyline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#173 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:43 pm

According to adelaidenow samaras is launching legal action saying the building should’ve been classified category 3 and subsequently not approved.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#174 Post by timtam20292 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Interesting development. Hope its sorted quickly. Is anyone able to post the article?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#175 Post by Norman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Adelaidean tower developer Theo Samaras in legal action against proposed neighbouring student tower
Renato Castello, Exclusive, The Advertiser
an hour ago

THE developer of what will be Adelaide’s tallest building has launched court action claiming the public should have a say on the design of a neighbouring student tower.

Theo Samaras, who is building the 135m-tall Adelaidean hotel and apartment complex on Frome Street, claims the state’s planning authority erred in classifying a proposed 118m-tall student building on the corner of North Tce and Frome St a Category 1 development, preventing public comment on the plans.

Mr Samaras, in an application lodged with the Environment Resources and Development Court, wants an order forcing Global Student Accommodation Australia to resubmit its project as a Category 3 development — triggering the highest level of community consultation and giving opponents the right to appeal any approval.

The court application was lodged on April 9, three days before the State Commission Assessment Panel approved the $60 million tower, which would partially obscure northern views from the Adelaidean once built.

Mr Samaras — whose Adelaidean development is under development and was classified a Category 1 when approved in December 2016 — is joined in the legal action by oral and maxillofacial surgeon Dr Davor Hribar whose practice occupies 264 North Tce, to the immediate west of the proposed GSA Australia building.

In the application Botten Levinson’s George Manos states Mr Samaras became aware of SCAP’s decision to classify the project as Category 1 “on or about” March 2 upon reading the commission’s agenda item relating to the GSA Australia application.

In an outline of the grounds for a review Mr Manos said his clients did not “take issue with the description of the proposed development”.

However they argued that the Adelaide City Council’s development plan did not assign the proposed development as a Category 1 or 2 development.

“Further, the proposed development could not be regarded as involving a development that is ‘of a minor nature only’ and/or nor could it be regarded as being ‘unlikely to be the subject of reasonable objection from the owners or occupiers of land’, the application states.

“Accordingly it could not be treated as a Category 1 development.”

GSA’s lawyer James Hilditch told a directions hearing last Thursday that his client had received planning consent for the development and that they were now “prejudiced by the uncertainty these proceedings bring”.

“So my client just wants to get on with it,” he told Judge Susanne Cole, who listed the matter for a hearing on June 21.

Mr Hilditch declined to comment on the matter when contacted stating he had not been instructed by his clients to speak to the media.

GSA Australia head of real estate John Whittle and Mr Samaras declined to comment.

The GSA Australia building will require the demolition of the existing Church of Science Building, which was the subject of a failed heritage-listing bid in June 2016.

Mr Samaras has refused to say if he had sought the heritage listing.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... f3d8b96770

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#176 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Hopefully this ends up in them making it slightly taller to make up for legal fees.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#177 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:45 am

What a prick... First he lodges a complaint with regards to the heritage elements of the building currently on the site, now he's complaining about the design. Surely people can see through his complaints and realise he's just whinging because it devalues his own development somewhat?

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#178 Post by Pikey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 am

He should have purchased the site when he had the chance...

Classic stalling tactics from someone who is seeing a reduced value of their development by the potential loss of northern views. Welcome to a CBD where views are a privilege, not a right.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#179 Post by Ben » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am

This was meant to have started by now. Hopefully Samaras hasn't won their fight.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#180 Post by ozisnowman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:35 pm

I would say since this is already approved its all too late it more just a delaying tactic. Delay student tower as long as possible so appartments in Adelaidean sell and no building visible during build process. After Adelaidean is built/completed buff up comes the Student accommodation no longer the developers problem if appartment purchasers in Adelaidean complain about views being blocked the developer will just point to the DAC and SA Government.