News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#481 Post by GrowAdelaide » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm

bits wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:50 am
Victoria Park has had major earth moving works done to it to make sports fields and paths. It is now nothing like a surface horse racing can be done on.

The park prior as a horse track was mostly inaccessible with railing and fences.
The only part of the ground the horse racing would maintain is the track that no one would use other than them.
Look at Morphettville or Gawler if you want examples of a field used for horse racing that would make for a terrible public park.

The track was closed because it did not make economic sense to continue using it.
Maybe in 100 years you can revisit if it would be used for horse racing but any other park would be just as likely. But in 100 years I would imagine you would be many many decades in to a complete ban on horse racing.

Chance of ever being used for horse racing again = 0%.
I remember going there to one of the last meetings held where a grand total of 14 paying customers went through the turnstiles.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#482 Post by rev » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm

GrowAdelaide wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm
bits wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:50 am
Victoria Park has had major earth moving works done to it to make sports fields and paths. It is now nothing like a surface horse racing can be done on.

The park prior as a horse track was mostly inaccessible with railing and fences.
The only part of the ground the horse racing would maintain is the track that no one would use other than them.
Look at Morphettville or Gawler if you want examples of a field used for horse racing that would make for a terrible public park.

The track was closed because it did not make economic sense to continue using it.
Maybe in 100 years you can revisit if it would be used for horse racing but any other park would be just as likely. But in 100 years I would imagine you would be many many decades in to a complete ban on horse racing.

Chance of ever being used for horse racing again = 0%.
I remember going there to one of the last meetings held where a grand total of 14 paying customers went through the turnstiles.
One of the last meetings held, if not the last meeting, would have been the twilight races sometime in December prior to Christmas.
I can tell you for a fact that a lot more then 14 people attended.

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#483 Post by GrowAdelaide » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:55 am

It was a mid-week meeting and cold and wet. The point is, it wasn't a popular venue, hence its closure, and hence not much point in reestablishing it without some kind of new strategy.