News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#616 Post by Nort » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:31 am

bits wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:26 pm
Tea Tree Gully managed to build new a 50m pool, large warm water pool, toddlers pool and associated interactive water features, admin building, plant room, plant equipment, 3 water slides, change rooms - for $10 million in Dec 2010 on ~26,000sqm.

ACC is corrupt to suggest it would cost $60 million to do similar.
Are you referring to Waterworld, the outdoor facility not usable year round?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#617 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:30 am

bits wrote:
Tea Tree Gully managed to build new a 50m pool, large warm water pool, toddlers pool and associated interactive water features, admin building, plant room, plant equipment, 3 water slides, change rooms - for $10 million in Dec 2010 on ~26,000sqm.

Corrupt? That's a big word to be bandying about with no cause.

Given it was estimated to cost $11 million to just demolish the place, there's probably a few factors influencing cost above those of a greenfield development.

But I do think, if you're spending as much as $60 million, it may be worth going the whole hog and building to FINA standard. (Although, I would rather another location.)
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#618 Post by Nort » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:35 am

SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:30 am
bits wrote:

Given it was estimated to cost $11 million to just demolish the place, there's probably a few factors influencing cost above those of a greenfield development.

But I do think, if you're spending as much as $60 million, it may be worth going the whole hog and building to FINA standard. (Although, I would rather another location.)
If it's going to be funded primarily by the ACC I think it should go along the riverbank precinct.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#619 Post by how good is he » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:51 am

The Aquatic Centre at Marion cost some $100m some 10 years ago. Does anyone know the sq m size of that?
That has a capacity of around 3,500 people. The ACC doesn't say what the capacity is of their 3 potential options, if anyone knows?

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#620 Post by floplo » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:56 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Four options on the table for ailing Aquatic Centre

OPTION 1
Would cater for 1.3 million patrons per year.
Sverall size: 26,100sq m
Includes: 50m pool, spectator seating, learn to swim area, large leisure pool, large warm water pool, spa, sauna, steam room, large gym, 520 car parks, program rooms, creche, cafe and service areas.
Cost: $60.2 million

OPTION 2
Would cater for one million patrons
Overall size: 20,700sq m
Includes: 25m pool, learn to swim area, large leisure pool, large warm water pool, spa, sauna, steam room, gym, creche, cafe, program rooms, service area and 400 car parks.
Cost: 49.8 million

OPTION 3
Would cater for 714,000 patrons per year
Overall size: 15,200sq m
Includes: 25m pool, learn to swim area, leisure pool, warm water pool, spa, sauna, steam room, gymnasium, program rooms, creche, cafe, service areas and 286 car parks.
Cost: $38.6 million

OPTION 4
Would cater for 500,000 patrons per year
Overall size: 11,100sq m
Includes: 25m pool, toddler and learn to swim pool, small warm water pool, spa, gym, program rooms, children’s area cafe, service areas and 200 car parks.
Cost: $29.5 million

More: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 4MFuVT36Ig

For me, I pick OPTION 1!
Keep it closed till they find someone else to pay for it, anything in those magnitudes is just a white elephant for the ACC

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#621 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:35 am
SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:30 am
bits wrote:

If it's going to be funded primarily by the ACC I think it should go along the riverbank precinct.
I think a state aquatic sports park, perhaps including facilities for rowing or even a surfing wave pool, would be cool for the former railways land west of Victoria Bridge currently occupied by car parks, boatsheds, and unused lawn.
Keep Adelaide Weird

bits
Legendary Member!

#622 Post by bits » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:01 pm

Nort wrote: Are you referring to Waterworld, the outdoor facility not usable year round?
Yes.
Surely a roof, gym and spa is not worth $50 million.
Also why must it be year round and with a roof.
Where is the options of roof less?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#623 Post by ml69 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:43 pm

bits wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:01 pm
Nort wrote: Are you referring to Waterworld, the outdoor facility not usable year round?
Yes.
Cos you don’t want it closed for 7 months a year when the weather is too cold to swim as many suburban pools are.

In relation to the wave pool, that could be a real hit to set this pool apart from the numerous other enclosed pools in Adelaide. Doesn’t have to be a surfing wave pool. Having been to wave pools in Japan and Singapore, my kids absolutely love it and we would be definite customers if this rebuilt facility offered one!

Patrick_27

#624 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:08 am

ml69 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:43 pm
bits wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:01 pm
Yes.
Cos you don’t want it closed for 7 months a year when the weather is too cold to swim as many suburban pools are.

In relation to the wave pool, that could be a real hit to set this pool apart from the numerous other enclosed pools in Adelaide. Doesn’t have to be a surfing wave pool. Having been to wave pools in Japan and Singapore, my kids absolutely love it and we would be definite customers if this rebuilt facility offered one!
I look at how MSAC works in Melbourne, they've incorporated the more niche indoor sports (badminton, table tennis, squash etc) as well as basketball into a giant facility alongside the swimming centre, I don't think we should do that. But MSAC also have a massive gym attached, and they've got the balance right of offering family/children pools/entertainment whilst offering facilities for the more serious swimmers. I wonder if Memorial Drive were to be redeveloped and result in Next Gen having to relocate whether the ACC could create a facilities that could be owned by the council but co-operated and partially funded by Next Gen. This could be a way of increasing the revenue stream and bringing in a new clientele.

back86
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#625 Post by back86 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:45 pm

I hope the city of Adelaide do something about the aquatic centre there

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#626 Post by mattblack » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:05 pm

New boardwalk, visitor centre proposed for Botanic Garden
LOCAL
A raised boardwalk down an avenue of Moreton Bay figs, new glasshouses and visitor centres and a bridge across the Main Lake are part of a proposed new Adelaide Botanic Garden masterplan released for public feedback.

The Bicentennial Conservatory in the Adelaide Botanic Garden.
The plan, released this morning, outlines several new infrastructure upgrades, including improved pathways, signage and public toilets to ensure that the city’s 167-year-old Botanic Garden continues to provide “memorable, lasting and relevant experiences for local, national and international visitors”.

It includes a proposed elevated boardwalk down “Ficus Walk” – a row of Moreton Bay figs first planted in 1866 – to better protect for the trees’ roots, as well as the installation of a bridge across the Main Lake to extend the Garden’s primary north-south thoroughfare.

Other suggested improvements include building a “teaching glasshouse” with a food, health and wellbeing focus next to the kitchen garden, and readapting the Francis Arbour structure (originally the “Rustic Temple” museum) to create a new “entrance hub” with possible shop connecting the Garden to Lot Fourteen.

Heritage building restoration is also proposed, as well as new sustainable water management systems.

The proposed site changes for the Adelaide Botanic Garden. Image: Botanic Gardens and State Herbarium

Botanic Gardens and State Herbarium board chair Judy Potter said the suggested changes aimed to improve the visitor experience.

“The plans are about ensuring all future investment is done within a framework that adds to the experience of all users, ensures the sustainability of the gardens and protects the valuable botanical, cultural and architectural heritage within,” she said.

“At the same time, we want to give visitors an exceptional experience, and integrate with the Lot Fourteen global innovation precinct, and the cultural hub along North Terrace.”

The public has until Thursday November 12 to view the full plans and submit feedback via the State Government’s Your Say website.
https://indaily.com.au/

ghs

#627 Post by ghs » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:32 pm

In what seems to be good news it's seems that the Royal croquet club will be back in Victoria square next year. RCC are advertising it on their Facebook page.

Patrick_27

#628 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:39 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:32 pm
In what seems to be good news it's seems that the Royal croquet club will be back in Victoria square next year. RCC are advertising it on their Facebook page.
Great news! And hopefully this time local bricks and mortar don't complain that it's impacting their trade and embrace it with longer trading hours.

Nathan

#629 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:56 am

It's a shame. I liked RCC at Adelaide Uni, particularly since it gave them a lot of venue space to focus a lot more on programming. I wonder what happened.

[Shuz]

#630 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:12 am

Well the fact that it was so far away from everything, hidden almost, turned me off from going there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this. Happy to be proven wrong if the attendance numbers show otherwise. Seems RCC was more popular in VICSQ as it was in a very public space - free advertising basically to remind people that it's there. It made for good impromptu drinks, whereas the university made it easy to forget.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.