News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#421 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:35 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:12 pm
noted wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:38 am
The Aquatic Centre reminds me a bit of a classic case of the Government wanting a school to shut down. They plant the seed in the media that the school is struggling and numbers are dropping, but refuse to commit to any expenditure to it. What do you know- no parent wants to send there kid to a school that is on the brink of closure and it no time it is done and dusted.

The Aquatic Centre has been a fait accompli for about two decades now, and quite frankly every time I go there I am surprised to see how many people still frequent it.
We go there every weekend for swimming lessons, and it's always packed then. All I wish for is better maintenance of the family change rooms (and more of them, and not at the opposite side of the centre from the kids pool).
I go there twice a week, it's always busy both at night and during the day (a LOT of schools - public and private - use it for swimming lessons and for swimming carnivals). Considering how much membership is to the centre per-annum coupled with one-off entry, I highly doubt that the centre is struggling. The ACC are merely milking its patrons and not reinvesting back into the centre. That said, it sounds as though the Crows intend to build a community facility to replace the centre in amongst their own plans...

Waewick

#422 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:03 pm

This is where people need to stop basing their opinion on anecdotal evidence and listen to those with the facts.

ACC have said its a money pit that is costing them a bucket load, they've also said it needs a multi million $ upgrade.

So whilst I'm sure you're one day a week experience leads you to believe the ACC is making a killing from it, perhaps you need to listen to the people in the know?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#423 Post by how good is he » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:10 pm

This was from Nov 17 from councillor Phil Martin,
“Council has been doing the sums … and the upshot is that to do no more than repair and maintain North Adelaide aquatic centre could cost the ratepayers close to $15 million over the next 10 years.If you add operating losses, then it is likely the total cost would be in the order of $20 million”.

Patrick_27

#424 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:10 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:03 pm
This is where people need to stop basing their opinion on anecdotal evidence and listen to those with the facts.

ACC have said its a money pit that is costing them a bucket load, they've also said it needs a multi million $ upgrade.

So whilst I'm sure you're one day a week experience leads you to believe the ACC is making a killing from it, perhaps you need to listen to the people in the know?
I'm sorry, but perhaps you can imagine my lack of trust with the ACC's comments considering they're consistently wrong or biased with their information, furthermore that they have fucked up a lot of projects in recent years which only adds to that lack of trust.

If the Marion Swimming Centre can run at a profit and have less patronage, and this centre is struggling, then perhaps it's worth asking the question of why. Miss-management, perhaps? OR, here's a better question, why didn't the ACC approach the state government BEFORE the Marion Swimming Centre was built and suggest they rebuild the Adelaide Aquatic Centre instead? Considering the council have been against a number of projects to privatise the parklands, I'd be surprised if they miraculously changed their tone with this project.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#425 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:10 pm
If the Marion Swimming Centre can run at a profit and have less patronage, and this centre is struggling, then perhaps it's worth asking the question of why. Miss-management, perhaps? OR, here's a better question, why didn't the ACC approach the state government BEFORE the Marion Swimming Centre was built and suggest they rebuild the Adelaide Aquatic Centre instead?
It was my understanding they did, and were rejected.

If they were making a profit off of the Adelaide Aquatic Centre, they wouldn't be so keen to get rid of it that even Anne Moran has given the all clear.

[Shuz]

#426 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Rymill Park’s role as city events hub enhanced under new Adelaide City Council master plan
APRIL 08, 2019

An amphitheatre and a memorial to the Stolen Generation would be built as part of a proposed upgrade to Rymill Park that will enhance its ability to host major events.

Adelaide City Council has released its draft master plan to rejuvenate the precinct, which includes improved walking trails, a new rose rotunda, a plaza and more vegetation.

It also addresses the lake’s “degrading water quality and … resultant public health concerns” by harvesting and treating stormwater to help fill it.

Currently, the lake is filled with recycled wastewater from Glenelg.

The upgrade, which will go to the Adelaide Park Lands Authority on Thursday for feedback, will be done in partnership with the State Government.

Rymill Park lake is filled with recycled wastewater and has usually had a greenish hue in recent years.

The council’s Deputy Lord Mayor Houssam Abiad expected the plan to “hit a high note” with ratepayers.

“It would really be an add-value to the precinct … a real attraction,” Mr Abiad said.

“In the way of activation on the parklands, I don’t think we do enough so I think having a vision like this helps … attract people, which is exactly what we need to see.”

The council hoped the upgrade would help draw more events to join Gluttony, Superloop Adelaide 500, the Tour Down Under and the Australian International Three Day (Equestrian) Event being staged at the park.

Gluttony director and owner operator Daniel Michael said there were “great ideas” in the proposal.

“We definitely support investment of infrastructure in parks, particularly that one because it is such a great space,” Mr Michael said. “It is useful and necessary.”

The $1 million Quentin Kenihan inclusive play space is also part of the plan, and would be the project’s first stage.

A Stolen Generation “place of reflection” is also planned and could be located on a small wedge of public land next to Tandanya, separated from the main park by East Tce.

The report said funding “to progress the master plan” would be considered as part of the 2019/20 budget.

“The draft master plan provides a long-term vision for the park, and will help to guide changes and investment in Rymill Park over time,” said Adelaide City Council operations director Beth Davidson-Park.

“Specific projects may be initiated through our annual budgeting process or through grant funding.

“Further budget allocations will be made in future years, for example event infrastructure upgrade for Rymill, is projected for City of Adelaide investment in 2020/21.”

The council must endorse the draft master plan before it can go out for public consultation.

Consultation with stakeholders, including the Adelaide Bowling Club, the kiosk and major event organisers, should start in June.

Community consultation with the wider community is expected to start in July.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#427 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Link? I’m assuming this is from the ‘Tiser?

Good to see though. I wish some TLC would be given to Rundle and Elder Parks too - for major event places, they’re scarcely better than a suburban park.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#428 Post by Mpol03 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:13 pm

I really think a master plan for the entire parklands would be ideal but yes very good to see this Come through.

I really hope they integrate the parklands and connect them to the city. This is so important if we are to improve what the parklands do for the city as a public space

Nathan

#429 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:36 pm

If only we had stuck to the earlier O-Bahn tunnel plan, removing Rundle Rd in favour of a new road connecting with Grenfell St — we could have had a much grander combined Rundle/Rymill Park.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#430 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:43 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:13 pm
I really think a master plan for the entire parklands would be ideal but yes very good to see this Come through.

I really hope they integrate the parklands and connect them to the city. This is so important if we are to improve what the parklands do for the city as a public space
We do have a landscape masterplan, but it seems like it was forgotten nearly as soon as it was launched (much like the city design manual) and hasn't been updated since 2011.

(EDIT: apparently I missed an update to the city design manual in 2017, but it doesn't appear to be rigorously adhered to given the variability/inconsistency in recent streetscape upgrades)
Last edited by SRW on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#431 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Also, in terms of the proposed Stolen Generation memorial (and in fact Tandanya), I tend to think this might be better colocated with the forthcoming gallery at Lot 14.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#432 Post by Nort » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:46 pm
Also, in terms of the proposed Stolen Generation memorial (and in fact Tandanya), I tend to think this might be better colocated with the forthcoming gallery at Lot 14.
I don't know, I think next to Tandanya is a great spot.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#433 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm
SRW wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:46 pm
I don't know, I think next to Tandanya is a great spot.
Yeah true. I just think that if Tandyana itself might need to move or combine with the gallery, the memorial should be there too. Otherwise, all good.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#434 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:54 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:36 pm
If only we had stuck to the earlier O-Bahn tunnel plan, removing Rundle Rd in favour of a new road connecting with Grenfell St — we could have had a much grander combined Rundle/Rymill Park.
I agree and the opposition to the original proposal ended up working against those opposing it, because the same number of trees were cut down, less parkland was returned and in turn a big opportunity was missed to do something amazing with that side of the city. As it happens, since the RAH has moved, the parking that some were fighting to have retained has basically become redundant, and is rarely ever as full as it use to be... Oh well, I guess we can come back to such a plan in the future...

claybro

#435 Post by claybro » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:45 pm

All well and good for these grand plans...but, the usual complaint from me-..for God sake, core the lawn, fertilise the lawn and water the lawn....it was mostly a dead dustbowl by the end of weekend 1 of the Fringe.