[APP] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 778 times
Been thanked: 88 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#451 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:55 pm
Glossing over the serious issues that Perth Stadium has, like the too hard playing surface, and the need for view and atmosphere obstructing crowd control fences around the entire fence line because the grandstands are elevated above the playing field.

At least it doesn't kill its own grass as well, like the ugly disaster at Docklands.
Many grounds worldwide have had issues with grass when they've built retractable roofs or overhanging ones. If Perth Stadium has issue I'm sure they will sort them out. What counts the most is that the spectators get good views from every angle on every tier, are comfortable and have all the facilities under a roof protected from the elements. Adelaide Oval gets close not on every point, hence it will not be as good as Perth Stadium, which is not perfect either but better than ours.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 397 times
Contact:

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#452 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:15 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:55 pm
Glossing over the serious issues that Perth Stadium has, like the too hard playing surface, and the need for view and atmosphere obstructing crowd control fences around the entire fence line because the grandstands are elevated above the playing field.

At least it doesn't kill its own grass as well, like the ugly disaster at Docklands.
I went to Perth Stadium last year. It's honestly nothing special. It won't age well.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 778 times
Been thanked: 88 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#453 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:22 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:57 pm
Ho Really wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:15 pm
You know SA Water in Victoria Square? Build a steel frame with patterned coloured-glass all round. This will also cover and improve the look of the upper part of the stadium where you see the unberbelly of the terraces. This could be done when they build the Northern Stand and when they raise the height of the Western (Members) Stand. There you have it...voilà!
I'm sorry, but if your idea of taste is the facade of the SA Water building on Victoria Square, then I don't even know what the point of having this debate with you is. That building is only a decade old and it's already aged terribly.
Patrick_27, you have misunderstood the point I was trying to make. This is only an idea so that the ugly facade of the hotel can be covered. There are many other ways you can make the hotel look better by changing the cladding. My suggestion also included extending the cladding (steel, glass or any other non-flammable material) up to the roof so the exposed terraces cannot be seen. Perhaps an Aboriginal design can be incorporated in this facade. Take a look at Perth Stadium and use your imagination...

Architect-designed facade at Perth Stadium uses custom Fairview system in 6 colours
Sapphire Completes Anodising on Perth Stadium Facade
Empire Façades Perth Stadium
Optus Stadium Construction Fact Sheet

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 142 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#454 Post by Nort » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 am

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 am
NTRabbit wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:55 pm
Glossing over the serious issues that Perth Stadium has, like the too hard playing surface, and the need for view and atmosphere obstructing crowd control fences around the entire fence line because the grandstands are elevated above the playing field.

At least it doesn't kill its own grass as well, like the ugly disaster at Docklands.
Many grounds worldwide have had issues with grass when they've built retractable roofs or overhanging ones. If Perth Stadium has issue I'm sure they will sort them out. What counts the most is that the spectators get good views from every angle on every tier, are comfortable and have all the facilities under a roof protected from the elements. Adelaide Oval gets close not on every point, hence it will not be as good as Perth Stadium, which is not perfect either but better than ours.

Cheers
Pretty circular argument you have there that the reason for not having something like the Hill is that it's important to not have something like the Hill.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 778 times
Been thanked: 88 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#455 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:07 am
Ok so let’s build a pig and then maybe think of putting lipstick on it down the track? You know that’s not going to happen (at least the lipstick part).
I assume you are only talking about the hotel component. Well yes it is a pig any way you look at it. I've said it before. Adding the hotel in its current form is like putting a pimple on a wart. Tarting up the pig is not much better but at least if done properly and is an integral part of the hotel design it can add some style to the exterior of the stadium. It would be best if it's on an expand stadium.

Since we can't raise Adelaide Oval to the ground and start afresh so the next best thing is to improve it and make it look better. See my reply to Patrick_27.

Do you any opinion on what is going to happen down the track?
Yep I do remember the Torrens hill well - spent hundreds of hours there summer and winter - especially at the cricket when the northern hill was fenced off and marqueed for members only and the plebs were banished to the Torrens hill frying pan. Or sardined in at footy finals with one toilet block you couldn’t even get near. Funny wasn’t thinking of the ‘real beauty’ of the venue at that time. But I do now, and the arrival experience crossing the footbridge or from the cathedral end is especially awesome....every time.
Any crowded cricket ground without a roof for fans will be a frying pan. Of course no one would've been thinking how great it was back then when you had limited facilities etc., The point I was trying to make is that if you wanted Adelaide to retain its "real" character and uniqueness then you should go back in time. What we have now is somewhere in between.

The footbridge and cathedral are separate from the hotel and stadium argument. I'm not too fussed about the footbridge. I' never commented on it anywhere. Rev sees it a little different. He wanted a more bold design and better lighting effects. That's his opinion and you need to respect that. Like all designers and architects not all will agree with each other on design matters. As for the cathedral whether you can see it from the oval or not or walking in its midst has no bearing on the quality of the stadium. There are probably many who couldn't give a toss about it anyway and perhaps even have derogatory thoughts about it.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 778 times
Been thanked: 88 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#456 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:24 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 am
Ho Really wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 am
NTRabbit wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:55 pm
Glossing over the serious issues that Perth Stadium has, like the too hard playing surface, and the need for view and atmosphere obstructing crowd control fences around the entire fence line because the grandstands are elevated above the playing field.

At least it doesn't kill its own grass as well, like the ugly disaster at Docklands.
Many grounds worldwide have had issues with grass when they've built retractable roofs or overhanging ones. If Perth Stadium has issue I'm sure they will sort them out. What counts the most is that the spectators get good views from every angle on every tier, are comfortable and have all the facilities under a roof protected from the elements. Adelaide Oval gets close not on every point, hence it will not be as good as Perth Stadium, which is not perfect either but better than ours.

Cheers
Pretty circular argument you have there that the reason for not having something like the Hill is that it's important to not have something like the Hill.
My comment here is about the state of the grass, the pitch, the ground surface. No Hill here.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 142 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#457 Post by Nort » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:24 pm
Nort wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 am
Ho Really wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 am


Many grounds worldwide have had issues with grass when they've built retractable roofs or overhanging ones. If Perth Stadium has issue I'm sure they will sort them out. What counts the most is that the spectators get good views from every angle on every tier, are comfortable and have all the facilities under a roof protected from the elements. Adelaide Oval gets close not on every point, hence it will not be as good as Perth Stadium, which is not perfect either but better than ours.

Cheers
Pretty circular argument you have there that the reason for not having something like the Hill is that it's important to not have something like the Hill.
My comment here is about the state of the grass, the pitch, the ground surface. No Hill here.

Cheers
Uhh...
What counts the most is that the spectators get good views from every angle on every tier, are comfortable and have all the facilities under a roof protected from the elements

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 398 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#458 Post by rev » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:22 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:57 pm
rev wrote:
AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm


Please don't disparagingly assume everyone who goes against you must be suffering from some kind of broad South Australian mindset - we can all have different opinions on different developments. For example, I'm not any South Australian type, as I've only lived in Adelaide for the last few years. I'm from the UK and have spent my career living and working in places like London, Canberra and Melbourne. Many of my friends in Adelaide aren't South Australian either and although we talk about things we would like to change, we always agree how proud we are of Adelaide Oval and how our visitors from interstate and overseas always, without exception, love it.

To back up this opinion, I provided you with a quote from Paul Finch, a London-based programme director of the World Architecture Festival, and editorial director of Architects’ Journal/Architectural Review who said Adelaide Oval was "the most impressive ground" he'd ever seen. What an incredible statement for someone from overseas, with his architectural reputation to uphold, experience and education to make about this stadium. Yet it looks like you've just dismissed him as "a guy whose paid to blow wind up the asses of people in the industry." Like that could be the only reason he would say something like that as opposed to maybe, just maybe, Adelaide Oval isn't as terrible as you argue?
Where you here prior to the redevelopment which opened at the start of the 2014/15 summer cricket season in November/December?

You assume that because I argue passionately, I have a problem with other peoples opinions, or them having opinions at all.

So while lecturing me on opinions, you then tell me my opinion is wrong because some guy has a different opinion to mine.

I don’t assume you have a problem with other people’s opinion it’s a fact, as shown by your comments in this thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So how exactly do you think a discussion and debate occurs? I don't know how it happens over in the UK, but for the rest of the planet it generally involves people with different opinions and views sharing them and making their points.

If we all agreed with each other, there'd be no need for sites such as this to allow people to make comments.

So from where I'm standing, it seems its people like you who have the problem.
I shared an opinion, you disagreed and shared someone elses opinion, I still disagree. Now apparently I've got a problem.

Go figure.

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2924
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 111 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#459 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Rev is well known on these boards for voicing opinions, insulting anyone who disagrees, and then claiming to be a victim.
It's his formula. Don't even try to deal with it.
cheers,
Rhino

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 398 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#460 Post by rev » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:52 pm

rhino wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:29 pm
Rev is well known on these boards for voicing opinions, insulting anyone who disagrees, and then claiming to be a victim.
It's his formula. Don't even try to deal with it.
How about my fans on here actually make a coherent and strong counter argument for a change, and maybe you'll convince me that you're opinion is correct and mine is wrong?

There's plenty of other people on this forum who have said something counter to one of my posts, that I haven't continued to argue my point with because it's obvious that my point is wrong, or misguided, or misinformed.

The main problem here isn't me (sure my reaction at times to cry babies who provoke me is a problem). The problem is you and people like you.

Me and Will have disagreed plenty. Have I insulted Will? Ask him your self. We disagreed as recently as a few pages back the other day in this thread.
Any insults flying there? I actually respect Will, while we don't agree on most things at least he can put forward a coherent argument and we both passionately argue our points of view, at least he doesn't have a cry when someone doesn't give in and agree with him like people such as your self do and this Andy has done.

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2924
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 111 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#461 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Rev, I respect your right to disagree with me.
It's you who doesn't respect anyone's right to disagree with you. Sometimes I put up arguments, sometimes I just can't be bothered. I still don't have to agree with you.

As Ho Really said recently, it's okay to disagree.

Get over it.
cheers,
Rhino

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2924
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 111 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#462 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:04 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:52 pm
How about my fans on here actually make a coherent and strong counter argument for a change, and maybe you'll convince me that you're opinion is correct and mine is wrong?
Opinions are not right or wrong. They're just opinions. You can get facts right or wrong, but when you are talking about what someone should have done or not done, or how they should have done it, that's just an opinion. You can't prove it's right or wrong, you can only try to sway people. And you won't sway all of them. And that is a fact. Accept it.

Just for the record, I don't always disagree with you either.
cheers,
Rhino

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 398 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#463 Post by rev » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:11 pm

rhino wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:58 pm
Rev, I respect your right to disagree with me.
It's you who doesn't respect anyone's right to disagree with you. Sometimes I put up arguments, sometimes I just can't be bothered. I still don't have to agree with you.

As Ho Really said recently, it's okay to disagree.

Get over it.
How many times are you going to jump into a thread to talk shit about me?
What, "get over it" now that I put you in your place with the facts eh?

Just because I disagree with you or someone else, doesn't mean I don't respect your right to disagree or have your own opinion. You make those assumptions because YOU can't get your way. Throwing tantrums in the adult world doesn't work.

Indeed, get over it. If you can't convince someone that your opinion or point of view is correct and theirs is wrong, GET OVER IT. :toilet:

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 398 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#464 Post by rev » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:13 pm

rhino wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:04 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:52 pm
How about my fans on here actually make a coherent and strong counter argument for a change, and maybe you'll convince me that you're opinion is correct and mine is wrong?
Opinions are not right or wrong. They're just opinions. You can get facts right or wrong, but when you are talking about what someone should have done or not done, or how they should have done it, that's just an opinion. You can't prove it's right or wrong, you can only try to sway people. And you won't sway all of them. And that is a fact. Accept it.

Just for the record, I don't always disagree with you either.
I really don't care who agrees or disagrees.
If you have a counter argument, put it forward. Its you and the rest of the insignificant loud mouth whingers on here who cause problems because they cant get Rev to agree with them.

I've disagreed with several people in this thread, one of them has had a sook. Now you've come along and taken your shit in here too. Feel better do you?

How about you try that "Get Over It" ???

sick and tired of this bullshit from this little select group on here.
you don't like what I post? you don't like the way I post? put me on ignore and GET OVER IT. :roll:

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2924
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 111 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#465 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Me throwing tantrums :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are the Comeback King!
cheers,
Rhino

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pikey and 11 guests