[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#511 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:11 am

d3v310per wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:59 pm
Looking north-east

Bases for further concrete columns (same as the above pic)

Another angle looking south-west
'Hotel development won't encroach on the parklands' just because it doesn't touch the ground that it sits above doesn't mean it's not encroaching...

And it's a wooden box, a fucking wooden box. This whole development is a joke.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#512 Post by cmet » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:24 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
d3v310per wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:59 pm
Looking north-east

Bases for further concrete columns (same as the above pic)

Another angle looking south-west
'Hotel development won't encroach on the parklands' just because it doesn't touch the ground that it sits above doesn't mean it's not encroaching...

And it's a wooden box, a fucking wooden box. This whole development is a joke.
Lol

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#513 Post by Mpol03 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:47 am

:| I’m done with this city.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#514 Post by how good is he » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:27 am

Does anyone know when the original AO re-development plans were done if they were designed to allow for this hotel at a later stage? So did the architects (or AO) have this up there sleeve all along or is it just a fairly recent idea to bolt it on? If so, were the plans and thus this hotel infrastructure just made up as it went? I’m curious with things like fire exits, lifts/access points, plumbing & electrical infrastructure, underground connections etc if they just co~incidentally work or was any or all of it planned in advance? So far it’s looking very half arsed...

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#515 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:56 am

I have to say that ground level doesn't have much height clearance? I always thought enetering the foyer of a hotel should have high ceilings, creating a feeling of space and luxury?

Also, I do not understand this timber box thing? Maybe I need to read over the BCA and NCC, but I'd be pretty uncertain on the fire rating of this place? (and I got pinned for this in Archi school enough times).

I have always believed this hotel is not needed, the site is already activated with the Oval being right there! This just gives people visiting for sporting reasons not to ever leave the precinct and actually visit the rest of the city - which is the opposite of what we want. Who plans this stuff out?

As far as this development goes, the only redeeming feature for me is the V columns.

ChillyPhilly

#516 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:32 am

Disgusting. Gross.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#517 Post by citywatcher » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:54 am

Typically SA Liberal Party
Another festering excuse for infrastructure

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#518 Post by SRW » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:54 am

I'm not a fan of this but I have to say I don't think that the wood you see is the final cladding. It looks like CLT panels with brackets already bolted for something to overlay.

That said, although I know the photos are making it look lower than it is, it's also nowhere near as elevated as the renders showed. This jutting box was always the weakest/ugliest element of the hotel design, and that appears to be bearing out in construction.

And as far as consistency between the oval redevelopment and this addition, I think the only thing linking them is that the architects are the same (Cox).
Keep Adelaide Weird

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

#519 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Lots of interesting information on this website about how the finishing will match the Adelaide Oval, clearances etc

https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... al_SMA.pdf

For example here’s a few screenshots below:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly

#520 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:17 pm

'Shaddow.'
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#521 Post by Honey of a City » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:57 pm

Someone’s been conned. There was much ado by the SMA claiming there would be absolutely no addition to the footprint, and that the hotel would be suspended from the current oval structure. So what are these multiple massive concrete ‘feet’ being erected directly outside of the original ‘footprint’? Also if the above renders are anywhere near accurate the previous impressive arrival experience is now reduced to a cringe. The original design was never clever or satisfying, but the reality is looking downright grim right now.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#522 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Honey of a City wrote:Also if the above renders are anywhere near accurate the previous impressive arrival experience is now reduced to a cringe. The original design was never clever or satisfying, but the reality is looking downright grim right now.
I’m definitely worried about the very cramped spaces under the hotel. I hadn’t realised it would be like that.

However, I’m still hoping with the materials used it will blend in once complete. If you arrived at the Oval and it looked like the render below, do you think that would be okay?

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#523 Post by cmet » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:58 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Honey of a City wrote:Also if the above renders are anywhere near accurate the previous impressive arrival experience is now reduced to a cringe. The original design was never clever or satisfying, but the reality is looking downright grim right now.
I’m definitely worried about the very cramped spaces under the hotel. I hadn’t realised it would be like that.

However, I’m still hoping with the materials used it will blend in once complete. If you arrived at the Oval and it looked like the render below, do you think that would be okay?

That’s fine, imo

Waewick

#524 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:27 pm

It's really not that bad.

The clearance is well over two metres ( those fences are usually atleast 2 metres). It looks like it is going to blend in fine with the oval.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#525 Post by Spotto » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:18 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:57 pm
Someone’s been conned. There was much ado by the SMA claiming there would be absolutely no addition to the footprint, and that the hotel would be suspended from the current oval structure. So what are these multiple massive concrete ‘feet’ being erected directly outside of the original ‘footprint’?
When originally announced I took “footprint” to mean the stadium and surrounding concrete/landscaping. It’s not like the parklands stretches right up to the stadium wall. The new structure isn’t encroaching on the parklands because it’s still inside the confines of what’s already been developed.

What’s being built does look vastly different to the original renders though, but I’ll reserve judgment until we get a better idea of the finished product. SMA better be paying interest on that loan though...