[APP] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1560
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#301 Post by ghs » Wed May 29, 2019 2:43 pm

Tenders for the building company close tomorrow and then they plan to start work in early July. Bullshit.
They will never be able to move that quickly.

floplo
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 18 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#302 Post by floplo » Wed May 29, 2019 3:07 pm

Ben wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:50 pm
I will be astounded if they complete a 148 room hotel in 11 months.
Isn't it practically two 74 or so room hotels (with a small connecting lobby in the middle). I don't know that much about construction, but since there isn't really much in terms of siteworks, no digging, minor demolition, etc, and if they can indeed build the two parts simultaneously, then does 6-7 rooms a month really sound overly ambitious ?

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3459
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 130 times

[APP] [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#303 Post by Waewick » Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Are people still complaining about this, move on and get it built.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 204 times

[APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#304 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Waewick wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm
Are people still complaining about this, move on and get it built.
No, because it's a shit idea that will in time will show how it is. And people won't get over it because there was no consultation, there was little details provided in response to the questions asked (security for one) it's literally just come out of nowhere and the public have been told: "Yeah, it's happening with a loan of your tax money, get over it."

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3459
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 130 times

[APP] [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#305 Post by Waewick » Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 pm


Patrick_27 wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm
Are people still complaining about this, move on and get it built.
No, because it's a shit idea that will in time will show how it is. And people won't get over it because there was no consultation, there was little details provided in response to the questions asked (security for one) it's literally just come out of nowhere and the public have been told: "Yeah, it's happening with a loan of your tax money, get over it."
I disagree that its necessarily a bad idea, I'm not sure i agree with it but its an idea.

I'm not sure what security you are talking about (be it the loan or actual security).

The government loan is just a fun political game oppositions love to play to sucker in people to be outraged. Governments, especially the SA Government have been giving out loans for decades, generally with no or little scrutiny. Doesn't mean they don't do their DD however.



rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3926
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 375 times

[APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#306 Post by rev » Thu May 30, 2019 10:35 am

Waewick wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm
Are people still complaining about this, move on and get it built.
No, because it's a shit idea that will in time will show how it is. And people won't get over it because there was no consultation, there was little details provided in response to the questions asked (security for one) it's literally just come out of nowhere and the public have been told: "Yeah, it's happening with a loan of your tax money, get over it."
I disagree that its necessarily a bad idea, I'm not sure i agree with it but its an idea.

I'm not sure what security you are talking about (be it the loan or actual security).

The government loan is just a fun political game oppositions love to play to sucker in people to be outraged. Governments, especially the SA Government have been giving out loans for decades, generally with no or little scrutiny. Doesn't mean they don't do their DD however.
He's talking about actual security, physical security between the hotel and the oval it self. He has no idea about the topic but he is trying to use it as a point to argue against the development.
It's a non-issue. There's stadiums with hotels attached to them already around the world.

If security was such an issue for Patrick and others,there's many things they would have noticed and be concerned about already before this hotel was proposed. Which only shows how out of their depth they are on the subject...but that wont stop them from using it as a point to argue. :lol: shouldn't laugh but there's not much else left to do.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 204 times

[APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#307 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:49 pm

rev wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:35 am
He's talking about actual security, physical security between the hotel and the oval it self. He has no idea about the topic but he is trying to use it as a point to argue against the development.
It's a non-issue. There's stadiums with hotels attached to them already around the world.

If security was such an issue for Patrick and others,there's many things they would have noticed and be concerned about already before this hotel was proposed. Which only shows how out of their depth they are on the subject...but that wont stop them from using it as a point to argue. :lol: shouldn't laugh but there's not much else left to do.
What, and you're an expert are you? You're merely someone sitting behind a computer screen commenting on a development forum, you have no more or less insight than I would. Get over yourself. I'm not sure how I'm really out of my depth with this by raising the point of security... Tell me, what happens when someone drives a truck loaded with explosives into the designated underground pick-up/drop-off during a 50,000 capacity event? OR when a person smashes the window of their room and fires live rounds onto the forecourt of the eastern stand before or after an event? Even if that grade of attack is not (yet) common in Australia let alone Adelaide, remember that we hold a lot of multinational events at the stadium between countries that have political tension (Pakistan and India, to name one). Security has always been an issue that I've had with this proposal and yet no one (including yourself, Mr. self-imposed genius on the topic) has provided any answers to this point, further to that, I could real off a heap of other issues that I have with this development but to people like you, none of them would carry any weight because to you your opinion is always the right one.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3926
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 375 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#308 Post by rev » Fri May 31, 2019 8:59 am

Vehicles entering the underground area be it from the east car park or southern service area are stopped and checked. Of course that doesnt stop someone detonating a device at that point.

There's a pretty sizeable police presence during games. Smashing out hotel windows? Hotels dont have the same windows you have at home. And the response would be very quick. Youd imagine thered be a security presence in the hotel as well.

We don't know who will use this hotel and how it will operate in relation to game days. Youre probably not aware that prior to a cricket match for example that no event or function is allowed to be held at the oval.
As they said they want to capture more of the corporate market, this hotel is likely going to be aimed and marketed towards that. Theres already many corporate functions and meetings held at the oval. So it doesnt seem likely that general public will use it.
And even if they did, perhaps itll operate differently during games/matches. Perhaps there wont be any bookings/guests during a game. Perhaps it will be used by media and teams during games.

Oh please, Pakistan and India? How many proboems have we had between both communities at cricket matches to date? Ill tell you. None.

Maybe I find the hysteria in here funny because I have qualifications and experience that do deem me a security expert? Or maybe I just find something highly unlikely from ever happening being used as a reason this hotel shouldnt be built funny.

Here's something for you to think about.
What's stopping someone or a group like we've seen overseas crossing that foot bridge and gunning people down and stabbing people? Whats to stop that happening in the southern, eastern or northern plazas? Whats to stop them using devices in backpacks like happens overseas?

You want to talk about security risks? Start with the ones that exist and not ones that are less likely to happen then either of us winning a jackpot in lotto.

Threat and risk assessments are done all the time. Police hold regular meetings with all security companies. Theres lots thats going on that you Joe Public arent aware of. Yes even in little old Adelaide. You can sit there and come up with many scenarios. Whats the likelihood of any of it happening? You however dont have access to the above, so you are playing a guessing game. Police here and interstate as well as our intelligence agencies share the latest intelligence and potential threats.

What can be done in most scenarios that doesnt impact the general public severely, that doesnt impact our freedoms..even our freedom of movement. We aren't at the point where we need military style check points like in Israel.

What can be done? What is already being done. Has any major islamic terrorist attack happened on Australian soil? No.
Theyve all been stopped.

Relax a little Patrick, too much stress about things you cant control isnt good for your health.

Btw, theyve already developed 'explosion proof' concrete with a higher tensile strength.

User avatar
timtam20292
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1085
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:03 pm
Has thanked: 880 times
Been thanked: 147 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#309 Post by timtam20292 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 am

Well said Rev :applause: :applause: :bow: :bow:

citywatcher
Legendary Member!
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#310 Post by citywatcher » Fri May 31, 2019 10:30 am

rev wrote:Vehicles entering the underground area be it from the east car park or southern service area are stopped and checked. Of course that doesnt stop someone detonating a device at that point.

There's a pretty sizeable police presence during games. Smashing out hotel windows? Hotels dont have the same windows you have at home. And the response would be very quick. Youd imagine thered be a security presence in the hotel as well.

We don't know who will use this hotel and how it will operate in relation to game days. Youre probably not aware that prior to a cricket match for example that no event or function is allowed to be held at the oval.
As they said they want to capture more of the corporate market, this hotel is likely going to be aimed and marketed towards that. Theres already many corporate functions and meetings held at the oval. So it doesnt seem likely that general public will use it.
And even if they did, perhaps itll operate differently during games/matches. Perhaps there wont be any bookings/guests during a game. Perhaps it will be used by media and teams during games.

Oh please, Pakistan and India? How many proboems have we had between both communities at cricket matches to date? Ill tell you. None.

Maybe I find the hysteria in here funny because I have qualifications and experience that do deem me a security expert? Or maybe I just find something highly unlikely from ever happening being used as a reason this hotel shouldnt be built funny.

Here's something for you to think about.
What's stopping someone or a group like we've seen overseas crossing that foot bridge and gunning people down and stabbing people? Whats to stop that happening in the southern, eastern or northern plazas? Whats to stop them using devices in backpacks like happens overseas?

You want to talk about security risks? Start with the ones that exist and not ones that are less likely to happen then either of us winning a jackpot in lotto.

Threat and risk assessments are done all the time. Police hold regular meetings with all security companies. Theres lots thats going on that you Joe Public arent aware of. Yes even in little old Adelaide. You can sit there and come up with many scenarios. Whats the likelihood of any of it happening? You however dont have access to the above, so you are playing a guessing game. Police here and interstate as well as our intelligence agencies share the latest intelligence and potential threats.

What can be done in most scenarios that doesnt impact the general public severely, that doesnt impact our freedoms..even our freedom of movement. We aren't at the point where we need military style check points like in Israel.

What can be done? What is already being done. Has any major islamic terrorist attack happened on Australian soil? No.
Theyve all been stopped.

Relax a little Patrick, too much stress about things you cant control isnt good for your health.

Btw, theyve already developed 'explosion proof' concrete with a higher tensile strength.
One is reminded if Lindt Cafe and the botch up response to that

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk


HiTouch
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 pm
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 84 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#311 Post by HiTouch » Fri May 31, 2019 1:25 pm

rev wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:59 am
Vehicles entering the underground area be it from the east car park or southern service area are stopped and checked. Of course that doesnt stop someone detonating a device at that point.

There's a pretty sizeable police presence during games. Smashing out hotel windows? Hotels dont have the same windows you have at home. And the response would be very quick. Youd imagine thered be a security presence in the hotel as well.

We don't know who will use this hotel and how it will operate in relation to game days. Youre probably not aware that prior to a cricket match for example that no event or function is allowed to be held at the oval.
As they said they want to capture more of the corporate market, this hotel is likely going to be aimed and marketed towards that. Theres already many corporate functions and meetings held at the oval. So it doesnt seem likely that general public will use it.
And even if they did, perhaps itll operate differently during games/matches. Perhaps there wont be any bookings/guests during a game. Perhaps it will be used by media and teams during games.

Oh please, Pakistan and India? How many proboems have we had between both communities at cricket matches to date? Ill tell you. None.

Maybe I find the hysteria in here funny because I have qualifications and experience that do deem me a security expert? Or maybe I just find something highly unlikely from ever happening being used as a reason this hotel shouldnt be built funny.

Here's something for you to think about.
What's stopping someone or a group like we've seen overseas crossing that foot bridge and gunning people down and stabbing people? Whats to stop that happening in the southern, eastern or northern plazas? Whats to stop them using devices in backpacks like happens overseas?

You want to talk about security risks? Start with the ones that exist and not ones that are less likely to happen then either of us winning a jackpot in lotto.

Threat and risk assessments are done all the time. Police hold regular meetings with all security companies. Theres lots thats going on that you Joe Public arent aware of. Yes even in little old Adelaide. You can sit there and come up with many scenarios. Whats the likelihood of any of it happening? You however dont have access to the above, so you are playing a guessing game. Police here and interstate as well as our intelligence agencies share the latest intelligence and potential threats.

What can be done in most scenarios that doesnt impact the general public severely, that doesnt impact our freedoms..even our freedom of movement. We aren't at the point where we need military style check points like in Israel.

What can be done? What is already being done. Has any major islamic terrorist attack happened on Australian soil? No.
Theyve all been stopped.

Relax a little Patrick, too much stress about things you cant control isnt good for your health. I am a gay masseuse.

Btw, theyve already developed 'explosion proof' concrete with a higher tensile strength.
So to sum up your argument:
“It’s never happened before so it probably won’t happen. I’m an expert so I would know and you don’t know anything haha.”

Seriously the dumbest argument. I don’t agree with Patrick’s pedantic nature but he obviously wants to know details about logistics and protections and you’ve explained none of that. All you’ve said is the same thing over and over again. Timtam’s following comment has more substance and all he said was basically “yayyyy revvyyy xoxo”.
rev wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:55 am
If the parklands are so important why dont they put it to a vote state wide? Or are they afraid the majority will back this hotel..

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 48 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#312 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:24 am

Builder announced for Adelaide Oval Hotel.
https://www.adelaideoval.com.au/news/bu ... val-hotel/

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2215
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 688 times
Been thanked: 73 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#313 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:41 am

I couldn't care too much about this development how it transpired and whether it was going to be built or otherwise. My major worry is if in future they want to redevelop this ugly and badly designed stadium (it's not world class and only good for cricket and AFL...let's be honest about it), it will be much more expensive and harder to do. Anyhow I'll give these guys the benefit of the doubt, let them make money and hopefully use it wisely, then we'll talk about rebuilding this monstrosity in twenty years time. My two-cents worth.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3926
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 375 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#314 Post by rev » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:24 am
Builder announced for Adelaide Oval Hotel.
https://www.adelaideoval.com.au/news/bu ... val-hotel/

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
Good about time, get on with it.
Pre-fabrication work will commence immediately off-site with initial on-site construction activity beginning in August ahead of major construction works starting at the conclusion of the AFL home and away season;
There's a chance Port and Crows could play finals, and if they finish 5th & 6th, that's two finals games at Adelaide Oval. Will be interesting to see how it plays out with construction work starting. And especially with a completion time of mid 2020..during the AFL season.

d3v310per
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

[APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#315 Post by d3v310per » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:25 pm

A note from SACA President, Andrew Sinclair

Dear SACA Members,

Earlier this week the SACA Board gave its final approval for the Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority to progress with its Adelaide Oval Hotel project.

This has led to today’s announcement by AOSMA that work on the hotel will start immediately, with South Australian company Built Environs the successful tenderer.

Since plans for the hotel were revealed in November, the SACA Board and Executive have continued to do our due diligence for the project and have worked through our queries with AOSMA.

For a project of this magnitude, it was important that the SACA Board had all the necessary information to make an informed decision.

I am pleased to advise you, the SACA Members, that we strongly believe the Adelaide Oval Hotel will be a great addition to the oval’s facilities and create positive returns to cricket.

Importantly, the build program will be completed in mid-2020 with the 138-room hotel opening in September 2020 in time for the ICC T20 men’s World Cup.

Pre-fabrication work will begin immediately off-site with major on-site construction activity starting in August.

The impressive design is being overseen by COX Architecture and project managed by Mott MacDonald, the same team responsible for the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval.

The hotel will be built on two elevated pods that follow the external curves of the eastern façade of the stadium and will not encroach on the plaza.

The works will not impact on the oval’s existing access points including the plaza and atrium entry.

We plan to hold a Member briefing session to provide an opportunity for Members to see the stunning plans and ask questions. We will advise the date of this briefing shortly.

Regards,

Andrew Sinclair
SACA President

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gnrc_louis, Google [Bot], normh and 11 guests