[COM] 2 King William Street | Refurb and rooftop bar

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: 2 King William Street | Refurb and rooftop bar

#61 Post by Shahkar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 am

Just read on AdelaideNow that it has been approved! :mrgreen:

BRADDO75
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#62 Post by BRADDO75 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:42 am

Aparently to start fit-out Oct 2013. Pricing out in the market for electrical, so pretty sure it's on it's way.
Anyone know if a builder has be announced as yet?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:45 am

They were calling for tenders in Tuesday paper so i think its still a couple of weeks away from closure yet.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#64 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:36 pm

BRADDO75 wrote:Aparently to start fit-out Oct 2013. Pricing out in the market for electrical, so pretty sure it's on it's way.
Can someone explain to me the overall concept of this proposal. The podium idea has me kind of lost...

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#65 Post by Shahkar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
BRADDO75 wrote:Aparently to start fit-out Oct 2013. Pricing out in the market for electrical, so pretty sure it's on it's way.
Can someone explain to me the overall concept of this proposal. The podium idea has me kind of lost...
The podium is for 231-245 Waymouth St, not this development.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by Shahkar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 am

Upgrade of 2 King William St, Adelaide - the old Westpac building - one example of unlocking value of heritage properties

A MAJOR refurbishment of the former Westpac building on King William St is a prime example of the opportunities presented by reborn heritage properties, the project's architects say.

The $10.5 million project will transform the disused, state heritage-listed building into six levels of office accommodation above ground floor and mezzanine level retail space.

A restaurant is being proposed for the top floor of the building, along with a roof-top bar.

The project ends a long history of failed proposals at the site, which were unable to overcome the difficulties associated with heritage property developments.

However, DASH Architects director and heritage consultant on the project David Holland says the project represents the value of the "heritage transaction" - where building owners, authorities and other stakeholders facilitate the rehabilitation of heritage buildings and allow them to "pay their own way" without losing their inherent value.

"Refurbishing and rehabilitating old buildings is difficult," he said.

"The requirements of the councils, codes and standards become more onerous every year.

"As do tenants' expectations. These problems are exacerbated when the building is heritage listed.

"But the state and locally heritage-listed former Westpac Building is a case study in both the challenges faced but also, when conditions are right, the opportunities inherent in such buildings."

Built between 1939 and 1942, the former Westpac building retains its heritage features including its character facade and banking chamber.

An imposing doorway made of bronze panels framed by granite blocks is also a feature that will be retained.

After paying $6.5 million for the building last year, the Duxton Group has embarked on the building's first major upgrade since 1981.

Lead architect on the project, Hassell associate Brendan Le Var says addressing earthquake requirements remains the major challenge.

"There's significant work being undertaken to ensure that challenge is overcome while respecting the heritage aspect," he said. A 27.5cm concrete core will be inserted into the building to offer structural support, running from the basement to the roof.

"The cost is significant," Mr Le Var said. "It's not the cheapest way of doing it but it's a balancing act between efficiency and economic return and the flipside which is to respect the heritage."

Mr Le Var, who has worked in the UK and across the country, is encouraged by the city's attitude to heritage.

"Other places are very prescriptive but here the attitude is that the best outcome is to get the building used. It's really refreshing," he said.

Mr Holland is a guest speaker at next week's Australian Heritage Conference.

dbcrow
Gold-Member ;)

#67 Post by dbcrow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:42 am

Wow, what an amazing view from up there. Given how well the Gallerie rooftop bar has done on Waymouth, a view like that will make this venue a great place to be.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Will » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:40 pm

DA/224/2013 WESTPAC
2-12 King William Street
ADELAIDE SA 5000
Install temporary signage around base of building (12 months) and attach banners to existing flag poles
(2).
18/03/2013 $4,800 Category 1

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:20 pm

That looks like a great place to have a rooftop bar. If it was coupled with a good selection of beer (Mountain Goat, Moo Brew, Sierra Nevada...) then it'll be wonderful.

Waewick

[COM] Re: U/R: 2 King William Street | Refurb and rooftop bar

#70 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Bit of advertising

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#71 Post by Phantom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Awesome to see! Cheers Waewick! I honestly thought this one died or something. I haven't heard anything about it, barring what I've read in this thread... When a thread isn't posted on in 11 months, you kinda lose faith. Hahaha.

Has anyone else got any new developments on this one?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by jk1237 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Phantom wrote:Awesome to see! Cheers Waewick! I honestly thought this one died or something. I haven't heard anything about it, barring what I've read in this thread... When a thread isn't posted on in 11 months, you kinda lose faith. Hahaha.

The only thing Ive noticed is that the scaffolding has meant a loss of the turning lane from North Tce into K W Street. The amount of traffic congestion that such a minor thing is casuing westbound along North Tce is incredible. Quite amusing really, hopefully drivers might get the hint about avoiding North Tce as a route to get from the eastern suburbs to the western suburbs

Waewick

#73 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Phantom wrote:Awesome to see! Cheers Waewick! I honestly thought this one died or something. I haven't heard anything about it, barring what I've read in this thread... When a thread isn't posted on in 11 months, you kinda lose faith. Hahaha.

I work nearby, there has been lots of work done on the building, which it needed.

I am excited about the Art deco look which I am a fan of.

Heath Loxton
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#74 Post by Heath Loxton » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Hi,
how is this development progressing?

Cheers, heath Loxton. :) (my first post on here)!
Cheers, Heath Loxton. :)

Heath Loxton
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#75 Post by Heath Loxton » Sat May 10, 2014 11:49 pm

2 king William street, how is it progressing now?

PS: I did see 2 workmen in the building on a Saturday through the window facing king William street!
Cheers, Heath Loxton. :)