[SWP] Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[SWP] Re: Central Market

#46 Post by Norman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:36 am

Looks incredible! This is a design that Adelaide deserves. A great complement to the existing markets.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:38 am

Yes! Build it. And yes! Make it taller!!

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by rhino » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:45 am

Very impressive! This will be great for the precinct!
cheers,
Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by Will » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:07 pm

World Class!

:banana:

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by bm7500 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:10 pm

This really is sensational for the city! Great design that speaks to the existing markets, 24hr access, connectivity between laneways/streets and a focus on dining/retail for the lower levels.

The only thing that can make this better is for the main tower to exceed 153m
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#51 Post by nath91 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Can't believe this is a legitimate proposal in Adelaide, absolutely amazing and just what this area needs.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#52 Post by baytram366 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 pm

Exactly what Adelaide needs. This better happen
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

ml69
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by ml69 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 pm

bm7500 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:10 pm
This really is sensational for the city! Great design that speaks to the existing markets, 24hr access, connectivity between laneways/streets and a focus on dining/retail for the lower levels.

The only thing that can make this better is for the main tower to exceed 153m
WOW WOW WOW!

Love the laneways and public rooftop elements which will incorporate restaurants.

Just make the resi tower 150m+ and it would be perfect.

I can imagine that resi tower selling out really fast if the apartments were well-designed.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by muzzamo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm

Amazing to think that Westpac stood alone as the only building in its height class for close enough to 3 decades.

Once this is complete we will have 4 buildings of that height.

The one thing that is missing here is an underground link to Victoria square tram stop - I know this has been talked about in the past. It would have been nice to improve CBD pedestrian access to that extent and also to have traffic light free pedestrian access to this new precinct.

Nort

#55 Post by Nort » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:16 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm
Amazing to think that Westpac stood alone as the only building in its height class for close enough to 3 decades.

Once this is complete we will have 4 buildings of that height.
Given the time the development will take it's likely that by the time it happens there will be 6-7 in that range.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by phenom » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:25 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm
The one thing that is missing here is an underground link to Victoria square tram stop - I know this has been talked about in the past. It would have been nice to improve CBD pedestrian access to that extent and also to have traffic light free pedestrian access to this new precinct.
Agree fully. Activating the area to a whole new level is awesome but it's already pretty terrible for pedestrian access during busy times and getting worse. Not to mention the infuriating traffic lights the ACC installed to prioritise car access for their car park into the market car park. One of the most infuriatingly ridiculous ways to frustrate pedestrian movement for the sake of a couple of minimal access benefits for vehicles. No matter how many signs they put up telling pedestrians to obey the lights, they don't and won't because you end up standing there for long periods when there are no cars entering/exiting and meanwhile you miss the main crossing lights that are just metres away. I hope that isn't indicative of the 'thought' that ACC are putting into future pedestrian movements.

PeFe

#57 Post by PeFe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:27 pm

Here is the In Daily article on the Central Market proposal.
Central Market Arcade's $400 million redevelopment

A 35-storey tower with a hotel, apartments and offices will be built above a redeveloped Adelaide Central Market Arcade as part of a $400 million project unveiled today.

Adelaide-based global architecture firm Woods Bagot won the contract to produce the designs, which revive grand red-brick arches – sympathetic to the former Grote Street façade that was partially demolished in the 1960s – and feature podium roof terraces and a new social and commercial precinct.

The Adelaide City Council will retain ownership of the retail and public spaces, with developers ICD Property and Nanshen Singapore to own and manage the central tower.

The tower will be one of Adelaide’s tallest buildings, standing just short of the 135m-tall, 37-storey Adelaidean development under construction on Frome Street and the 39-storey hotel development approved for the corner of King William and Currie streets.

Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor described the launch of the project as “a defining moment in the Adelaide CBD’s history” that would “set the market up as a key destination for at least the next half century”.

She said the project was expected to increase the number of visitors to the Adelaide Central Market from nine million each year to 10 million.

“This is a very exciting day for the city – we’ve really paid great attention to the future that both the legacy and the future that we want and this is all about building Adelaide as the go-to destination,” she told reporters this morning.

“To have residential and hotel and office accommodation right there in the heart of our city, connected to our iconic central market and our market plaza is only going to benefit our city.

“This is going to be an international destination.”

Project design leader Alex Hall of Woods Bagot said: “This is a design exploration of the market’s heritage beyond just a façade treatment and makes its brick arches – which have always been emblematic of the market – part of the whole experience.”

The council hopes to begin demolition of the existing Central Market Arcade in May next year – a delay from the original target of September this year, which the council says was to allow the 61 traders currently operating in the arcade the opportunity to earn over the busy Christmas trading period.

Each of the traders will have to negotiate with the council if they wish to re-enter the market arcade after the development.

With the contract now signed, the council and the developers will have to present the project through the State Commission Assessment Panel for approval.

A spokesperson for the city council said it would contribute $28 million towards the project, with the developers funding the balance.

But city councillor Phil Martin disputed the $28 million figure, although he said he was legally prevented from saying more publicly.

“I am gagged, but I can tell you $28 million dollars isn’t correct,” he told InDaily.

The Central Market itself will not be renovated as part of the project.

ICD Property managing director Matt Khoo told reporters the development would use world’s best practise construction techniques to minimise the impact on the adjacent market traders.

But the Adelaide Central Market Authority warned last month that the construction would likely have a large impact on central market traders.

Last month, ACMA chair Nick Begakis told a council committee meeting the market would require extra financial assistance from the council during construction.

He said 260 fewer car parks would be available for customers during that period.

“One of our directors manages the arcade … the Adelaide Arcade, and he says that trade is going down about 45 per cent,” he told the committee.

“We are already having, or have had, conversations with administration about how we can strengthen the traders for what is probably going to be three years of construction and disruption and how we can bolster their trade.

“It’s going to be difficult.”

Verschoor said she did not know whether the council would be providing any extra funding to the Adelaide Central Market Authority to help bolster trade during the construction period – any new funding would have to go through the council’s usual budget processes.

But she said the council was working with current market arcade traders to help them relocate to a different tenancy, and supporting the central market traders by ensuring no net loss of car parking by opening up the old bus station site on Grote Street during the construction period.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2019/ ... velopment/

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by phenom » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:41 pm

"Last month, ACMA chair Nick Begakis told a council committee meeting the market would require extra financial assistance from the council during construction.
He said 260 fewer car parks would be available for customers during that period."
Sure, 260 fewer car parks out of how many in the surrounding area? Note I'm not anti-car at all but this idea in Adelaide that people demand to park just metres from anywhere they want to go is kind of ridiculous at this point. I get this is an ambit claim for compensation (well done Nick) but it speaks to a certain kind of complaint culture. Is he going to offer to pay extra to the council once the development is complete because of all the new business it will generate? Didn't think so.

Having lived in the south-west CBD for ~15 years, I'm very familiar with the ebb and flow of market peaks and I find that even when Sturt Street on-street parking is full, there's usually quite a few empty (free) spaces on Gilbert, not to mention free tram travel within the city and a large number of multi-story parking stations that are largely empty after about 5:30pm on weekdays. I find it hard to believe the market would be affected by this, since peak time for the market is usually outside of 'normal' business hours when surrounding multi-story carparks - and streets - aren't otherwise that busy.

Glad that indaily doesn't allow easy commenting as I imagine the cadre of AdelaideNow sounding regulars that used to comment on everything would be all over this development moaning about how they are going to kill the markets with a minor temporary reduction in car parks.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#59 Post by SRW » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:11 pm

phenom wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:41 pm
"Last month, ACMA chair Nick Begakis told a council committee meeting the market would require extra financial assistance from the council during construction.
He said 260 fewer car parks would be available for customers during that period."
Sure, 260 fewer car parks out of how many in the surrounding area? Note I'm not anti-car at all but this idea in Adelaide that people demand to park just metres from anywhere they want to go is kind of ridiculous at this point. I get this is an ambit claim for compensation (well done Nick) but it speaks to a certain kind of complaint culture. Is he going to offer to pay extra to the council once the development is complete because of all the new business it will generate? Didn't think so.

Having lived in the south-west CBD for ~15 years, I'm very familiar with the ebb and flow of market peaks and I find that even when Sturt Street on-street parking is full, there's usually quite a few empty (free) spaces on Gilbert, not to mention free tram travel within the city and a large number of multi-story parking stations that are largely empty after about 5:30pm on weekdays. I find it hard to believe the market would be affected by this, since peak time for the market is usually outside of 'normal' business hours when surrounding multi-story carparks - and streets - aren't otherwise that busy.

Glad that indaily doesn't allow easy commenting as I imagine the cadre of AdelaideNow sounding regulars that used to comment on everything would be all over this development moaning about how they are going to kill the markets with a minor temporary reduction in car parks.
Not to mention, the Lord Mayor stated an equivalent amount of carparks will be made available at the old bus station across the road (presumably meaning the metro bus layover will relocate) during construction.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by SRW » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm very happy with this. Two of my absolute musts have been met: 24/7 access between Grote and Gouger, and the reinstatement of the brick arch motif.

I'm neither here nor there on the tower elements. It's a nice design, but it would suit the location better if the Hilton site were also being redeveloped. Why the Hilton haven't sought to be involved stumps me -- they've got an opportunity to renew and retain their prime location.
Keep Adelaide Weird