News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2041 Post by thecityguy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Yea the channel 7 showed some pretty impressive interiors! Was very surprised when they showed the entrance, didn't suit all the effort they had put into the inside at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2042 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:42 pm

thecityguy wrote:Yea the channel 7 showed some pretty impressive interiors! Was very surprised when they showed the entrance, didn't suit all the effort they had put into the inside at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The exterior signage is merely using the old Edge Church signage, which was the last of the original Greater Union signage (when they replaced the original signage that included the session times)!

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2043 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:03 pm

But why such low-budget signage in the 90s friends-style font that looks like something out of a cheap kebab shop window?

Nathan

#2044 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:15 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:But why such low-budget signage in the 90s friends-style font that looks like something out of a cheap kebab shop window?
I think they're trying to look "independent". It's utterly fucking woeful branding though — it doesn't match their offering at all.

I see this shit often though. Usually a result of handing branding over to an ad or marketing agency, instead of graphic designers.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2045 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Agree completely, the branding is beyond horrible.

Wallis even looks better.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2046 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:04 pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/3 ... ing/#page1

Tbh, not that impressed by the fit out as shown in that report, but I do appreciate the facility reopening and will happily check it out soon. But I don't imagine my loyalty to the Eastend Cinemas will be challenged.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#2047 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:37 am

This was genuinely 10x better. Well, 3x better. But it was still better.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2048 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:45 pm

Visited the GU Film House in the City tonight.

First, they've done a brilliant job with the new cinemas. Lovely leather seats, nice little ledges for cup holders/something to rest food on. Had the rocky road popcorn - served in something resembling a desk drawer. Was something different. Reminded me quite a bit of cinema 7 of Reading West Lakes.

The original 5 cinemas are in their same spots, with the 6th cinema in the location of the old foyer/candy bar of the original cinema (and they've kept the polished concrete floors that Edge Church did for the last few years of their time in the building), hence why the box office is in the tenancy next door (which was disused since the early 2000's when Multiplex moved out following the Oaks redevelopment). They've also reversed the numbering of the cinemas (the old cinemas had 1-2 in the basement and 3-5 on the top floor, now it's 1-3 upstairs, 4 on the ground floor, and 5-6 in the basement). I assume 1 & 3 are the VMax cinemas (as they were the original 'Super Screen' cinemas in the original).

As fantastic a job they've done with the complex, I really can't see the complex being viable long term. It was us and one other person in our session tonight, and the box office area was dead quiet, so I suspect the average screening is in front of single digit/low teens numbers. I hope it picks up over time, but if not, it could be quite the bust for Greater Union.

ghs

#2049 Post by ghs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:40 pm

The Bob Jane T- Mart site on Gouger street has been sold. My mail is that a developer has bought the property
and is planning to build an apartment building.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2050 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:36 pm

If that is the case, I hope its a nice and tall one.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2051 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:46 am

Great to see this run down building shown some love. Note this building recently had Heritage listing rejected so developers could have demolished it.

Currently:
Type: Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/492/2016/1
Lodgement Date: 02/11/2016
Description: Change of use from office to cafe on ground floor with new extension to rear and associated internal and external alterations, removal of walls on first level to create open space office with balcony - STAGE 1 - DEMOLITION ONLY
Future:

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2052 Post by mshagg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Nice find. Amazing what a stonking big apartment building does for surrounding properties!

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#2053 Post by stronic » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:26 pm

Looks great, but I'm not sure about the blue. Bit garish. We'll see.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2054 Post by Will » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:41 pm

From the Urban Developer:
New Tenant Trends May Change How Adelaide’s Office Sector Operates

8th November 2016 | Category: Commercial, Companies, News, People, SA, Transactions | Staff Writer

Adelaide’s office market faces challenging conditions, and tenant sentiment is shifting more towards the first impression ‘wow’ factor in a more selective search for accommodation.

CBRE Advisory & Transaction Services Office Director Andrew Bahr said quality was taking precedence in the current market, with demand being largely underpinned by lease expiries opposed to business growth.
“First impressions are more important today than ever before, with owners who can pull out the stops – including refurbished foyers, amenities and end of trip facilities – securing the bulk of tenant movements,” Mr Bahr said.
“The weaker demand conditions, while restrictive for market growth, have helped elevate the level of quality on offer, with owners having to adopt alternative strategies to entice new tenants, particularly in the secondary market.”
Mr Bahr said the outlook was more positive over the next three years, with it coinciding with the 10 year anniversary of the last major construction phase in the city.
“From 2017 to 2019, we expect to see a lot more lease expiry movement, which will help boost transaction activity. Furthermore, that flight to quality is as real in Adelaide as it everywhere else, which will continue to put pressure on the secondary market,” Mr Bahr said.
Mr Bahr said the development of Adelaide’s newest office precinct – the $235 million General Post Office (GPO) project – would help boost confidence in the market.
“The recent pre-commitment from the South Australian Attorney-General’s Department to occupy the first tower in the precinct is expected to create some movement in the market,” Mr Bahr said.
“The GPO development is a prime example of the emerging next generation of office accommodation, which will reshape our market and underpin tenant demand.”
CBRE’s latest MarketView report highlighted the completion of two major office refurbishments at 1 King William Street and 81 Waymouth Street underpinned a rise in office vacancy to 15.8% in July 2016 – the highest level in 15 years.
Rising vacancy has also seen a decline in effective rents and incentives now at all-time highs in the Adelaide CBD

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#2055 Post by slenderman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Not sure if this has been covered before, but how old is this building at the podium of Chesser House? If it's an old facade, why on earth were they allowed to do this to it? It looks horrible.