News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2371 Post by SRW » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:59 pm

“Certainly it’s all private money so one assumes that they (hotel companies) have done their due diligence and they’ve done their work to make sure it’s a reasonable investment that they can get a return on,” Horne said.
Exactly. For established operators it's a matter of compete or be out-competed. And while I agree that the state doesn't do enough to market Adelaide to interstate and international tourists, there's nothing stopping some of these operators from doing their bit to get bums in beds - especially when many are big international chains. The more plentiful and affordable rooms the city has to offer, the easier it is to get tourists (and events) here.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2372 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Ian Horne, always the voice against new players upsetting the status quo.

SBD

#2373 Post by SBD » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:30 pm

How much of the business of these brands in major cities is tourists, rather than conferences, events, and business travel?

[Shuz]

#2374 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:20 am

I'm a little perplexed where the demand for all these hotel rooms is coming from - even if the bulk of clientele is corporate travellers. The prices that some of the chains charge for what are very basically offerings is extortionate. Doesn't seem like a satisfactory explanation.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2375 Post by how good is he » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:50 am

Maybe its due more to the supply side - developers obviously are able to get more rooms approved/built on a site than say apartments and so it may make the project more feasible. Also they can get away without having the onerous car parking requirements that apartments/zoning may require. Also if developers can get the hotels to commit to a lease or a min. guaranteed return [safety net] this may give more security to the banks so it's easier to finance the deal. So in short, the feasibility/financing could be better/easier. The alternative to new hotels with similar characteristics is new student accom. - so which would you prefer?

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#2376 Post by cmet » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 am

For hotels etc it’s typically harder to get loans - you need more equity up front etc ^

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#2377 Post by Jaymz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Walking down the southern end of KW as I often do, and noticed that the shore repair shop and boutique at 381 have been vacated. A sign in the window says that demolition is commencing soon. Anyone have any news/goss/rumours/facts on what might be happening here? It's the property directly next door to Quest.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2378 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:50 am

I'm sadly very excited about this. The top of the building has been left to decay and looks terrible.
Application Number: DA/671/2019
Type: Development Plan Consent
Lodged: 13/09/2019
Latest Decision:
Location: SANTOS BUILDING, 56-62 Flinders Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Refurbishment of the existing Corporate signage atop the existing building

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#2379 Post by Prodical » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 am

Changing Light's Vision
Attachments
Light's Vision.JPG

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#2380 Post by floplo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 am

Realm and Kodo seem to stand aside the main CBD core from this perspective Image

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2381 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:56 am

The Australia Post site was listed for sale yesterday. At just under 18,000 sqm it is the largest CBD site to be offered to the market. This is a massive opportunity for Adelaide. Hopefully there is some grand thinking by whoever the purchaser ends up being.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#2382 Post by Bob » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 am

Ben wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:56 am
The Australia Post site was listed for sale yesterday. At just under 18,000 sqm it is the largest CBD site to be offered to the market. This is a massive opportunity for Adelaide. Hopefully there is some grand thinking by whoever the purchaser ends up being.
Interesting - only yesterday an article in InDaily identified this site as one of several sites for potential social housing.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2019/ ... l-housing/

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#2383 Post by phenom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:28 am

Bob wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 am
Ben wrote:
Interesting - only yesterday an article in InDaily identified this site as one of several sites for potential social housing.

Interesting I note in that article the ACC has apparently also identified the volleyball court, which of course just happens to be slightly over 1500sqm (therefore is subject to 'airport heights' only), appears to be owned by the ACC (which makes it more likely they will develop it) and also is the only parcel of land discussed in a part of Adelaide where tall buildings (the bete noire of the ACC) is allowed.

I don't want to be negative but I've got a feeling a prime piece of airport height only land is going to be turned into one of ACC's 'Adelaide as mini-Paris (sans La Defense district because that ruins our narrative) 5 storeys everywhere' developments.

Patrick_27

#2384 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:59 pm

phenom wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:28 am
Bob wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 am
Ben wrote:

Interesting I note in that article the ACC has apparently also identified the volleyball court, which of course just happens to be slightly over 1500sqm (therefore is subject to 'airport heights' only), appears to be owned by the ACC (which makes it more likely they will develop it) and also is the only parcel of land discussed in a part of Adelaide where tall buildings (the bete noire of the ACC) is allowed.

I don't want to be negative but I've got a feeling a prime piece of airport height only land is going to be turned into one of ACC's 'Adelaide as mini-Paris (sans La Defense district because that ruins our narrative) 5 storeys everywhere' developments.
Any word on where Aus Post are relocating to? I've also said that the old Masters site at the Airport would be ideal considering it can lessen the distance that air mail has to travel.

The Aus Post site in the city and neighbouring retail building as well as the site in and around the old bus depot really need attention and careful planning to become mixed use hubs.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#2385 Post by Jaymz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:28 pm

There's a piling rig parked on the now cleared site at 64 South Terrace. Anyone have any info on what might be happening here?