[CAN] 20-22 Currie St | 123m | 31lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[CAN] Re: #Approved: 20-22 Currie St - 123m, 31 lvls

#631 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:44 am

frank1 wrote:gees louise, why is it that every time there is a problem. Can't one development in this city go without criticism. Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :( :( :( :(
Debate and differing viewpoints are always extremely healthy. Whether it's in the Board Room of a company or in Council Chambers or wherever. It's exactly why companies apoint a board rather than giving one person absolute power. It is the best model for decision making. If everyone agreed what would be the point?

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#632 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Wow, Cr Wilkinson is really starting to get on my nerves.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#633 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:26 pm

omada wrote:Did Harbo and Sandy WIlkinson care about these old buildings before this proposal? Certainly doesn't look like it, I didn't see any policy of renewal and gentrification of Gilbert Street.. If they had a plan for this area maybe I would consider what they had to say .. why does it take the prospect of development for them to suddenly recognize some old forgotten buildings in the city...
Very true.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#634 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 am

From The Messenger:
Councillor waves trade centre plan

Chris Day

26Feb08

AN INTERNATIONAL trade centre to promote Adelaide as a place to work, invest and live is being considered by the City Council.

The centre would target overseas investment missions, visiting ambassadors, sister city delegations and holidaying business executives.

It would become ``a magnet for business visitors to Adelaide and a must see attraction'', according to a two-page concept report by City councillor and entrepreneur Francis Wong.

The centre would have exhibition space, meeting and conference rooms and a cafe or restaurant.

Cr Wong said it could be set up as part of the planned Wave Tower, in Currie St, which is poised to become the city's new landmark building.

``We need a wow factor and we should be talking to (the developers),'' Cr Wong said last week.

The centre would promote SA exports from the wine, manufacturing and technology sectors to countries including the US and China.

It would house State and Federal Government staff from Austrade and the Department of Trade & Economic Development.

``We need one centre where people can go and talk to the governments and other trade groups,'' Cr Wong said.

``This is a goer and will show that Adelaide is a can do city.''

The council would play a key role in running the centre but funding from the state and federal governments would likely be needed.

Cr Wong hopes to get council backing for the project within two months and have a business plan in place by the end of the year.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#635 Post by Pikey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Hell. Yes.

Adelaide's World Trade centre, couldn't think of a better suited tower.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#636 Post by Will » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:28 pm

This is an excellent idea. It's good to see that there are people in council with real vision for Adelaide, people who are focussed on tomorrow instead of yesterday.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#637 Post by Hippodamus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:28 pm

i think it is potentially a great idea, but i have to ask the question: who would visit the centre apart from maybe interstate ministers, students on excursion and the occassional tourist with nothing better to do...

don't mean to be cynical here (sorry) but it just sounds like another tourism office type arrangement that the Council can get behind and say "look at this flashy place we have created", but I believe this should be thought about more carefully otherwise it may have the same fate as the National Wine Centre...

i mean - from the article, it seems that this facility is to promote South Australian industry, and also market SA and Adelaide as the place for investment and lifestyle choice. But shouldn't this money be invested in placing this facility (or many smaller scale ones, such as stands or display offices, which do not cost as much) within interstate and overseas shopping malls, expos, hotels, and other places where large numbers of investors and potential future SA migrants may congregate...?

so in conclusion, how will it's main objective be achieved if it is placed in Adelaide? sure it will get a good wrap from confident and optimistic journalists and Sensational Adelaide members; but will is goal of targetting a wider than Adelaide audience be achieved best this way with optimal exposure to others over the border and across the ocean...

just my thoughts...

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#638 Post by skyliner » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:49 pm

Pikey wrote:
Adelaide's World Trade centre, couldn't think of a better suited tower.
Amen to this mate! As you say, it is visionary and promotes confidence in Adelaide and is a necessary part of the state's future when considering the mining and world focus from such, increased real estate values, low office space available, a bouyant economy on the rise, more interest from the eastern states, increasing population. and the recent state promotion in the Financial Reveiw.

Everyone I have shown the building renders to has commented as to it's unusual appearance and the mark it leaves in memories completely uninterested in building development. This is what is needed - such a centre in such a building.- one of an international and not provincial style.

Yes there may be other agendas present here, but on the surface of it all, it is just what we need.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#639 Post by AtD » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:10 pm

Hippodamus: Think of it as a concierge for corporations. Yes, getting them here is half the battle, but once they're here, they'll have a central office to assist in the issues of foreign trade and a foreign culture.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#640 Post by Edgar » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:33 am

AWTC.....

Sounds good. :lol:
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#641 Post by adam73837 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:17 pm

I think it's great that the Currie Street Tower has been approved. :D :D :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :D :D I'm also interseted to learn more about this 'adelaide International Trade Centre' Project. Is the 'Trade Centre' Project goiing to be the Currie Street Tower Building? Cause I'm a little confused with all the wording from the article that was posted from the messenger. :?:
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#642 Post by Hippodamus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:21 pm

can some please confirm clearly and consicely that 20-22 Currie St. has been approved (with amendments?)...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#643 Post by Shuz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:28 pm

It has already been stated SEVERAL times, the amended design HAS been approved!

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#644 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:56 am

It has been approved long time ago, but an appeal was made few months ago in request for the developer to not demolish the old buildings at the site and try to incorporate them.

I am not too sure if this will happen, but either way, this proposal has been approved. Now awaiting for naming rights, and yes, the 'Adelaide World Trade Centre' naming rights for this building was just a suggestion from the councilor, no decision has been made just yet, and construction hasn't started yet, and as far as I am concerned (if I am correct though), no application has yet to be lodged into the ACC for any news on the construction of the building.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#645 Post by Will » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:07 pm

Due to the building's large expanse of leasable office space, I would think that construction can only begin once around 35% (at the minimum) has been pre-committed. Although I could be wrong, as I was with Coglin Place and 400 KWS which appear to have both started as speculative developments. However the construction costs regarding this building may make a speculative development unlikely here.