[CAN] 20-22 Currie St | 123m | 31lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
The Proboscis Monkey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[CAN] Re: #APP: 20-22 Currie St | 123m | 31lvls | Office

#826 Post by The Proboscis Monkey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:39 pm

what does this say about the future of the city's architecture? This was going to be the city's spectacular centrepiece and now its gone, theres nothing exciting on the horizon and developers are going to be conservative until the markets return to normal, I fear were going to see more bland boxes

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#827 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:14 pm

karlp wrote:It is going to get worse, much worse. Don't believe the spin that Adelaide's immune from all this. We're not.

Rumours are swirling about several other proposed city developments on the brink of collapse.

This is just the start.
and
The Proboscis Monkey wrote:what does this say about the future of the city's architecture? This was going to be the city's spectacular centrepiece and now its gone, theres nothing exciting on the horizon and developers are going to be conservative until the markets return to normal, I fear were going to see more bland boxes
guys, chill.

karlp, do you have specific details about other developments on the brink of collapse? if so please share in the relevant threads.

TPM, there's several appealing developments still in progress such as; Globe Apartments, 57-69 Wyatt St, The Precinct, Edge, Wave, etc. Sure, there may be a few bland boxes too...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#828 Post by adam73837 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:01 pm

<SOB> :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry:
I saw that article in the paper today as well. I was really hoping that this would go ahead. It would have set a new benchmark and would have encouraged developers to push for taller buildings and for architects to expand their horizons. I guess it was just never meant to be :cry: . As soon as I get a Uni degree, I'm outta here! (I'm not criticising Adelaide for this being dumped, but I doubt something of this size will be put forward anytime soon). <SIGH>.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#829 Post by Paulns » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Wayno wrote:TPM, there's several appealing developments still in progress such as; Globe Apartments, 57-69 Wyatt St, The Precinct, Edge, Wave, etc. Sure, there may be a few bland boxes too...
I agree the thing is these developments are already about to start or currantly under construction anyway.
adam73837 wrote: saw that article in the paper today as well. I was really hoping that this would go ahead. It would have set a new benchmark and would have encouraged developers to push for taller buildings and for architects to expand their horizons.
This is now the problem/$64,000 question, What's the future for achitecture, style and new buildings in Adelaide now????
I loved the design of this building because it was exactly what Adelaide needed, something out there and different.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#830 Post by ricecrackers » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:26 pm

the future is practically nothing of significance will get built in Adelaide for about 10 years

dont worry about the brown boxes... they wont get built either..there wont be the need for the extra office space for a while

its happened before, it will happen that way again

i guess the site will have to change its logo
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#831 Post by Shuz » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:32 pm

I think SA Water was a good starting benchmark for the new era of architectural expectation; 57-69 Wyatt street holds much promise, and i think 400KWS and Edge will be quiet suprises.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#832 Post by crawf » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:50 pm

the future is practically nothing of significance will get built in Adelaide for about 10 years

dont worry about the brown boxes... they wont get built either..there wont be the need for the extra office space for a while

:roll:

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#833 Post by ricecrackers » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:22 pm

crawf wrote:

:roll:
if you've got evidence to the contrary i'd like to hear it mate
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#834 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 pm

One door closes another three open.
Don't worry Adelaide's not shrinking, be happy lets move on to the next project :)

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#835 Post by ricecrackers » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:22 pm

ynotsfables wrote:One door closes another three open.
Don't worry Adelaide's not shrinking, be happy lets move on to the next project :)
well at least we've got a few years of capital works we can look forward to, provided the state govt can stay in business

this recession is going to bite guys and it will be worse than the last one...we havent even started yet

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#836 Post by crawf » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Time will tell

Times are definitely tough at the moment, however there has been reports that SA will be save from recession.

And with the news that SA could get a $15bn submarine contract aswell as all the other defence and resource projects we could be well and truly laughing to the bank next decade. Though for now its going to be very quiet in the construction scene not just in Adelaide but Australia-wide.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#837 Post by Will » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:01 am

adam73837 wrote:<SOB> :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry:
I saw that article in the paper today as well. I was really hoping that this would go ahead. It would have set a new benchmark and would have encouraged developers to push for taller buildings and for architects to expand their horizons. I guess it was just never meant to be :cry: . As soon as I get a Uni degree, I'm outta here! (I'm not criticising Adelaide for this being dumped, but I doubt something of this size will be put forward anytime soon). <SIGH>.
Another example of the toxic mentallity of the people of this city. In case you haven't realised this was dumped not because Adelaide is a hole but because of something called the GLOBAL Financial crisis. The word GLOBAL implies that it affects the whole world. And last time I checked we are in the world. This vibe that I'm getting in this thread is really sad. Some of you are making it seem that this project collapsed because it was in Adelaide. Under the current circumstances this project would have failed anywhere else in Australia.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN] Re: #ONH: 20-22 Currie St | 123m | 31lvls | Office

#838 Post by bm7500 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:49 am

Well put Will. I too am get a bit sick of reading all the negativity directed at Adelaide on here.

Maybe a "bitch thread' can be set up in the pub so that people can unload their negative drivel in there rather than smearing it accross legitimate threads. :roll:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#839 Post by rev » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 pm

ricecrackers wrote:the future is practically nothing of significance will get built in Adelaide for about 10 years

You do realise the site and plans are up for sale together as one package?
10 years? You based this on what exactly, a few doom and gloom the world is ending conspiracy theory articles on line or something? The developer him self says 4-5 years before something is built on this site. Yet you pull a magical figure of 10 years out of...thin air..
Wont be any need for extra office space in Adelaide for a while? We have one of the lowest vacancy rates on the mainland..
Bigger projects have been canned interstate already, but I don't hear them crying nothing will get built for another 10 years at least.

I actually think that in a few years when the global economy has turned around, we will see more larger developments in Adelaide because there will be a need for them. Adelaide will become a more denser city and the skyline will be more spread out. We do not have the massive state bank debt as last time.
Try not to think of this as a major loss, but rather a necessary cull.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #ONH: 20-22 Currie St | 123m | 31lvls | Office

#840 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Offtopic posts copied to relevant thread:
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 0&start=75