[U/C] Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Matt
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

#151 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Anyone got the initial plans handy for comparison?
I don't remember that spot being this underwhelming.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#152 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:21 pm
They will sure enough need to police this area once opened, otherwise I can see this becoming just another hang out for skateboarders who have ruined Victoria Square and North Terrace.
Which is mainly due to the fact that the city no longer has a skate park anymore.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#153 Post by Algernon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:40 pm

crawf wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:44 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
They will sure enough need to police this area once opened, otherwise I can see this becoming just another hang out for skateboarders who have ruined Victoria Square and North Terrace.
Which is mainly due to the fact that the city no longer has a skate park anymore.
Designing spaces that are unwelcome to target groups is a whole lot easier than attracting said groups. When I was studying urban design it was quite literally called "sod-off architecture" in the literature. :lol: Things like park benches with useless arm rests for your "arm"... translation: homeless can't sleep on it. Or those little metal protrusions on concrete and wooden surfaces... translation: hey skateboarder, ollie onto this and you'll stack it. Then there is the world famous (yes, world) ploy of Adelaide City council moving on the vagrants outside the Myer Centre by blasting out Kenny G's greatest hits in Rundle Mall.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#154 Post by Goodsy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Algernon wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:40 pm
crawf wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
Designing spaces that are unwelcome to target groups is a whole lot easier than attracting said groups. When I was studying urban design it was quite literally called "sod-off architecture" in the literature. :lol: Things like park benches with useless arm rests for your "arm"... translation: homeless can't sleep on it. Or those little metal protrusions on concrete and wooden surfaces... translation: hey skateboarder, ollie onto this and you'll stack it. Then there is the world famous (yes, world) ploy of Adelaide City council moving on the vagrants outside the Myer Centre by blasting out Kenny G's greatest hits in Rundle Mall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_architecture

claybro

#155 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Algernon wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:40 pm
crawf wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
What ever happened to just dealing with the actual problems instead of contorting ourselves with these expensive and ridiculous workarounds which only move the problem elsewhere? I have seen in Perth, which has a big homeless/loitering problem in the CBD, crazy solutions such as bright flashing strobe type lights in dark doorways, misting sprays on timers in alcoves and the previous mentioned annoying music. Last I checked, it was illegal to be intoxicated and asleep in a public place, and police have the powers to move people on for no real reason. How about, if skate boards are the problem, rebuild the damn skate park, and then make a bylaw prohibiting skateboarding in various locations. And then actually police it. How about building a proper homeless centre where the unfortunate folks asleep in the doorways can be moved on to- by law if necessary, where they can have a shower, medical check up, feed, and then housed appropriately. How about some adequate housing for these unfortunates or those that have just "stepped off" in life.

[Shuz]

#156 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Claybro, that's far too much common sense for the government to understand let alone actually apply in practice.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.