News & Discussion: Low/Mid-Rise CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
stronic
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Low/Mid-Rise CBD Development

#1261 Post by stronic » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:46 pm

thecityguy wrote:yet they all look dated and are basically just a few ugly trees and grass.
Like Palm trees for example.

Completely useless garden tree that looks untidy when it accumulates all the dead fronds hanging from the tree and costs money to maintain it.

Waste of time planting them in Adelaide, particularly given our sunny weather, shade trees people... SHADE TREES! :wallbash:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1262 Post by Ben » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Speaking of pointless, it seem the council are building a traffic island in Gouger street about 15-20 metre long opposite the market entrance, with space for about 3 trees. it seems very random. Maybe its part of a grander plan for the whole street?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1263 Post by Nathan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Ben wrote:Speaking of pointless, it seem the council are building a traffic island in Gouger street about 15-20 metre long opposite the market entrance, with space for about 3 trees. it seems very random. Maybe its part of a grander plan for the whole street?
It's more for improving pedestrian and cyclist safety (particularly coming from the side streets). I believe there's some other works that they're knocking off at the same time (which is why the rag was having a moan about it costing $190k)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1264 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:23 pm

Ben wrote:Speaking of pointless, it seem the council are building a traffic island in Gouger street about 15-20 metre long opposite the market entrance, with space for about 3 trees. it seems very random. Maybe its part of a grander plan for the whole street?
They are trying to improve the traffic mess that occurs between Compton and the car park entrance. It's part of a grand plan to improve the bike path to South Tce.

Dunno if the plan will work or not but here it is...
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/asse ... 4-3-15.pdf
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1265 Post by Ben » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. This is the first I've heard of it. I'm all for making it safer and easier for cyclists. Would be great if this was continued down Gouger though. It would improve the amenity greatly.

On a side note wasn't there talk years and years ago about planting trees on Grenfell/Currie/Waymouth and Pirie for shade. it is so hot down those streets in the middle of the day. Some greenery would be amazing.

Patrick_27

#1266 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Ben wrote:Thanks guys. This is the first I've heard of it. I'm all for making it safer and easier for cyclists. Would be great if this was continued down Gouger though. It would improve the amenity greatly.

On a side note wasn't there talk years and years ago about planting trees on Grenfell/Currie/Waymouth and Pirie for shade. it is so hot down those streets in the middle of the day. Some greenery would be amazing.
Whilst I agree with you, I can think of more important places within the CBD grid that could use this treatment. Currie and Grenfell Street's particularly.

EBG

#1267 Post by EBG » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:24 pm

As if Gouger St is not stuffed enough already!!!!!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1268 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:55 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Whilst I agree with you, I can think of more important places within the CBD grid that could use this treatment. Currie and Grenfell Street's particularly.
The council is probably loathe to do anything with the Currie/Grenfell corridor because of the constant rethinking of the OBahn corridor 'extension' over the past few years. Whatever they do would be undone when the ptb finally decide what it is they need to do.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1269 Post by Goodsy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:23 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Whilst I agree with you, I can think of more important places within the CBD grid that could use this treatment. Currie and Grenfell Street's particularly.
The council is probably loathe to do anything with the Currie/Grenfell corridor because of the constant rethinking of the OBahn corridor 'extension' over the past few years. Whatever they do would be undone when the ptb finally decide what it is they need to do.
what about something like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8S-bq2uVQ.

EBG

#1270 Post by EBG » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Far from improving bike safely and improving traffic flow, the councils new traffic island in Gouger St is too wide - a bike and a car cant pass each other safely. Also this part of the Gouger street also has numerous trucks bringing fresh food to the central market and to Angelakis sea food in Field Street (opposite the red entrance to China town). This island has made the situation worse not better!!
Attachments
20160121_gouger st 1.jpg
20160121_gouger st 1.jpg (350.12 KiB) Viewed 2933 times

EBG

#1271 Post by EBG » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:32 pm

A 2 story building (3-5 Hurtle Sq) near the north -west corner of Hurtle square/ Carrington St is being demolished. I not sure what is planned for this site?
Attachments
20160116_hurtle sq.jpg
20160116_hurtle sq.jpg (348.39 KiB) Viewed 2992 times

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1272 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:14 am

EBG wrote:Far from improving bike safely and improving traffic flow, the councils new traffic island in Gouger St is too wide - a bike and a car cant pass each other safely. Also this part of the Gouger street also has numerous trucks bringing fresh food to the central market and to Angelakis sea food in Field Street (opposite the red entrance to China town). This island has made the situation worse not better!!
Why would a bike/car need to pass a car/bike there?

RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

#1273 Post by RoiMartel » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:45 am

EBG wrote:A 2 story building (3-5 Hurtle Sq) near the north -west corner of Hurtle square/ Carrington St is being demolished. I not sure what is planned for this site?
Its a development called HURTLE SQUARE WEST.
I think it is already sold out. From memory I think its just 5/6 floors

Here is the link to the new development across from it; http://hurtleandco.formeprojex.com.au/ Its from the same developer

aeon
Gold-Member ;)

#1274 Post by aeon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Not sure if a picture of the result of this revamp on Wyatt St has been posted before, but went past it the other night. Click for bigger

EBG

#1275 Post by EBG » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:56 pm

Steel work is being erected on site at Corner of Flinders St and Frome St.
Attachments
20160123_frome St.jpg
20160123_frome St.jpg (248.14 KiB) Viewed 2698 times