[COM] New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $2.1b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: $1.7bn plan to build a new RAH

#136 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:19 pm

I would never compare the railway yards to Elder Park or any other well preserved park, its just a barren wasteland that should of been developed years ago.

I can't believe some people would rather another underused parkspace than a major hospital for the state!. Whats more important another park or a hospital? :roll:

Anyway I think there is more to this project because $1.7 billion is a huge amount of money, its in a prime location and the State Govenment has said it will include cafes and shops. Though it will be good if they could move the hospital more up Port Road (like right next to the Noarlunga/Belair line and sell the land between 'the marj' and Morphett St to developers.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#137 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:24 pm

Barren wasteland? How do you define land that has been in constant use for decades, and is still in constant daily use and the workplace of many, as a barren wasteland? There seems to be some barren wasteland inside a few skulls around here!
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#138 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:51 pm

rhino wrote:Barren wasteland? How do you define land that has been in constant use for decades, and is still in constant daily use and the workplace of many,
Its is, compared to Elder Park. Yes it is in use, but its overgrown with weeds and is a huge eyesore for Adelaide especially because its on our prime boulevard "North Terrace".
as a barren wasteland? There seems to be more some barren wasteland inside a few skulls around here!
Thats pretty insulting, I hope that wasn't towards me.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#139 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:59 pm

It was more of a jibe than an insult, sorry if you took it to heart.

Though the railyards may not look as inviting as Elder Park, remember it is essentially an industrial area and an essential service is carried out there. Those carrying out this service would probably (and understandably) be insulted by your (plural your) attitude towards it. Personally, I am a railfan and don't see it as a wasteland at all, and will miss it when it goes - I quite enjoy the activity that goes on there. Still, overall, I think it's a good site for the new hospital, and as an environmentalist I would like to see the railyards a bit further away from the river.
cheers,
Rhino

Mants
Legendary Member!

#140 Post by Mants » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:20 pm

rhino wrote: There seems to be some barren wasteland inside a few skulls around here!
i agree.
8)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#141 Post by AtD » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:47 pm

rhino wrote:Barren wasteland? How do you define land that has been in constant use for decades, and is still in constant daily use and the workplace of many, as a barren wasteland? There seems to be some barren wasteland inside a few skulls around here!
As a regular rail commuter, I think the area either side of the yards is a very baron wasteland. There's a large amount of land that's just dirt and weeds.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#142 Post by JAKJ » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:22 pm

Yes I agree with stumpjumper about the current RAH site being used for tertiary institutions. The Unis are doing very well for themselves at the moment and they definately need more space. The foreign students boom is great for the state in the long term, as not only do they put us Ozzies through relatively cheap tertiary education and also provide us with great new facilities 8) ... but they also raise the profile of the state to overseas investors and migration when they return home to India/China/Malaysia etc which can only be a good thing...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#143 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:55 pm

JAKJ wrote:Yes I agree with stumpjumper about the current RAH site being used for tertiary institutions. The Unis are doing very well for themselves at the moment and they definately need more space. The foreign students boom is great for the state in the long term, as not only do they put us Ozzies through relatively cheap tertiary education and also provide us with great new facilities 8) ... but they also raise the profile of the state to overseas investors and migration when they return home to India/China/Malaysia etc which can only be a good thing...
And with that sort of thinking when people ask you where your from and you say Adelaide they go "oh yeah i know where that is" rather than "where the fucks that? is that some country town?".

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#144 Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:29 pm

Did anyone here read amanda blair's column toady in the Sunday Mail?
i agree with her whole heartedly.

MaximumForce
Donating Member
Donating Member

#145 Post by MaximumForce » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:31 pm

Hey my render is up on the main page. A little "Thanks to MaximumForce" perhaps? :lol:

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#146 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:36 pm

Thank you soo much max force!!!! hahaha

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#147 Post by Howie » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:07 am

MaximumForce wrote:Hey my render is up on the main page. A little "Thanks to MaximumForce" perhaps? :lol:
Ah props to you buddy.

MaximumForce
Donating Member
Donating Member

#148 Post by MaximumForce » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:05 pm

Haha Thanks!

Sniff... wipes tear from eye...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#149 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhPBBVC0ZQ

All about the Botanic Gardens redevelopment :)

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

#150 Post by littledyl16 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:06 am

Yeah Cruise Control, i read that article by Amanda Blair, i dont exactly agree to calling 'The Marjorie Jackson Nelson Hospital'
i mean hey, she was a great woman, but when it comes to the name i think we should have stuck with RAH, its our main hospital, and is supposed to be the most advanced once built, then it should have Adelaide in its name, so that way Adelaide will become known as the worlds leading health care provider. But we have long needed a new hospital for a while. I was in the resedential wing the other week, and it is so run down, all their elevators except the patient transport lifts are ancient, and as for the comment made earlier in the forum, about the main floor being the second floor, when you take the escalator in the main entrance, you go to the fifth floor, confusing. And i love the idea for a train station for it as well.