[COM] New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $2.1b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

[COM] RAH discussion

#586 Post by stumpjumper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:18 am

It's just a pity such a brilliant, gateway site has been used for a non-public utility like a hospital, whatever they do with the facade.

Imagine that whole precinct - lake, old gaol, Bonython Park to the north - with the police moving out of Thebarton Barracks there would have been a chance to link all that up with the edge of the city.

There was an opportunity here for some large-scale thinking here, the sort that posters here constantly claim is missing in Adelaide. There's 'Riverbank Precinct' underway immediately to the east, and a university full of people across the road with no outdoor recreation area, so what do you build on this pivotal site? A water treatment facility? An electricity substation? Almost as bad in planning terms - a hospital.

There are a thousand great uses for a site like that, but I cannot think of any good reason for building as hospital on it.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: SWP: New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $1.7b

#587 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 am

it is called Stubbornness, and worse yet, it is old man stubbornness linked in with a desire have a legacy – the worst things you can possibly have when going into any argument.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#588 Post by stumpjumper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Yes, I was going to mention that, but I thought I do enough whingeing about the govt on here as it is, but the last thing that site should be used for is a monument to Rann, Conlon and Foley when there are so many more interesting and effective uses for such a site.

Nort

#589 Post by Nort » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Where would you have built a new city hospital then?

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#590 Post by Pants » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:55 pm

stumpjumper wrote:It's just a pity such a brilliant, gateway site has been used for a non-public utility like a hospital, whatever they do with the facade.

Imagine that whole precinct - lake, old gaol, Bonython Park to the north - with the police moving out of Thebarton Barracks there would have been a chance to link all that up with the edge of the city.

There was an opportunity here for some large-scale thinking here, the sort that posters here constantly claim is missing in Adelaide. There's 'Riverbank Precinct' underway immediately to the east, and a university full of people across the road with no outdoor recreation area, so what do you build on this pivotal site? A water treatment facility? An electricity substation? Almost as bad in planning terms - a hospital.

There are a thousand great uses for a site like that, but I cannot think of any good reason for building as hospital on it.
This is one of those rare occasions I agree with you.

I'm resigned to the fact that the hospital's going ahead though, so have come to accept it - on the proviso that they put the other available space to good use.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#591 Post by Pants » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Nort wrote:Where would you have built a new city hospital then?
Keswick. Not CBD, but close enough.

Waewick

#592 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm

or...just leave it where it is :lol:

rhino

#593 Post by rhino » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:15 pm

Pants wrote:
Can't wait to hear Aiden's response to this. He said moving the hospital 1km further along North Terrace was putting Eastern Suburbs dwellers at a disadvantage.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#594 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:17 pm

should we perhaps move this to the other thread to avoid derailing it....

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#595 Post by Pants » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:33 pm

rhino wrote:
Pants wrote:
Can't wait to hear Aiden's response to this. He said moving the hospital 1km further along North Terrace was putting Eastern Suburbs dwellers at a disadvantage.
Is he the subway dude?

That just might be your answer.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#596 Post by AtD » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 pm

After four years can you please just accept that it's going to be built where it is going to be built and find something less repetitive to talk about.

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#597 Post by contractor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 pm

metro
Legendary Member!

#598 Post by metro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:17 pm

contractor wrote:.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#599 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:56 am

This is one of those rare occasions I agree with you.
Why, thank you Pants. I feel that my efforts on this forum have not been wasted...

I also agree that the horse has bolted, but a little reflection can sometimes improve future decision-making (not that such decisions are made here, worse luck).

Aidan

#600 Post by Aidan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:49 am

Pants wrote:
rhino wrote:
Pants wrote:[
Can't wait to hear Aiden's response to this.
I've already explained why I, like many others here, think an onsite rebuild is by far the best option. I'm happy to clarify any issues you might have with it, but just repeating my opinion over and over is rather a waste of time.
He said moving the hospital 1km further along North Terrace was putting Eastern Suburbs dwellers at a disadvantage.
And I stand by that comment. In our increasingly gridlocked City, ambulances will take longer to get there, and there's no alternative hospital for the Eastern Suburbs.
Is he the subway dude?

That just might be your answer.
Living near the Noarlunga Line (where trains travel past the City to dump all its passengers right on its edge) I make no apologies for stressing the importance of extending the line under the City to get the passengers nearer to their destination more quickly, as every other mainland state capital has already done.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.