[COM] New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $2.1b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: RAH discussion

#616 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Well done, that man! (AG)

Thankyou for the map, and also your informative assesment of the area of concern.
cheers,
Rhino

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#617 Post by AG » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Here's a map of the four sets of fault lines which run through metropolitan Adelaide, also from "Engineering Geology of the Adelaide City Area". Click on the thumbnail for the larger version which is a lot easier to see in detail.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#618 Post by Howie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks AG, i've overlayed it on Google Earth to make it easier to see where the suburbs are.
Attachments
faultb.jpg
faultb.jpg (106.75 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
faulta.jpg
faulta.jpg (100.62 KiB) Viewed 3781 times

Xaragmata

[COM] Re: SWP: New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $1.7b

#619 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Demolition of car sheds continuing - Thursday:

http://xaragmata.cable.nu/album/adelaid ... _4845.html

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#620 Post by Pikey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:55 am

The sheds, and offices are now completely gone, and the tracks are all up, just waiting for removal.

Next step will be the soil remediation, the official construction can begin!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#621 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 am

Pikey wrote:Next step will be the soil remediation
How is this done? i seem to remember (in another thread far far away) there being a local company who removes contamination from soil (by the truckload).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#622 Post by Pikey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 am

Wayno wrote:
How is this done? i seem to remember (in another thread far far away) there being a local company who removes contamination from soil (by the truckload).
Essentially, that's it. I'm not quite sure what depth they have to go to, it depends what was there before (the areas near the service sheds would have to go deeper as opposed to a far off holding section)

Should be interesting to watch!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#623 Post by victorious80 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:18 pm

great to see things progressing here!

regarding soil remediation, depending on the level of contamination, the likelihood of leaching into groundwater and the future use of the land, not all the contaminated soil will have to be removed from site. it may be able to stay on site, albeit buried in a known location that will not be disturbed in the future, and at a known depth (for future reference).

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#624 Post by Wayno » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Fair enough, we can't have one rule for private enterprise, and another for govt.
AN ADELAIDE City Councillor has accused the State Government of acting as if it is "above the law".

Today it was revealed the February 21 demolition of rail sheds on the site, attended by Premier Mike Rann and sold as a "new chapter" in the state's history, was done without council permission. The State Government has confirmed it will seek retrospective approval for the destruction in its broader RAH application.

Veteran councillor Anne Moran, also a member of the council's Development Assessment Panel, today told AdelaideNow she would push for maximum penalties over the incident.

Ms Moran said the Government should willingly subject itself to penalties to avoid perceptions it was being given "special treatment".

"We should treat them just like any other bad developer," she said. "Justice should be seen to be done as well as done.

"When this planning law is so casually flouted, in full knowledge of the law, I think whatever penalties apply in this case should be applied. "It looks like they're saying: `The laws don't apply to me'.

Ms Moran said she would ensure the incident received special attention at the council's next planning meeting.

"We probably would have said yes, but that's not the point," she said. "Planning laws say you need to get permission."

State planning laws include significant penalties for construction or demolition without official approval and may lead to protracted court action and fines.

The sheds were removed as the final step in shifting Adelaide's rail operations from North Tce to Dry Creek and clearing the site for the RAH.

The Opposition has branded the bungle a major embarrassment which raises questions about the Government's ability to build the hospital on time and budget.

The dispute comes at a time of sensitive negotiations between the council and Government over developments including Adelaide Oval and Victoria Square.

An Adelaide City Council spokeswoman yesterday confirmed approval had not been granted before work commenced and said a retrospective application was expected to be lodged by the end of the week.

"Council was made aware that demolition work had begun on the new Royal Adelaide Hospital site and has been in consultation with the State Government to get the necessary development application lodged," she said.

Infrastructure Minister Pat Conlon said it appeared correct process had not been followed but insisted the error could be corrected.

"I am told there is a view separate approval should have been sought for the old sheds themselves but in my view this a mere technicality," he said.

"The structures were of no heritage value and it would have been a mere formality for such approval to have been granted. They will be formally approved in the RAH process."

Plans for the $1.7 billion hospital have been endorsed by Adelaide City Council and will now be considered by the state's Development Assessment Commission, which has final approval.

Opposition planning spokesman David Ridgway said the unapproved destruction could be illegal and did not bode well for the future of the RAH project.

"It just shows how incompetent they are that they can't even get an approval to demolish some sheds," he said yesterday.

"It's meant to be the jewel in their crown and they can't even get the simple things right."
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Aidan

#625 Post by Aidan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:05 pm

Wayno wrote:Fair enough, we can't have one rule for private enterprise, and another for govt.
Agreed, but it does raise an interesting question: why should any owners of redundant industrial buildings which aren't heritage listed need council approval to demolish them?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

metro
Legendary Member!

#626 Post by metro » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:32 pm

my parents didnt get council permission to demolish an old 2 car garage in their front yard a few years ago, council didnt fine them even though the mayor was living across the road. I guess because it was such an eyesore and they were probably happy to see it go and be replaced with something better.

but then this was another council and not the ACC :lol:

Nort

#627 Post by Nort » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:33 pm

Someone missed a piece of paperwork on a meaningless technicality, get it filed, not a big deal.

It's not like they were trying to sneakily get rid of the rail yards, as the article says the hospital itself already has approval, so it's not like anyone expecting the sheds to be staying there.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#628 Post by Pants » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Yep. Anne Moran's just trying to get her name in the papers again.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#629 Post by mattblack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:41 am

Pikey wrote:
Wayno wrote:
Essentially, that's it. I'm not quite sure what depth they have to go to, it depends what was there before (the areas near the service sheds would have to go deeper as opposed to a far off holding section)

Should be interesting to watch!
Most of the site will be covered by a concrete slab so the contamination will essentially be capped so the amount of remediation needed might not be as much as people think, although will still significant.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#630 Post by Professor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Yes I can see the council's point in complaining that the sheds have disappeared without their permission. The lovely heritage train sheds and high quality rail yards were sooooo attractive and worthy of their continued presence. From today.
Attachments
IMG_1786.jpg
IMG_1786.jpg (239.15 KiB) Viewed 3214 times