Adelaide University - Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Zills
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Adelaide Uni: COM Engineering, PRO Union Hall, UC Hughes

#226 Post by Zills » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:38 pm

baytram366 wrote:I may get some trash and old stale food thrown at me here but I am actually a fan of Union Hall and have been interested in this building for some time. I actually managed to get some fairly average photos of it a few months back and haven't had the time to go back since to get more but it sounds like I am too late. It will be a sad sight to see this building get demolished like so many other of Adelaide's fine buildings. Soon all we will have is boring glass towers that have no historical value... take a drive to Bendigo one day and take a look at how old and new should be mixed together... (eg. the Bendigo Bank building standing proudly next to the Family Hotel).
Anyone know when the Hall will start to be demolished?
No trash, just an opinion:
-When comfort, safety and facilities start to get past their use by date, it's time to go..(old buildings are death traps)
-a D grade building = D grade productivity
-aesthetics are over rated, change is a good thing :) (but i do agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder!)

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#227 Post by iTouch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:29 pm

the thing is, I may want the building gone, but I don't want another glass box with glass plates sticking out randomly.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#228 Post by Just build it » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:45 pm

I can't fault Bendigo's respect for it's heritage but IMHO the same new/old mix already exists throughout Adelaide's CBD on a larger and grander scale. Interstate visitors with an eye for architecture have commented to me on how well we're doing it many times.

I'm a fan of significant heritage buildings and I'm all for their protection but I'm against protections for ordinary outdated buildings just because they've stood for 'x' number of decades. To me, either the construction method, design or history must be outstanding and I don't see anything outstanding in Union Hall. It's just unfortunate that a lot of the time the new developments proposed aren't outstanding either but so long as they're more purposeful and focused to modern requirements it's still a gain for the site I guess.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#229 Post by Isiskii » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:52 am

I think a good example of how heritage is determined is not so much whether the design or the aesthetics of that building has been there for a period of time, but moreso whether that detail of its archietcture/construction methodology/aethestics have been similarly replicated elsewhere within the same locality.

To put into context, Melbourne can afford to demolish and rejuvenate many properties of Victorian influence, as its properties are so prevalent throughout the city, as opposed to a structure of Spanish influential architecture which are more of a rarity.

Then again, it could be argued on the other hand that having many examples of Victorian architecture contributes to the characteristics and appeal within a certain area in the city - a historical precinct.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#230 Post by Ben » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:25 pm

On Thursday DAC meeting the DAC staff have recommended this proposal be approved.

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#231 Post by Benski81 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:39 am

I'm glad to see this go, I did my degree at Adelaide Uni and Union Hall was terrible. From an economics point of view we need to keep capitalising on education exports to drive growth, particularly in view of increased competition from countries like the US and UK, who as a result of the GFC have specifically targeted education as an alternative source of growth for their economies and this has caused year to date international student commencements to drop in Australia by 45% from last year (ABS figures to August).

Education is now one of Adelaide's main industries and we need key infrastructure to remain competitive in this area. So the way I see it is the opportunity cost of not knocking it down is too great, but let's build some new heritage in the process.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#232 Post by Will » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:53 am

From the Advertiser:

I strongly reccomend if anyone is interested to take photos of Union Hall this weekend. I doubt it will survive for much longer.
Curtain falls on Union Hall

TIM LLOYD From: AdelaideNow October 15, 2010 12:01AM

THE Development Assessment Commission sealed the fate of Union Hall late yesterday, but it was already a done deal at the University of Adelaide.
The blue construction site fences were up and a large McMahon Services sign proclaimed the building was a demolition and asbestos removal site.

One of the two elms framing the hall was in the final stages of being chopped down.

At the commission meeting at Roma Mitchell House on North Terrace, the seven-member panel was still clearing away the final regulatory barriers to demolishing Union Hall and removing the two significant trees.

The panel's deliberations had been brought forward after Heritage Minister Paul Caica last month over-ruled his own Heritage Council to prevent the theatre going on the State Heritage Register.

The inevitable decision was reached in the late afternoon: Subject to minor changes to the design of the six-storey, $77 million Photonics Centre, including a one metre reduction in height and a minor increase in setback, the Union Hall could be demolished and the new development was approved.

Heritage campaigners have fought all year for recognition and protection of the building as a nationally significant example of a modernist theatre, with a design by prominent Adelaide architect Louis Laybourne Smith to suit the environs of the adjacent Barr Smith Library.

Arts campaigners have been equally incensed by the move to demolish one of the city's most successful full-function theatres.

National Trust president David Beaumont last night said that a year's work by heritage campaigners had gone into Union Hall's defence.

"I will be absolutely devastated when that building is demolished," he said.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#233 Post by baytram366 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Can someone please get some photos who is able to get into the city as I won't be able to make it this week... pretty please :)
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#234 Post by Pikey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:28 pm

You may be too late, I can see a mobile crane from my office window at the Uni, could be on it's way down now.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#235 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:02 am

baytram366 wrote:Can someone please get some photos who is able to get into the city as I won't be able to make it this week... pretty please :)
I walked back that way from Adelaide Oval yesterday - they were lifting brick pavers...

This is probably the crane Pikey saw...

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#236 Post by AG » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:17 am

That mobile crane has been stationed on the Hughes Plaza reconstruction site for a few weeks now. It'll be at least another couple of weeks before Union Hall is demolished.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#237 Post by Will » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm

This is an image of the building that will replace Union Hall:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#238 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:58 pm

You might want to resize it :P

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#239 Post by AtD » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm

I expected something taller for that site, given how constrained for space Adelaide Uni is. :?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#240 Post by AG » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:45 pm

The external demolition of Union Hall began today, so it won't be there at all very soon.