[ City Central ] Masterplan Thread

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Professor
High Rise Poster!

Re: #U/C: [ City Central ] Masterplan Thread

#166 Post by Professor » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:35 pm

I am hoping that the new carpark area to the west of the Post Office is to replace the fenced off carpark that covers the next office building site that will (hopefully) start construction one day soooooooon...

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#167 Post by UrbanSG » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:07 pm

The steel work is for the mansard roof for Electra House. The frame for this roof has been assembled in the vacant area adjacent Electra House.

Here is a pic of the road / pedestrian works occuring, taken today:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#168 Post by Will » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:46 am

Found these interesting videos on the Woods Bagot website. They encompass a small documentary about City Central. Be sure to check out the first video as it shows an aerial 3-D perspective of the City Central masterplan including what appears to be the centrepiece tower which may rival for our new tallest.

http://www.woodsbagot.com/en/Pages/City ... ower1.aspx

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#169 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:03 am

Great find Will. That centre building does look like a rival to our tallest, hopefully by that stage they will get over this pod fad.

I can't get audio for the videos on this computer but it would be good if Mike Rann was saying we will tenant more City Central buildings instead of the recent decisions by Government to tenant campus developments. Can only dream I suppose :D

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#170 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:20 am

A couple of screen shots from the video (not the best quality):

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#171 Post by Shuz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:24 pm

The centerpiece tower, as displayed in the videos appears only about 103m tall - compliant with maximum height limit. Let's hope the ACC development review will rectify this, and encourage a new tallest on this particular site.

Hate to say it also, but looks like they're sticking with the pod theme. Maybe it shouldn't be City Central, but rather Pod Central. :P

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#172 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Videos are up.

City Central Documentary - Woodsbagot - Benefits to the Workplace

City Central Documentary - Woodsbagot - Future Proofing

City Central Documentary - Woodsbagot - Tenants Perspective

City Central Documentary - Woodsbagot - Team Approach

City Central Documentary - Woodsbagot - Tackling Climate Change

City Central Documentary - Woodsbagot - Innovations

City Central Documentary - Woodsbagot - History of the Site

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#173 Post by frank1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:29 pm

On the plus side if all the buildings look the same, it will become a land mark in the city. People will say 'yeah i work at city central' and everyone will know where that is.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#174 Post by Prince George » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:46 pm

I thought the "benefits to the workplace" vid was interesting, extolling the virtues of providing views and fresh air to the staff. Of course, it's then up to the tenant how they deploy themselves within those spaces, and whether they can avoid going along the "traditional" route of lining the windows with executive offices (windows being a status symbol in an office environment). That's one of the things that I really didn't like about the floor plans for Aurora.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#175 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:08 pm

I had to scoff when it was said that, in accordance with sustainability principles, the building was not designed to be there for just 5-10 years but for 20-40 years. That seems a fairly elementary understanding of sustainability. It also humoured me to hear Tower 2 described as representing the vibrancy and beauty of South Australia...
Keep Adelaide Weird

gumbi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#176 Post by gumbi » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:01 am

I don't want to be ignorant but I'm new to the website so I just have a question about this development. Why has it stalled for so long? The Electra building has been sitting there for a long time now and the site west of the GPO also lies undeveloped.

I just have another comment about the office tower on the corner of King William which stands behind the GPO. What is with the exposed concrete wall facing south? I quite like the building aside from this feature. Was it left like this to maintain the presence of the GPO clock tower?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#177 Post by AtD » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:21 am

Welcome to the site.

It's presumably taking so long because they have either no funding singed up and/or no tenants signed up. In today's market they generally don't start building things until there's enough of it leased off the plan.

There's a blank wall to the south because that's a property boundary and another building may go there in the future. Any wall that is on a boundary, by law, must be fireproof which generally means no windows at all. Most sites at least paint these walls, alas not this one.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#178 Post by Howie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi all,

New renders courtesy of Ben. Thanks mate.
They are updated renders of CC8. they have amended the design due to "Tenant demands" Looks like this will commence later this year, now it has pre commitment. These changes are to be supported on Monday's DAP meeting, but ultimately will rest with Dac in a few week

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#179 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:04 pm

If they could have some actual (as opposed to virtual) vertical gardens on the west wall. that would be awesome. The Franklyn St facade is the big let-down with this one, for me.
cheers,
Rhino

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#180 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:15 pm

I suspect they've scored the 30,000sqm ATO lease that has been thrown around for a few months now. That is, of course, unless someone else is looking but not advertising the fact.

Today's AFR called the 15,000sqm Origin lease "on hold" rather than scrapped.