[COM] Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Dog
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/R: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#241 Post by Dog » Thu May 08, 2014 4:12 pm

The little jewel box can never be as ugly as the concrete block wall of the old tax building on the other side of Edmond Wright house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#242 Post by slenderman » Thu May 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Dog wrote:The little jewel box can never be as ugly as the concrete block wall of the old tax building on the other side of Edmond Wright house.

Yes, it's an ugly blank wall on a rather ugly 1970s building (not the worst 70s building in Adelaide by a long way though), but I suspect there's a reason for that wall existing. Back in the 70s they planned to knock down Edmund Wright House and put up a 19 storey tower there. Why should they have built a non-blank wall there if it would be blocked out? Then again, the south wall of the this building also has a blank wall, and I believe that ugly little white box south of the building, on the corner of Currie Street, was built before the old tax building, so this theory could go up in flames there.

Back on topic, I posted a while ago that the CML building used to have double windows, which were merged in the 1980s mutilation of the building. I asked if it would have been possible to restore these windows, but nobody answered. Any idea if it would it have been possible or not?

Also, whenever I'm in the mall, I notice that some bright spark at some stage broke into the building, got to the top floor, got out onto the roof and vandalised the top part of the building. Has this been fixed yet?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#243 Post by Wayno » Thu May 08, 2014 6:28 pm

slenderman wrote:Back on topic, I posted a while ago that the CML building used to have double windows, which were merged in the 1980s mutilation of the building. I asked if it would have been possible to restore these windows, but nobody answered. Any idea if it would it have been possible or not?
Anything is possible with sufficient $$$. Does anyone have any pre-mutilation pictures. My interest has been piqued!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#244 Post by Nathan » Thu May 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Wayno wrote: Does anyone have any pre-mutilation pictures. My interest has been piqued!

Waewick

#245 Post by Waewick » Thu May 08, 2014 10:11 pm

I actually like the open windows better

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#246 Post by Wayno » Fri May 09, 2014 8:34 am

thanks Nathan. Looked much better pre-1980's imho. Perfect visual alignment with the lvl 2 & lvl 9 arches & upper windows. Shame it was bastardised.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#247 Post by Vee » Fri May 09, 2014 8:45 am

Wayno wrote:thanks Nathan. Looked much better pre-1980's imho. Perfect visual alignment with the lvl 2 & lvl 9 arches & upper windows. Shame it was bastardised.
Agree, Wayno.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#248 Post by Honey of a City » Fri May 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wayno wrote: Does anyone have any pre-mutilation pictures. My interest has been piqued!

Looks like a nice building on the left, long gone, where the "jewel box" now is.

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#249 Post by stronic » Sat May 17, 2014 4:19 pm

I've always wondered what stood where the "jewel box" is currently and thought it would have probably been a nice historic building. That picture above confirms this. Why oh why did we destroy our heritage? :| It's just as bad as what's going on in the suburbs with the most austere, out-of-place modern houses going up everywhere. Depressing! Have some taste people.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#250 Post by notmichaeljfox » Fri May 30, 2014 8:59 am

The covers are coming down. It's very shiny in the morning light. Image

[Shuz]

#251 Post by [Shuz] » Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm

I expected more to be honest. There's too many grey panels. Needs more of the green glass.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Patrick_27

#252 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:51 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I expected more to be honest. There's too many grey panels. Needs more of the green glass.
I expected more too, more window panels and I thought the grey panels was meant to be dark, almost like a black? It might have something to do with the fact that there are rooms inside this area, privacy perhaps?

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#253 Post by slenderman » Fri May 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Gee, that's incredibly underwhelming. The green glass looks very nice, but as Shuz mentioned, there's far too much grey glass, and the grey is far too light as Patrick mentioned. It might be poor lighting though, although I still suspect the grey is too light. The building doesn't juxtapose the heritage on either side of it very nicely. The pattern of the green glass that IS on the box doesn't look visually appealing either. It's an improvement on what was there before, no doubt, but still nothing special.

Oh yeah, and on another note, off topic. The hideous little grey 3 storey monstrosity between the CML and the Paringa hotel on Hindley Street is IMO the ugliest building in Adelaide, uglier than the Telstra Exchange. Knock it down immediately please.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#254 Post by Dog » Fri May 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Wonder what it looks like lit up at night? Possibly a Christmas present just needs a bow on top.

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#255 Post by obituary resider » Fri May 30, 2014 10:36 pm

gaawwdd what a lack lustre effort. has ended up looking horrendously cheap and tacky. :toilet: