[COM] Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1519
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 468 times
Been thanked: 695 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#301 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:55 am

They've done an awesome job on that place - and I really like the jewel box too. Not sure about the funny gold curtains they seem to have put up at the ground floor windows now - but other than that it's a 10/10 from me.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#302 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:40 am

Llessur2002 wrote:They've done an awesome job on that place - and I really like the jewel box too. Not sure about the funny gold curtains they seem to have put up at the ground floor windows now - but other than that it's a 10/10 from me.
I could be wrong, but I think those are temporary to cover the empty shop spaces? I agree they are hideous.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1519
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 468 times
Been thanked: 695 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#303 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:36 am

monotonehell wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:They've done an awesome job on that place - and I really like the jewel box too. Not sure about the funny gold curtains they seem to have put up at the ground floor windows now - but other than that it's a 10/10 from me.
I could be wrong, but I think those are temporary to cover the empty shop spaces? I agree they are hideous.
There are retail units on the ground floor? I didn't realise that.

I'm pretty sure they've curtained off the lobby area - I get off the bus at the infamous X1 stop and enjoyed seeing the lobby take shape over the weeks leading up to the opening. Now they've hidden it. Perhaps it's to prevent hotel patrons from having to view us 'bus people'...

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1799
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 228 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#304 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:They've done an awesome job on that place - and I really like the jewel box too. Not sure about the funny gold curtains they seem to have put up at the ground floor windows now - but other than that it's a 10/10 from me.
I could be wrong, but I think those are temporary to cover the empty shop spaces? I agree they are hideous.
There are retail units on the ground floor? I didn't realise that.

I'm pretty sure they've curtained off the lobby area - I get off the bus at the infamous X1 stop and enjoyed seeing the lobby take shape over the weeks leading up to the opening. Now they've hidden it. Perhaps it's to prevent hotel patrons from having to view us 'bus people'...
From what it would seem, there are three retail spots on the ground level... One on both the northern and southern corners of the building and one on the southern side next to the corner which is a coffee shop.

The curtains are part of the hotel and they look pretty messy...

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1799
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 228 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#305 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Also, couldn't help but notice that one of the two flag-poles on the front of the building is not longer there? Did it all down, or was it taken down? Either way, it looks tacky.

User avatar
metro
Legendary Member!
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 371 times
Been thanked: 49 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#306 Post by metro » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Also, couldn't help but notice that one of the two flag-poles on the front of the building is not longer there? Did it all down, or was it taken down? Either way, it looks tacky.
or perhaps someone in council didn't like the flag-signs and demanded the hotel to take them down :roll:

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1799
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 228 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#307 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:53 pm

metro wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Also, couldn't help but notice that one of the two flag-poles on the front of the building is not longer there? Did it all down, or was it taken down? Either way, it looks tacky.
or perhaps someone in council didn't like the flag-signs and demanded the hotel to take them down :roll:
Well, the two flag poles were part of the original building, one flag pole still remains with the Mayfair flag still flying, but the other pole is completely gone. It's as though it was removed due to safety reasons or something... Because it doesn't look like it's snapped off at all, looks like it's been carefully removed...

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6825
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 291 times
Been thanked: 1150 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#308 Post by Ben » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:32 am

August Towers display office has opened in one of the retail tenancies.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1799
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 228 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#309 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:13 am

Ben wrote:August Towers display office has opened in one of the retail tenancies.
Really? What a joke!

Also, why towerS?? It's one building.

Dvious
Legendary Member!
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 32 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#310 Post by Dvious » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Why is that a joke? That spot has some of the highest foot traffic in the CBD, and it would also aim to potentially attract those that may be staying at the Mayfair.

It is not a big deal, mate.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 51 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#311 Post by how good is he » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:54 pm

I also think it's the same owner/developer of the Mayfair Hotel who is doing August Towers, thus the connection.
Also why it's "towers" (from the Architects comments in the Messenger) - "the apartment tower will be enveloped in frameless glass on all sides to give a twin tower visual effect."

User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1519
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 468 times
Been thanked: 695 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#312 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:36 pm


User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 153 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#313 Post by Algernon » Tue May 17, 2016 9:31 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Quite interesting...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-17/i ... ng/7420816
That's a seriously good get, thanks for posting.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1602
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#314 Post by ghs » Tue May 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Has anyone been to the rooftop bar ?

Is it like 2KW ?

RoiMartel
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 am
Been thanked: 6 times

[COM] Re: Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

#315 Post by RoiMartel » Wed May 18, 2016 7:28 am

ghs wrote:Has anyone been to the rooftop bar ?

Is it like 2KW ?
I was given a guided tour by the overly pretentious concierge a few months ago. He was so proud of the fact that its 1 metre higher up than 2KW.
Anyway, its an OK bar, nice rooftop area and it has a dedicated smokers balcony.
IMO, 2KW is better.

Side note; beware of the cougers up there.....

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests